Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AA battery questions

I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I use
my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light flashes,
indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows from .4 to
1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button quickly, it
does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated about eight
questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots, and I
still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast? I'm sure
that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the quantity
I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to be sure.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:54:53 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I use

my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light flashes,

indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows from .4 to

1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button quickly, it

does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated about eight

questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots, and I

still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast? I'm sure

that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the quantity

I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to be sure.

Steve

http://www.harborfreight.com/househo...ter-96377.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you believe it? The guy claims to be a professional photographer. But,
he's too cheap to buy some new batteries?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

wrote in message
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:54:53 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I
use

my camera professionally.

I was thinking the same thing. A professional and worried about 50 bucks of
batteries when they could mess up a big photo shoot.

I liked the pro that did my daughter's wedding about 20 years ago. He had
some large cameras for large format film and had more than one so he did not
have to worry about the film running out and having to take time to put in a
new roll.
Also this was not really a high dollar wedding or big money for the pix
either.

I would keep them together as a set for the camera and toss out the whole
set at the first sign of trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donate the older cells to a family with kids, that uses cells for toys. The
young family will be appreciative.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

I was thinking the same thing. A professional and worried about 50 bucks of
batteries when they could mess up a big photo shoot.

I liked the pro that did my daughter's wedding about 20 years ago. He had
some large cameras for large format film and had more than one so he did not
have to worry about the film running out and having to take time to put in a
new roll.
Also this was not really a high dollar wedding or big money for the pix
either.

I would keep them together as a set for the camera and toss out the whole
set at the first sign of trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

wrote in message
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:54:53 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as
I use

my camera professionally.

I was thinking the same thing. A professional and worried about 50
bucks of batteries when they could mess up a big photo shoot.

I liked the pro that did my daughter's wedding about 20 years ago. He
had some large cameras for large format film and had more than one so
he did not have to worry about the film running out and having to take
time to put in a new roll.
Also this was not really a high dollar wedding or big money for the
pix either.

I would keep them together as a set for the camera and toss out the
whole set at the first sign of trouble.

and remove the batteries if not using the camera,so they don't leak and
destroy your expensive camera.
Some cameras draw battery power even when "off".

Pro photogs also have more than one camera in case one malfunctions.
Lots of people have misloaded their 35mm SLRs,and shot lots of pics only to
find the film never advanced a single frame.
or the sprockets tore,same result. No pics.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Batteries out of the device, very wise advice for all devices.

I do remember a time when I was one of the photo guys for my college campus
news paper. I didn't insert the 35 MM film enough, and missed a lot of
otherwise good photos.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

and remove the batteries if not using the camera,so they don't leak and
destroy your expensive camera.
Some cameras draw battery power even when "off".

Pro photogs also have more than one camera in case one malfunctions.
Lots of people have misloaded their 35mm SLRs,and shot lots of pics only to
find the film never advanced a single frame.
or the sprockets tore,same result. No pics.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can you believe it? The guy claims to be a professional photographer. But,
he's too cheap to buy some new batteries?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Hard to believe, but photographers seem to be working for pocket change
these days - compared to the pre-digital era.

So I'm not that surprised.

I'm paying my HVAC guys almost as much for 2 days work as someone in
that "glamour profession" would have made when I was shooting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bob(but not THAT Bob) wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Can you believe it? The guy claims to be a professional photographer. But,
he's too cheap to buy some new batteries?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Hard to believe, but photographers seem to be working for pocket change
these days - compared to the pre-digital era.

So I'm not that surprised.

I'm paying my HVAC guys almost as much for 2 days work as someone in
that "glamour profession" would have made when I was shooting.

But thanks to copyright law the photographer can continue to collect on
work done until 69 years after death (as an incentive to innovate from
beyond the grave). The HVAC guy, not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're so right, that the times are changing. And not for the better. About
1988, I had a retail store, next to a photographer. He was having a hard
time competing with Sears and Kmart, and their baby specials, $8.88 for 36
photos of various sizes.

I grew up with film, but now my little digital camera has replaced it, in
just about every thing. I used to at least get Kodak prints, but now Fuji
prints are so much cheaper.

Christopher A. Young (but not THAT Christopher A. Young)
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob(but not THAT Bob)" wrote in message

Hard to believe, but photographers seem to be working for pocket change
these days - compared to the pre-digital era.

So I'm not that surprised.

I'm paying my HVAC guys almost as much for 2 days work as someone in
that "glamour profession" would have made when I was shooting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You're so right, that the times are changing. And not for the better.
About 1988, I had a retail store, next to a photographer. He was
having a hard time competing with Sears and Kmart, and their baby
specials, $8.88 for 36 photos of various sizes.

