Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do they still use the 9/10 cent on gas prices?

It seems that with gasoline being aound $4 a gallon, that 9/10 of a cent
makes little difference. Why do they still use it? Why did they use it
in the first place? Besides that, since a penny can not be broken down
any smaller than one cent, we always pay a fraction of a cent more than
the gas pump reads to compensate for that 9/10 of a penny anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
It seems that with gasoline being aound $4 a gallon, that 9/10 of a cent
makes little difference. Why do they still use it? Why did they use it
in the first place? Besides that, since a penny can not be broken down
any smaller than one cent, we always pay a fraction of a cent more than
the gas pump reads to compensate for that 9/10 of a penny anyhow.

Here is a subject dear to my heart. Gas here about $ 3.99 9/10
It looked cool at $ .19 9/10

I don't even like pennies.

Local service station/market/ service facility to me they make no money
using credit cards for gas. You would love this facility. I now get all my
stuff done there.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in news:1712672016369710999.929015zekor-
:

If I drop pennies, I don't pick them up.

So your time is worth more than $36/hour?

It takes less than second to stoop and pick up a coin. There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Do
the math.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomsic" wrote in message .

Toss them in the trash? With the price of copper what it is? Wow.

They are not made out of copper anymore. I doubt you would find very many
incirculation that are copper. I am not sure what the material theya re
made of now is worth.

I have heard there are millions of copper pennys stored and the ones that
have them are waiting on a law that allows melting down coins as the copper
is worth much more than the penny.
Not sure if any of that is true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought a penny saved, is a penny taxed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
eb.com...
A penny saved is a penny earned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zinc, with a little copper clad.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Tomsic" wrote in message .

Toss them in the trash? With the price of copper what it is? Wow.

They are not made out of copper anymore. I doubt you would find very many
incirculation that are copper. I am not sure what the material theya re
made of now is worth.

I have heard there are millions of copper pennys stored and the ones that
have them are waiting on a law that allows melting down coins as the copper
is worth much more than the penny.
Not sure if any of that is true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 02:44:01 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

gregz wrote in news:1712672016369710999.929015zekor-
:

If I drop pennies, I don't pick them up.

So your time is worth more than $36/hour?

~1/4 of my time is.

It takes less than second to stoop and pick up a coin. There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Do
the math.

It's also littering. I won't pick up a penny but will pick up one I've
dropped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

gregz wrote in news:1712672016369710999.929015zekor-
:

If I drop pennies, I don't pick them up.

So your time is worth more than $36/hour?

It takes less than second to stoop and pick up a coin. There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Do
the math.

You let me know where I can find enough pennies on the ground where I
can do that. Oh, you can't. That's why your "example" is
meaningless. You would be lucky to find more then 10 or 20 pennies
in an hour of searching, that's going to get you a paycheck of less
then $0.25/hour. Do the math. Maybe that's all your time is worth...
I've got better things to do. The penny should have been done away
with years ago. That fact that it hasn't is testimony to the
stupidity that is rampant in Congress and the US in general.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2012 02:14:27 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

A penny saved is a penny earned.

That was a lot more meaningful when 2 cents bought a loaf of bread. TO
bring it up to date it would be $3 saved is $3 earned. but a penny
saved is just foolish lily gilding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:35:56 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
That fact that it hasn't is testimony to the
stupidity that is rampant in Congress and the US in general.

I would blame congress for a lot of things, but I'm not sure this is one of them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that he thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he filled up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents sometimes...
Posted to alt.home.repair

our country is so inefficent.

pennies should be eminated they cost more to make than they ae worth

nickles are another candidate for the dustbin of history.......

paper ones and 5 dollar bills should be metal only......

any post office within 5 miles of another one should be permanetely
closed,they are unnecessary.

the postal service should permit grccery stores to have mini post
offices.

postal mail delivery should move to 3 days a week monday wednesday and
friday only

the postal service should get out of delivering packages. that
duplicates fed x and ups..

the root of all this waste is congress. strict term limits would help
end much of this idoacy..... 2 terms and your out no lifetime benies
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote

the postal service should permit grccery stores to have mini post
offices.

They do; they're called contract stations and they've existed since the
beginnings of the post office.

the postal service should get out of delivering packages. that
duplicates fed x and ups..

