Posted to alt.home.repair

Default caulk - flowing

I'm looking for a brand name. Window installers use a sticky caulk
on my windows that is still holding up. It "flows". Silicone is
compliant - good for compression but can fail in tension. Hard
acrylic caulk just fails. Anyone know of such a product?
Posted to alt.home.repair

oldyork90 wrote:
I'm looking for a brand name. Window installers use a sticky caulk
on my windows that is still holding up. It "flows". Silicone is
compliant - good for compression but can fail in tension. Hard
acrylic caulk just fails. Anyone know of such a product?

Try looking up dap ultra 230 . Been using dynaflex 2300, but I don't know
the difference. Ultra is mildew proof.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"oldyork90" wrote in message
I'm looking for a brand name. Window installers use a sticky caulk
on my windows that is still holding up. It "flows". Silicone is
compliant - good for compression but can fail in tension. Hard
acrylic caulk just fails. Anyone know of such a product?

They probably used a Butyl Rubber caulk, purchased through their supplier.
If you know where they purchased the windows, probably can make a phone
call to see what brand the supplier carries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 9:26*pm, "Gunther" wrote:
"oldyork90" wrote in message

I'm looking for a brand name. * Window installers use a sticky caulk
on my windows that is still holding up. *It "flows". *Silicone is
compliant - good for compression but can fail in tension. * Hard
acrylic caulk just fails. *Anyone know of such a product?

They probably used a Butyl Rubber caulk, purchased through their supplier..
If you know where they purchased the windows, probably can make a phone
call to see what brand the supplier carries.

For this kind of application an important factor to consider
is if the caulk is paintable. I think the butyl rubber is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2012 5:48 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm looking for a brand name. Window installers use a sticky caulk
on my windows that is still holding up. It "flows". Silicone is
compliant - good for compression but can fail in tension. Hard
acrylic caulk just fails. Anyone know of such a product?

Avoid silicone unless it is Dow Corning 795.
http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...t.aspx?r=264en

Any of the commercial grade one part urethanes would be fine.
The one I normally use is Sonneborn's NP1.
http://www.buildingsystems.basf.com/p02/USWeb-Internet/buildingsystems/en_GB/content/microsites/buildingsystems/products/items/Sonolastic_NP_1_Copy1

I have started to use Titebond's Metal Roof Sealant. It is a polymer
product that is a bit easier to gun than NP1 and has worked well for me.
http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx...2-718c5298a55d

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:48:22 -0700 (PDT), oldyork90
wrote:

I'm looking for a brand name. Window installers use a sticky caulk
on my windows that is still holding up. It "flows". Silicone is
compliant - good for compression but can fail in tension. Hard
acrylic caulk just fails. Anyone know of such a product?

Consider:

'...Urethane caulk can be difficult to apply. It has a sticky, putty
like, consistency and requires mineral spirits for both tooling and
clean up. But, it will cure into a paintable rubber capable of
stretching 300% or more. Some manufactures boast as much as 1200%
elongation. Plus, it has very high tensile strength. Can adhere to
almost all types of surfaces. Including concrete, wood, glass, plastic
and metal."

Read mo
http://www.house-painting-info.com/polyurethane-caulk.html#ixzz27y8dt7eo

( used in building train box cars )

You just about have to chew if off, if you get it on you.
Senior Member

Quote:
I'm looking for a brand name. Window installers use a sticky caulk
on my windows that is still holding up. It "flows".
You're probably looking for Kop-R-Lastic, which is what most window companies use on the new windows they install:

It's made by the U.S.E. Hickson Company in Canada and the Henry Company in the USA under license from the Koppers Company of Australia.

Kop-R-Lastic | Henry.com

I have 66 windows in my building, and I wouldn't use anything BUT Kop-R-Lastic on them. The reasonw why is that Kop-R-Lastic is a synthetic rubber that's got excellent adhesion to most construction materials, BUT, it's cohesive strengeth is even greater than it's adhesive strength, which means that it sticks to itself better than it sticks to construction materials. So, when the time comes to replace your caulk, and it won't come soon, you just get one end of the bead of Kop-R-Lastic started and it pulls out of the joint just like a rubber rope.

Here's a picture of me pulling clear Kop-R-lastic off the Suite 3's dining room window in my building:

You can see that you have to pull hard to get it off, but you can also see that it pulls off cleanly (provided it's had more than 2 years to fully cure) so that applying new caulk is quick and easy because you don't have to spend a lot of time removing the old caulk.

My building is my job, my livlihood and my retirement. I wouldn't use anything except Kop-R-Lastic on the exteriors of my windows. Get it in clear so as to get the most synthetic rubber and hence both the highest adhesive and cohesive strength.

Please don't use:

a) silicone caulk. Silicone caulk works great and lasts forever, but you have to remove it COMPLETELY before any other caulk, including more silicone caulk) will stick to that surface. Kop-R-Lastic lasts as long as silicone, but pulls off cleanly so that you can immediatly re-caulk with any other caulk, including Kop-R-Lastic.

b) butyl rubber caulk. Butly rubber caulk dries up in a few years, cracks and falls off. Contact any company that sells caulk to get an opinion on butyl rubber caulk before using it. I wouldn't use it.

Last edited by nestork : September 30th 12 at 10:08 PM