Easy (and standard) solution: don't compete with them...do other types of
photography or if one is a true masochist and actually *wants* to do baby
pictures do them in an artful manner. And charge appropriately.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
You're so right, that the times are changing. And not for the better.
About
1988, I had a retail store, next to a photographer. He was having a hard
time competing with Sears and Kmart, and their baby specials, $8.88 for
36
photos of various sizes.

The baby pix were a loss leader. You almost give them away. The store
makes their money on the baby outfits and other items you buy in the store
while getting the pix. This is often done. Give away the cheap stuff so
higher priced articals are sold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Hmmmm. Replace reading must put it to some kind of test. Am going to Vegas
tomorrow, if I'm near HF, will stop and see.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That will not tell if their not chargeable.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in

rg:

"Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:54:53 PM UTC-7, Steve B wrote:
I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them,
as I use

my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light
flashes,

indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows
from .4 to

1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button
quickly, it

1.27 volt cells ought to take a charge.
the cells that are .4v ,were drawn down too far,toss them.
You should not draw rechargeables down past 1.1v per cell.

Note that a DMM in voltage mode does not put a load on the cell.
DMMs are high impedance,so as to NOT load a circuit.

does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated
about eight

questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots,
and I

still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast?
I'm sure

that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the
quantity

I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to be
sure.

Steve

http://www.harborfreight.com/househo...ter-96377.html

Hmmmm. Replace reading must put it to some kind of test. Am going
to Vegas tomorrow, if I'm near HF, will stop and see.

Steve

That will not tell if their not chargeable.

Greg

I would not trust a Harbor Freight meter for testing.
a $3 DMM from them read a 1.5v AA cell at nearly 2 volts,I had to exchange
it.

it's a shame they don't make mercury cells anymore,they were great for
voltage references.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 5:54*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
But before I do toss them, I'd like to be sure.

If it says "Energizer" on them, as I suspect, they were probably toast
before they left the factory, especially if you bought them from Sam's
Club, etc.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

The best batteries might be panasonic and sanyos, Sanyo eneloop hold a charge the longest , any battery at .47v I'd junk. If they don't peak at about 1.35 they at worn, I think yours are getting old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I use
my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light flashes,
indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows from .4 to
1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button quickly, it
does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated about
eight questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots,
and I still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast? I'm
sure that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the
quantity I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to
be sure.

Batteries even rechargeable are considered consumables. (hint they wear out
over time and use)

There are test that can be run but the cost of the equipment to do this
correctly is more than the cost of batteries so best to chuck what you have
and buy new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"NotMe" wrote

There are test that can be run but the cost of the equipment to do this
correctly is more than the cost of batteries so best to chuck what you
have and buy new.

Dang. What do you know. Someone who actually answered the question. Thank
you.

BTW, I never claimed to be a professional photographer, although I have won
contests. I just photograph, evaluate, catalog, and value HOAs. But, since
I get from $40 to $80 per hour, I guess that may be construed by some as
being a professional photographer.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"NotMe" wrote

There are test that can be run but the cost of the equipment to do this
correctly is more than the cost of batteries so best to chuck what you
have and buy new.

Dang. What do you know. Someone who actually answered the question.
Thank you.

BTW, I never claimed to be a professional photographer, although I have
won contests. I just photograph, evaluate, catalog, and value HOAs. But,
since I get from $40 to $80 per hour, I guess that may be construed by
some as being a professional photographer.

I don't care about professional or not or what use you may have for the
batteries.

When they go bad they go bad and there is zero one can do effectively to
change the fact that they are bad save to chuck them and buy new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"NotMe" wrote

When they go bad they go bad and there is zero one can do effectively to
change the fact that they are bad save to chuck them and buy new.

They are a little spendy, and I'd buy three four-packs.. I did have some
more go bad, and I took them to a battery store. They checked them, and all
were bad. Probably like someone said, the equipment to check them costs
more than the ability is worth.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 5:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"NotMe" wrote

When they go bad they go bad and there is zero one can do effectively to
change the fact that they are bad save to chuck them and buy new.

They are a little spendy, and I'd buy three four-packs.. *I did have some
more go bad, and I took them to a battery store. *They checked them, and all
were bad. *Probably like someone said, the equipment to check them costs
more than the ability is worth.

Steve

Keep watching to see if your charger is killing them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 5:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
They are a little spendy, and I'd buy three four-packs.. *I did have some
more go bad, and I took them to a battery store. *They checked them, and all
were bad. *Probably like someone said, the equipment to check them costs
more than the ability is worth.

Steve

I'm confused. Battery Charger and URL's showing what new AA batteries
should look like.

I thought you were fighting re-chargeable batteries.

Not, the normal AA batteries.

