Posted to alt.home.repair

Default headlamp as light source for repair project

TimR wrote in
:

Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light
and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my
head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

Underground explorers and miners use the headlamps daily.
There must be a good reason for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message

Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and
never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head
facing quite
the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

Home Hardware stores currently advertise here both:
-- LED lamps on a headband (which I know at least one
cousin finds convenient, walking home on unlit streets.)
-- flashlights fitted with a spring clamp, to fasten it to
any support, infinitely adjustable for direction, also LED.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and
never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head
facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

They are immensely handy, and come in all sizes and prices.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and
never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head
facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

LED headlamps are great. Small, bright, lightweight and easy to adjust. I
like them the best when I'm solo on a project. When several people working
in the same area have them, there's lots of annoying flash and glare. Then
general lighting in the area is better.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 07:53:43 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

My bride has a LED light that fits around her neck when sewing, etc. I
may need to "borrow" it one day...

Like this one: (maybe a different brand)

"Wear it. Wrap it. Pose it. Point the light where you want - however
you want - and keep your hands totally free!"

http://www.mylight.com/huglight-4-led-p-219.html?zenid=8a6789baf7d35d2f58a011b8aa32a910

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

My bride has a LED light that fits around her neck when sewing, etc. I
may need to "borrow" it one day...

Like this one: (maybe a different brand)

"Wear it. Wrap it. Pose it. Point the light where you want - however
you want - and keep your hands totally free!"

http://www.mylight.com/huglight-4-led-p-219.html?zenid=8a6789baf7d35d2f58a011b8aa32a910

Cool-- looks like it would be a winner for a job where you're
sitting-- I like my headlamp for moving around and working.
[especially overhead]

I've been tempted by the visor lights for baseball caps, but I rarely
wear a hat.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head facing quite the right
direction? Have any of you tried it?

Yes, they work and work quite well. The better ones can be adjusted for
angle. They used to be costly, but today you can buy them for around
$10 at Walmart and other places. They use LED lights so the batteries
last a long time. They're definitely worth the price. They are handy
when you have to do outdoor work at night too. For example, you cant
carry in too much firewood when you have a flashlight in one hand, so
USE YOUR HEAD (for the light).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The last time I used a headlamp, they still had those huge 9V single
batteries that sat in a pouch on your belt. Many years ago. The new
type do have a purpose.

Time sure does fly...don't cha know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"TimR" wrote in message
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light
and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my
head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

They are immensely handy, and come in all sizes and prices.

I second that. I have one, and it's extremely handy, especially in tight
spots when you need both hands on the workpiece. The one I have swivels up
and down on the band, which is a big reason why it works so well: you can
point it exactly where your eyes need to see.

Under-counter work is an ideal application for a headband-headlight.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 10:53*am, TimR wrote:
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? *Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? *Have any of you tried it?

I have a couple of Harbor Freight headlamps that I find quite useful.
For under $3, you can't go wrong.

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Of course, for bigger jobs I also have one of these, but I changed the
mounting pole so I can aim it down on the work area. It's way too
bright to be used at the maximum 3.5' height the default stand allows
for. It just about blinds everyone in the area. Using an old aluminum
tent pole from my boy scout days (!) I can extend the height from 6'
to over 10.

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-wat...ght-40123.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light
and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my
head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

I've got a baseball cap with three LEDs built into the bill. Works swell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found several options. Strap on headlamp is good, in many cases. Tough
when changing focuss, looking up and down with my bifocals. The light is
seldom where I'm looking.

That said, I have several strap on head lamps, and I use them often.

You can also get area lights that are battery, or plug in. Small work light,
or fluorescent camping lantern can help a lot.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"TimR" wrote in message
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and
never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head
facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I bought one headlamp, too big and heavy. Then I bought an ear led lamp.
Works great. I bought one long ago and was not cheap. This looks good.

http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_1015..._SPM214231112P

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

-snip-
The last time I used a headlamp, they still had those huge 9V single
batteries that sat in a pouch on your belt. Many years ago. The new
type do have a purpose.

This one
http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Hiking...dp/B004NK6Q7Y/
replaced a carbide light that I hadn't used since my coon hunting
days.

Never owned a battery on a belt light.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:25:35 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Oren wrote:

-snip-
The last time I used a headlamp, they still had those huge 9V single
batteries that sat in a pouch on your belt. Many years ago. The new
type do have a purpose.

This one
http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Hiking...dp/B004NK6Q7Y/
replaced a carbide light that I hadn't used since my coon hunting
days.

Never owned a battery on a belt light.