The Postal Service delivers packages cheaper than FedEx or UPS and requires
signatures by the recipient. FedEx and UPS throw the packages over the
fence or leave them where people can steal them. Whenever I need to ship
anything I always use the Postal Service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 8:18*pm, "Tomsic" wrote:
"devnull" wrote in message

On 09/18/2012 04:23 PM, wrote:
It seems that with gasoline being aound $4 a gallon, that 9/10 of a cent
makes little difference. *Why do they still use it? *Why did they use it
in the first place? *Besides that, since a penny can not be broken down
any smaller than one cent, we always pay a fraction of a cent more than
the gas pump reads to compensate for that 9/10 of a penny anyhow.

Agreed!

And if I had my way, we'd just eliminate the penny. The things are
worthless...in fact so worthless that I just toss them in the trash.

Toss them in the trash? *With the price of copper what it is? *Wow.

They debased the penny about 30 years ago, replacing
the copper with zinc and just plating it with copper.
So a lot of them have very little copper in them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 11:05*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"Tomsic" wrote in message .

Toss them in the trash? *With the price of copper what it is? *Wow.

They are not made out of copper anymore. *I doubt you would find very many
incirculation that are copper. *I am not sure what the material theya re
made of now is worth.

I have heard there are millions of copper pennys stored and the ones that
have them are waiting on a law that allows melting down coins as the copper
is worth much more than the penny.
Not sure if any of that is true.

It's actually legal to melt down any coins other than
nickles and pennies. The regulation banning the melting
of pennies and nickles went into effect in 2006,
specifically to prevent them from being melted down due
to rising metal prices. Another example of your govt
at work for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 5:46*am, "David Kaye" wrote:
"bob haller" wrote

the postal service should permit grccery stores to have mini post
offices.

They do; they're called contract stations and they've existed since the
beginnings of the post office.

the postal service should get out of delivering packages. that
duplicates fed x and ups..

The Postal Service delivers packages cheaper than FedEx or UPS

You say that like it's a good thing. The USPS lost $5bil in
the last quarter and has been losing money constantly
for the last 3 years. Congress has been working for
months to figure out how to bail it out.

and requires
signatures by the recipient. *FedEx and UPS throw the packages over the
fence or leave them where people can steal them. *Whenever I need to ship
anything I always use the Postal Service.

They USPS only requires signatures if you pick a
shipping method that requires it. Routine packages
don't require a signature. Exactly the same as FedEx
and UPS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:07:26 AM UTC-4, Larry Fishel wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:35:56 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

That fact that it hasn't is testimony to the

stupidity that is rampant in Congress and the US in general.

I would blame congress for a lot of things, but I'm not sure this is one of them. We've already had one person in this thread who was outraged that he thought he was being cheated out of a tenth of a cent every time he filled up. Imagine the protests if people thought they might be losing 4 cents sometimes...

You are correct. This is not the idiocy of Congress, but the idiocy of the American people.

Same as the dollar coin. The US mint keeps trying to get us to use them but we're too stupid to embrace the concept.

Last time I was in Canada for a few days, I ended up with about $30 in POCKET CHANGE. All loonies and twonies. It paid for the gas to drive back across the border.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:13:21 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:23:38 -0500, wrote:
Besides that, since a penny can not be broken down
any smaller than one cent, we always pay a fraction of a cent more than
the gas pump reads to compensate for that 9/10 of a penny anyhow.

Ah, no, you don't. Next time you fill up, do the math.

Yup, when I put $50 in my tank, I pay $50, not $50.001.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:15:54 -0400, Tomsic wrote:

Toss them in the trash? With the price of copper what it is?

It's not copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 03:40:20 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 18, 8:18*pm, "Tomsic" wrote:
"devnull" wrote in message

On 09/18/2012 04:23 PM, wrote:
It seems that with gasoline being aound $4 a gallon, that 9/10 of a cent
makes little difference. *Why do they still use it? *Why did they use it
in the first place? *Besides that, since a penny can not be broken down
any smaller than one cent, we always pay a fraction of a cent more than
the gas pump reads to compensate for that 9/10 of a penny anyhow.

Agreed!

And if I had my way, we'd just eliminate the penny. The things are
worthless...in fact so worthless that I just toss them in the trash.

Toss them in the trash? *With the price of copper what it is? *Wow.

They debased the penny about 30 years ago, replacing
the copper with zinc and just plating it with copper.
So a lot of them have very little copper in them.