It is my understanding that if you buy a good battery and store it ,
it has very long shelf life. If instead, you 'test' it under full load
to make certain it's a good battery; you start some type of battery
chemistry thingie that causes the battery to deteriorate fast with a
shelf life between 6months to a year. It was like the battery
manufacturers knew that and encouraged people to test their stored
batteries - under full load, on purpose.

Any confirmations out there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 8:23*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
BTW, I never claimed to be a professional photographer, although I have won
contests.

" I have about two dozen of them, as I use
my camera professionally."

If you are getting paid, you are a prof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
On Aug 14, 8:23 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
BTW, I never claimed to be a professional photographer, although I
have won contests.

" I have about two dozen of them, as I use
my camera professionally."

If you are getting paid, you are a prof.

No. A pro earns his living doing something.

I was hiring a photographer (I had a studio) many years ago. One guy I
interviewed proudly stated he was earning $9,000/year as a pro. Even then,
that was a pittance; it was especially so when he revealed that was his
income over a *NINE YEAR PERIOD!*. He earned his living as a shoe salesman.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote If you are getting paid, you are a
prof.

No. A pro earns his living doing something.

The photography is only a part of the reserve study we do. We get paid for
the whole thing, not just the photography. The photos just document what is
there.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2012 2:54 PM, Steve B wrote:
I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I use
my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light flashes,
indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows from .4 to
1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button quickly, it
does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated about eight
questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots, and I
still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast? I'm sure
that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the quantity
I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to be sure.

Steve

You already have a test. The charger says they're toast.

The parameter you want to measure is internal series resistance.

It's possible that if they're over-discharged, the charger can
mistake that as high ISR. I've done a bunch of experiments and determined
that it's rarely the case and the cells are toast.

Even with high ESR, the batteries can have lots of capacity, you just
can't get it in or out at high current.
Using a trickle charger and low current devices can make use of them.

Bottom line, recycle them. And go take some pictures using the new
batteries. And don't mix the new cells with the older good ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote

Bottom line, recycle them. And go take some pictures using the new
batteries. And don't mix the new cells with the older good ones.

Good advice. Thanks. I can tell from the wrappers the newer ones from the
older ones, and all the ones in question have worn wrappers. Maybe this
time I'll try some Enloops.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
[...]

I've had batteries that were run down enough that the smart charger wouldn't
charge them. Inserting them into an old dumb charger for a few minutes brought
them up enough that the smart charger worked fine, and they continued to be
usable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2012 12:42 PM, Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

Yep, I've seen that happen, but for batteries in general/frequent use,
I've rarely found it a permanent solution.
The battery got over-discharged somehow. If it's slightly lower capacity
than the others in series, it will happen again...and again...and again.
I've tried marking them and using in low drain applications, but it usually
comes down to replacing ALL the cells and being done with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I use
my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light flashes,
indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows from .4 to
1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button quickly, it
does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated about eight
questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots, and I
still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast? I'm sure
that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the quantity
I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to be sure.

Steve

How do you know the charger is ok. I usually take multiple chargers, and
try some new batteries. Buy lithium non rechargeable backups. That's what I
do.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message ...

I use AA batteries in my camera. I have about two dozen of them, as I use
my camera professionally.

Lately, in my good charger, when I put some in, the red light flashes,
indicating some problem. Checking them with a volt meter shows from .4 to
1.27 volts. When I put them in, and hit the "REFRESH" button quickly, it
does not engage, but the light goes to flashing. I have rotated about eight
questionable batteries in the charger in all combination of slots, and I
still get a flashing light.

Is there a way to test these batteries to tell if they are toast? I'm sure
that they are probably gone, and I need some more to replenish the quantity
I like to keep on hand. But before I do toss them, I'd like to be sure.

Steve

You did not say what type of batteries you have (Nicads) (alkaline) ?? I
use NiCads in my cameras and recharge them with a Power.EX charger. Model
MH-C204W. When installed if not too low red light comes on and when fully
charged a green light shows. If they are very low when put on charger a
orange light shows and refurbishes the battery then in a while the red light
shows and charging proceeds. Charger charges both AA and AAA. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote

You did not say what type of batteries you have (Nicads) (alkaline) ??
I use NiCads in my cameras and recharge them with a Power.EX charger.
Model MH-C204W. When installed if not too low red light comes on and when
fully charged a green light shows. If they are very low when put on
charger a orange light shows and refurbishes the battery then in a while
the red light shows and charging proceeds. Charger charges both AA and
AAA. WW

more info: I use nimh 2500 milliamphours, or whatever. I have a Radio
Shack charger with the refresh feature, and will handle AA and AAA. Has a
car jack, too, but we try mostly to use AC current, unless we are just
stuck and have to charge some. I like to carry enough to get through the
day. I might take 1,000 photos a day.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2012 12:14 PM, Steve B wrote:
"WW" wrote

