Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asser Levy

Well worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asser_Levy

When I worked at 42 Broadway in Lower Manhattan and ate lunch
sometimes in Bowling Green Park there was a statue there of Peter
Stuyvesant and part of the inscription underneath was "During Peter
Stuyvesant's rule of New Amersterdam, Jews were given political
rights" or something similar.

What it didnt' say is that Stuyvesant did his best to prevent that.
To find out why he failed, read the url. The statue shows how
something can be artfully phrased to give a false impression.
Remember that during election season and all the time.

The statue was there for unknown duration before and after my visits
there, but in 2002, it was no longer there. They have a warehouse
near riverside drive where they store all kinds of things from parks,
including originals of copies and copies of originals.

There is much more to the url.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wrong group. Sorry. Still worth reading, but wrong group.

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:48:22 -0400, micky
wrote:

Well worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asser_Levy

When I worked at 42 Broadway in Lower Manhattan and ate lunch
sometimes in Bowling Green Park there was a statue there of Peter
Stuyvesant and part of the inscription underneath was "During Peter
Stuyvesant's rule of New Amersterdam, Jews were given political
rights" or something similar.

What it didnt' say is that Stuyvesant did his best to prevent that.
To find out why he failed, read the url. The statue shows how
something can be artfully phrased to give a false impression.
Remember that during election season and all the time.

And the moral still applies.

The statue was there for unknown duration before and after my visits
there, but in 2002, it was no longer there. They have a warehouse
near riverside drive where they store all kinds of things from parks,
including originals of copies and copies of originals.

There is much more to the url.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

micky wrote in
:

[...]

Asser Levy Place is a 2-block street between First Avenue and FDR Drive,
behind the Manhattan VA. It has apparently an excellent pool as well as
inside bath facilities. In my 34 years at the VA I have never visited
the bathhouse ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Asser_Levy_Recreation_Center.jpg

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:48:22 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

He also tried to ban smoking and failed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Aug 2012 15:02:55 GMT, Han wrote:

micky wrote in
:

[...]

Well I certainly understand how that can happen. I went down 2nd
and 1st Avenues many times and never went east to see what was there.
And I saw all those buildings from the FDR drive too, and never went
to look at them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:10:21 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:48:22 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Well worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asser_Levy

When I worked at 42 Broadway in Lower Manhattan and ate lunch
sometimes in Bowling Green Park there was a statue there of Peter
Stuyvesant and part of the inscription underneath was "During Peter
Stuyvesant's rule of New Amersterdam, Jews were given political
rights" or something similar.

What it didnt' say is that Stuyvesant did his best to prevent that.
To find out why he failed, read the url. The statue shows how
something can be artfully phrased to give a false impression.
Remember that during election season and all the time.

There is much more to the url.

He also tried to ban smoking and failed.

Wow. I did not know that. (Stuyvesant, I'm sure you mean.)