Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone that has experience HF or etching tubs for resurfacing

I would like to know how much I can dilute it when used to prepare porcelain. It is purchased at 48% in 500 ml container.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:14:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I would like to know how much I can dilute it when used to prepare porcelain. It is purchased at 48% in 500 ml container.

I assume that by HF you mean hydrofluoric acid? I am a professional chemist with a PhD in same. I am a retired chemistry professor, having taught at a major midwest university for 34 years. (I'm not trying to impress you, just to show you that I have those credentials.) Therefore, I can safely say that HF is EXTREMELY corrosive and dangerous to use. I myself tried to avoid employing it in any way in my research or teaching unless absolutely necessary. As you know, it even attacks glass, and in the old days, before polyethylene bottles were invented, it had to be stored in either wax or rubber containers. Absolutely avoid even the slightest contact with skin. With the other strong mineral acids, such as HCl, nitric, and sulfuric, one can tolerate brief contact of a small amount with the skin if the acid is washed off reasonably soon. Not so with HF. It immediatley premeates through the skin and gets to the bone, where it literally fluoridates the bone matter. The bone has to be scraped to get it off, and the pain is said to be terrible and longlasting. Therefore, in all good faith and with all good intentions, I strongly advise you against using this stuff, unless, of course, you are a trained professional. Even then BE CAREFUL! (Btw, diluting it, or any other strong acid, is an exothermic process that produces quite a bit of heat.)
All the best to you. ;-)
JimCo
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimCo" wrote in message
[...]

{{

I have a question unrelated to this tread.

We have had problems with a store brand powered dishwasher soap. (other
brands have not been a problem) etching the glasses and everyday silverware
(mostly stainless) as well as plastic cooking tools.

Spoke to the HQ of the store and the CS representative told my wife, very
empatically, that the problem the problem *was* due to having both stainless
(8-18) and aluminum in the same wash batch. FWIW there was no aluminum in
the mix at the time the problem occurred but that point did not seem to
matter to the CS troop.

I'm a retired engineer (EE) and have not had classes or been in a lab for
near 40 years but none of this makes any sense to me.

Used hot tubs stryped[_3_] Metalworking 6 April 4th 11 10:44 PM
Excellent resources on Hot tubs,Hot tub Maintenance,Hot tubs andSpas! Avin UK diy 0 September 28th 09 11:59 AM
Hot Tubs [email protected] Home Ownership 0 November 2nd 07 01:42 AM
Hot Tubs Terry UK diy 3 February 28th 06 08:20 PM
Hot Tubs Terry Home Repair 0 February 27th 06 04:14 PM