You did not say what type of batteries you have (Nicads) (alkaline) ??
I use NiCads in my cameras and recharge them with a Power.EX charger.
Model MH-C204W. When installed if not too low red light comes on and when
fully charged a green light shows. If they are very low when put on
charger a orange light shows and refurbishes the battery then in a while
the red light shows and charging proceeds. Charger charges both AA and
AAA. WW

more info: I use nimh 2500 milliamphours, or whatever. I have a Radio
Shack charger with the refresh feature, and will handle AA and AAA. Has a
car jack, too, but we try mostly to use AC current, unless we are just
stuck and have to charge some. I like to carry enough to get through the
day. I might take 1,000 photos a day.

Steve

Chargers are the most ignored and the most important item when it comes
to not killing batteries. I doubt something from radio shack is more
than ultra basic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

more info: I use nimh 2500 milliamphours, or whatever. I have a
Radio Shack charger with the refresh feature, and will handle AA and
AAA. Has a car jack, too, but we try mostly to use AC current, unless we
are just stuck and have to charge some. I like to carry
enough to get through the day. I might take 1,000 photos a day.

Quantum battery packs were a good answer for flash. There were
various...some used "D" cell, others "C" cells. In either case, they gave
far more juice because both "C" and - especially - "D" cells have much
higher milliampere ratings.

You might be able to rig things to use a Quantum pack and one with "D" cells
should get you in the range you want.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 9:14*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"WW" wrote

You did not say what type of batteries you have *(Nicads) (alkaline) *??
I use NiCads in my cameras and recharge them with a Power.EX charger.
Model MH-C204W. When installed if not too low red light comes on and when
fully charged a green light shows. *If they are very low when put on
charger a orange light shows and refurbishes the battery then in a while
the red light shows and charging proceeds. *Charger charges both AA and
AAA. *WW

more info: *I use nimh 2500 milliamphours, or whatever. *I have a Radio
Shack charger with the refresh feature, and will handle AA and AAA. *Has a
car jack, too, but we try mostly to use AC current, *unless we are just
stuck and have to charge some. *I like to carry enough to get through the
day. *I might take 1,000 photos a day.

Steve

ARRRGGG! Does anybody else agree that a different charger should be
used!?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:26:42 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Aug 15, 9:14Â*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"WW" wrote

You did not say what type of batteries you have Â*(Nicads) (alkaline) Â*??
I use NiCads in my cameras and recharge them with a Power.EX charger.
Model MH-C204W. When installed if not too low red light comes on and when
fully charged a green light shows. Â*If they are very low when put on
charger a orange light shows and refurbishes the battery then in a while
the red light shows and charging proceeds. Â*Charger charges both AA and
AAA. Â*WW

more info: Â*I use nimh 2500 milliamphours, or whatever. Â*I have a Radio
Shack charger with the refresh feature, and will handle AA and AAA. Â*Has a
car jack, too, but we try mostly to use AC current, Â*unless we are just
stuck and have to charge some. Â*I like to carry enough to get through the
day. Â*I might take 1,000 photos a day.

Steve

ARRRGGG! Does anybody else agree that a different charger should be
used!?

I'm not an expert on it, but bought a couple of these after a
so-called "expert" did a lot of testing with instruments.
He had a critical eye about chargers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s01_i00

I use the Sony AA and AAA in almost everything around the house,
including my Canon camera. But I can't tell you how long they last.
Seem to last longer then the Eneloops I had before them.
My 2 Eneloop chargers were destroyed when my basement flooded.
Still using some of the Eneloop batteries in the Sony chargers, and
they're 3 years old and been charged many times.
Both the Eneloops and Sony NiMH are better than any other
rechargeables I've used. In length of use and how many times they can
be recharged.
Think I've used Targa and Ray-o-Vac, and maybe one other, so my
experience isn't wide. I stopped looking when I started with the
Eneloops, then went to the Sony when I had to replace those chargers,
because I read they were better.
You have to look around at prices because I've seen wide variances.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any charger that makes the batteries HOT
is doing damage. Many new chargers can be
had, now days, that are much better.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

ARRRGGG! Does anybody else agree
that a different charger should be
used!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pro photo guy with a lot of batteries can use one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-TN160-...imh+charger+aa

Smart charger, with 12 bays. Charge 12 batteries at once. That sure looks
"KEWL" to me. Mine does four, and I've got battery envy.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

ARRRGGG! Does anybody else agree
that a different charger should be
used!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Macy" wrote

ARRRGGG! Does anybody else agree that a different charger should be
used!?

***

Criminently, people! I bought what was available. You don't have to rake
me over the coals for that. Perhaps you MIGHT have a suggestion for a
better one that I MIGHT consider?

Steve