That's why they are no longer recommended to be used in place of a fuse
in a fuse box!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote in
:

wrote:

gregz wrote in
:

If I drop pennies, I don't pick them up.

So your time is worth more than $36/hour?

It takes less than second to stoop and pick up a coin. There are
3600 seconds in an hour. Do the math.

You let me know where I can find enough pennies on the ground
where I can do that. Oh, you can't. That's why your "example"
is meaningless. You would be lucky to find more then 10 or 20
pennies in an hour of searching,

You missed the point rather badly, I'm afraid.

that's going to get you a paycheck of less
then $0.25/hour. Do the math. Maybe that's all your time is
worth... I've got better things to do.

So do I. That's why I don't walk around searching for dropped
change. That would be nearly as stupid as thinking that I
suggested doing that.

All I do is keep my eyes open, and pick up any coin that I happen
to walk past -- on a sidewalk, in a parking lot as I'm walking to
my car, whatever. I get three or four bucks a year that way, at a
cost of almost zero time and effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 21:44:47 UTC-4, Dusenberg wrote:

Canada has already gotten rid of the penny.

Getting rid of the penny itself but not the denomination. Still a base

100 dollar.

So electronically, still pay to the penny correct?

Correct, and also with paper cheques. But "already gotten rid of" is premature; withdrawal is slated for next Spring, by which I presume they mean that banks will no longer issue them. Old ones will remain valid.

Unclear whether merchants can decline to accept them when offered in exact change. If not, you could play a game where you pay with them when the rounding would not be in your favour, and allow the merchant to round when it is. You know, when you really want to show folks that your time and energy are worth less than four cents. (Perhaps, an alternative to posting to newsgroups.)

As of now, still business as usual.

Saw one of those souvenir coin presses a while ago that had a big sign insisting that you NOT use US or Canadian pennies; instead as part of the cost you got a little copper blank. I get that defacing US coinage gets you a visit from MIB but I don't think anyone cares if you mash a Canadian one. I'm thinking it's because ours are now a copper-plated steel core and it screws up the machine's dies.

Chip C
Toronto

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:07:14 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:15:54 -0400, Tomsic wrote:

Toss them in the trash? With the price of copper what it is?

It's not copper.

I don't think the new ones are even metal. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 02:46:34 -0700, "David Kaye"
wrote:

"bob haller" wrote

the postal service should permit grccery stores to have mini post
offices.

They do; they're called contract stations and they've existed since the
beginnings of the post office.

They will accept packages from FedEx and UPS, too.

the postal service should get out of delivering packages. that
duplicates fed x and ups..

The Postal Service delivers packages cheaper than FedEx or UPS

There are a lot of variables assumed in there.

and requires signatures by the recipient.

That service is (is not) available with all services.

FedEx and UPS throw the packages over the
fence or leave them where people can steal them.

USPS does exactly the same and they leave everything in the mailbox. Note
that signature service is available from FedEx or UPS.

Whenever I need to ship
anything I always use the Postal Service.

Whoopie!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:49:09 -0700 (PDT), Chip C
wrote:

On Tuesday, 18 September 2012 21:44:47 UTC-4, Dusenberg wrote:

Canada has already gotten rid of the penny.

Getting rid of the penny itself but not the denomination. Still a base

100 dollar.

So electronically, still pay to the penny correct?

Correct, and also with paper cheques. But "already gotten rid of" is premature; withdrawal is slated for next Spring, by which I presume they mean that banks will no longer issue them. Old ones will remain valid.

The last penny was minted earlier this summer. They will remain in use
for some time -

Unclear whether merchants can decline to accept them when offered in exact change. If not, you could play a game where you pay with them when the rounding would not be in your favour, and allow the merchant to round when it is. You know, when you really want to show folks that your time and energy are worth less than four cents. (Perhaps, an alternative to posting to newsgroups.)

As of now, still business as usual.

Saw one of those souvenir coin presses a while ago that had a big sign insisting that you NOT use US or Canadian pennies; instead as part of the cost you got a little copper blank. I get that defacing US coinage gets you a visit from MIB but I don't think anyone cares if you mash a Canadian one. I'm thinking it's because ours are now a copper-plated steel core and it screws up the machine's dies.

No - the penny press can be damaged pressing the alloy or sandwich
pennies, and the resulting product is grossly inferior to the copper
blank. or old copper penny.
Chip C
Toronto