Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Security Light

My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that for the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway, but the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang. seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to put in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt that it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that for the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway, but the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang. seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to put in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt that it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

Hi,
Does sensor have a shade like camera shade on it and/or is there an
adjustment for setting the sensor sensitivity. My El Cheapo 9.99
security flood light has two adjustment. sensitivity, turn off delay,
If there is no adjustment try blocking the sensor opening partially with
piece of black tape like a shutter. May have to fiddle with it few times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 7:22*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that for the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway, but the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang.. seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to put in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt that it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

Did it ever work? If so, then it would sound like it's
the photoelectric sensor that's kaput. I don't buy the
idea that it has to face north. If anything that would make
the light go off easier, because more light would hit it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that
for the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway,
but the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall
the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang.
seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she
isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to
put in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt
that it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

Installation recommendations for dusk/dawn controls are that they face north
so that direct sunlight doesn't fall on the photocell. That gives the best
on and off times -- not too dark, not too light. The sensor with the
strange plug is a standard street light type. It locks into place and then
either the socket or the sensor head is designed to be rotated.

In your friend's situation, aim the sensor opening toward the north and then
rotate it until it "sees" a bit of sky.

Mercury vapor ballasts and lamps are now obsolete and will no longer be sold
once existing stocks are gone, but they last a long time -- typically 24,000
or more hours. Dusk-to-dawn operation is about 4,000 hours/year.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that
for the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway,
but the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall
the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang.
seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she
isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to
put in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt
that it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

*Put the new sensor in and see what happens. It sounds like it is a
standard twist lock type. Plug it in and rotate it until it locks in place.
Sometimes there is a shade that can be adjusted to the proper direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 07:04:53 -0500, "HeyBub"

wrote:
My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage
that for the most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it
needed it anyway, but the guy doing her handyman stuff says the
sensor has to face north. the wall the light is mounted on faces
east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang. seems like it would
make more sense to face east or even south east, but she isn't sure
if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to
put in with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong
plug, I doubt that it can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

Did it ever work? If so, then it would sound like it's
the photoelectric sensor that's kaput. I don't buy the
idea that it has to face north. If anything that would make
the light go off easier, because more light would hit it.

Better?:
"... go ON easier, because LESS light would hit it."

Maybe he is in New Zealand
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that for the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway, but the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang. seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to put in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt that it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

Did it ever work? *If so, then it would sound like it's
the photoelectric sensor that's kaput. * I don't buy the
idea that it has to face north. *If anything that would make
the light go off easier, because more light would hit it.

North facing is the recommended alignment for PE sensors in that
application because it gives the best result.- Hide quoted text -

It may give the best result but it has nothing to do with
the light not turning off, which is the issue at hand.
Which direction receives the least light? You have
some half-assed handyman attributing the fact that
it won't turn off to the fact that it's facing north. I
say BS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that for
the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway, but
the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang.
seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to put
in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt that
it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

Could be a cruddy switch. G.F. has a motion-sensing security light in
the carport that was staying on. There were a couple of slide switches
and a potentiometer on it. The pot adjusts sensitivity, and the slide
switches adjust ON time and override the motion-sensing feature so it
can be manually operated. At any rate, I "fixed" it by exercising the
switches and pot.

Your friend's is apparently a dusk-to-dawn (light sensing) rather than
motion-sensing, but either way you'll likely find one or more switches
on the sensor that haven't been touched in years. Exercise them, spray
'em with WD-40 or contact cleaner, or replace. Of course, the sensor
window could be getting cloudy, or the sensor could be failing for some
other reason, but the switch manipulation is a good first effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 10:39*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

[...]

Excellent suggestion!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

granted that the handyman is probably out of his depth with this particular
issue
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

[...]

as of this moment, it appears that putting a replacement sensor has solved the
problem. I'm a little leery of saying it's cured because she's got another set
of security lights that get "cured" and work for a bit and then decide they
won't.

But thanks to everyone for the help. I didn't actually see the installation but
did see the replacement sensor and it didn't have a "shad" or adjustment
switches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

as of this moment, it appears that putting a replacement sensor has solved the
problem. I'm a little leery of saying it's cured because she's got another set
of security lights that get "cured" and work for a bit and then decide they
won't.

But thanks to everyone for the help. I didn't actually see the installation but
did see the replacement sensor and it didn't have a "shad" or adjustment
switches.

Yah, I feel your pain. It has been my experience too that the
consumer-grade motion sensors and photocells purchased from McLowesDepot
are garbage. Seems they last a few months and then die. I gave up on
them but maybe a sensor from an electrical supply house might last longer???
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

as of this moment, it appears that putting a replacement sensor has solved
the problem. I'm a little leery of saying it's cured because she's got
another set of security lights that get "cured" and work for a bit and then
decide they won't.

But thanks to everyone for the help. I didn't actually see the installation
but did see the replacement sensor and it didn't have a "shad" or adjustment
switches.

happy to report that after 24 hours the light is functioning as it should

Posted to alt.home.repair

My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on her garage that for the
most part won't turn off. she's replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway, but the
guy doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face north. the wall the
light is mounted on faces east, north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang. seems
like it would make more sense to face east or even south east, but she isn't
sure if the sensor is able to be rotated and since she has a new one to put in
with what looks like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt that it
can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

If the light stays on the only likely culprit is the sensor, which you
replaced.

They should face north because direct sunlight on the sensor tends to
kill it. It won't last as long depending on the sunlight exposure.

I don't remember how it works, but the top can be rotated relative to
the base.

I hope the installer figured out the plug is twist lock and should be
inserted and twisted clockwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:
wrote:
My friend has a 100 watt mercury vapor security light on
her garage that for the most part won't turn off. she's
replaced the bulb, it needed it anyway, but the guy
doing her handyman stuff says the sensor has to face
north. the wall the light is mounted on faces east,
north faces a 12 to 18 inch roof overhang. seems like it
would make more sense to face east or even south east,
but she isn't sure if the sensor is able to be rotated
and since she has a new one to put in with what looks
like a weird electrical outlet three prong plug, I doubt
that it can be rotated. Any recommended fixes?

Did it ever work? If so, then it would sound like it's
the photoelectric sensor that's kaput. I don't buy the
idea that it has to face north. If anything that would
make
the light go off easier, because more light would hit it.

have to agree; the sensor is the major component and as long as the bulb
contacts the internal contacts, it's positioned where light isn't shaded,
sensor is properly wired, then it should work. In the 30 years here we've
only ever replaced the sensor one time and had to reset the screws to hold
the reflective shade in place. Beng rural here, there are thousands of them
around and they all have the same records of longevity, best II can tell.
A couple years ago we switched to a sodium vapor bulb/sensor and now we
only put iit on for guests arriving or during a storm, especially snow
storms.

security light flickering Chris Home Repair 1 December 14th 07 03:06 AM
security light Minnie Home Repair 4 February 17th 07 05:11 PM
Installing A Pir Security Light. Nico_2t UK diy 0 October 26th 05 10:48 PM
security light NC UK diy 7 September 24th 05 02:16 PM
Security light with PIR? anon UK diy 5 August 22nd 04 11:44 PM