Jim

The old huge 9V battery types were used in the 50's and 60's. They
were used to spot bull frogs and alligators at night. Great for
giggin' frogs and being able to tell if what you spotted was a gator
or not. The eye colors were different under the shining light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight has one that's worth the three bucks on sale. Now, on sale
$2.79. Comes with two AA carbon zinc cells that are likely to corrode and
leak.
http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

I use LED module designed to convert mini mags, to LED.

Works nicely, and reasonable price. The headband elastic stretches out, and
then I put the module into another head light.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

How's it get 300 lumens out of three AAA cells? Pretty small lumens, maybe?

The reviews were not kind, for this light. I'll pass.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

This one
http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Hiking...dp/B004NK6Q7Y/
replaced a carbide light that I hadn't used since my coon hunting
days.

Never owned a battery on a belt light.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 13, 2012 9:19:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
How's it get 300 lumens out of three AAA cells? Pretty small lumens, maybe?

By focusing all the light on a small area of course... More like narrow lumens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 13, 2012 10:53:43 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
Would a small headlamp be an improvement?

I find them very handy for a log of things. I've also found that there are at least some that are so cheaply made as to be almost useless (2 out of a package of 3 wouldn't work without adding a spacer so the batteries made contact and the caps that hold the batteries in pop off if you breathe on them too hard.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:41:25 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On Monday, August 13, 2012 9:19:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
How's it get 300 lumens out of three AAA cells? Pretty small lumens, maybe?

A very short time, perhaps?

By focusing all the light on a small area of course... More like narrow lumens.

Yeah, that works well. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 13, 2012 10:41:25 PM UTC-4, Larry Fishel wrote:
On Monday, August 13, 2012 9:19:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How's it get 300 lumens out of three AAA cells? Pretty small lumens, maybe?

By focusing all the light on a small area of course... More like narrow lumens.

I'm sure it won't take long for someone to point out that I was mixing up my lumens and my lux (sort of). Yeah, I'd be impressed if they really got 300 lumens out of a few LEDs and 3 AAAs. I bet whoever calculated that made the same mistake(?) I did...
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 8/13/2012 7:53 AM, TimR wrote:
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

Just be sure that you buy one with adjustable inclination so you can aim
it properly. The cheapest ones are not adjustable. Also look for one
that zooms, spot to flood. One that has the batteries in the back is
better than one with the batteries in the front by the light.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flood-to-throw-cree-q3-wc-convex-lens-led-headlamp-with-brightness-control-3-aaa-44500?item=18

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 12:51*am, SMS wrote:
On 8/13/2012 7:53 AM, TimR wrote:

Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? *Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? *Have any of you tried it?

Just be sure that you buy one with adjustable inclination so you can aim
it properly. The cheapest ones are not adjustable. Also look for one
that zooms, spot to flood. One that has the batteries in the back is
better than one with the batteries in the front by the light.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flood-to-throw-cree-q3-wc-convex-lens-le...

Actually, the cheapest (I think it's the cheapest) ones are
adjustable:

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Alas, no zoom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam...ens-45807.html

Alas, no zoom.

********

Does that magnify the image?

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 13, 9:53*am, TimR wrote:
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? *Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? *Have any of you tried it?

Contrary to most everyone else's praises I find that the light is
usually not where my head/neck/eyes are comfortable and I usually end
up with sore neck muscles afterwards.

The best product I've found is the Joby light. Although it's a bit
pricy, it's super bright and can be used most anywhere.
http://joby.com/gorillatorch/original/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and
never have a free hand.

Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.

Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head
facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

I have acquired some led powered headlamps for camping
I now have one of them with the toolkit in each of my cars
Recently stopped to help a woman with a flat in late evening when the light
was going
It worked great
Although a diffuser would help for work close in

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Hiking-Lumen-CREE-Headlamp/dp/B004NK6Q7Y/
replaced a carbide light that I hadn't used since my coon hunting

days.

How's it get 300 lumens out of three AAA cells? Pretty small lumens,
maybe?

300 lumen is WAY TOO bright for working on something.
The glare would blind you
I have a 265 lumen flashlight for self-defense. It's so bright that if will
blind you temporarily if shined straight on.

This light is more for someone who wants to go hunting at night

OT - Headlamp Hack Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 0 April 19th 12 01:57 PM
Headlamp height Matty F UK diy 35 September 17th 11 11:03 PM
Need piece of steel for project; source? Dan Home Repair 22 April 30th 05 07:21 AM
Need single piece of sheet steel for a project, source? Dan Electronics Repair 7 April 30th 05 03:48 AM
Project Planner from Woodworkers Source vmtw Woodworking 0 November 8th 04 03:04 PM