Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave odor

My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.
What do you suggest?

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

FlaBill writes:

My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an
awful odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved
this problem. What do you suggest?

Electrical burning smell?

Take it in for service or trash it and get a new one.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:29:26 -0700 (PDT), FlaBill
wrote:

My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.
What do you suggest?

Bill

Do a head count of all your cats. Inspect them for bald spots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Return it to Sears, and see what they say.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"FlaBill" wrote in message
My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful
odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.
What do you suggest?

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

FlaBill,

Outside of my experience so I Googled. Someone seemed really happy with 2
tbsp of coffee grounds in 1/2 cup of water and run through the microwave for
3 min.
I'm assuming that you've already cleaned the interior.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect electrical part over heating. Might be dangerous. I didn't give a
lot of information on my last post. I'd seriously take it back to the store.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"FlaBill" wrote in message
My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful
odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.
What do you suggest?

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful
odor.
It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.
What do you suggest?

*If it turns out to not be an electrical component problem, a mouse may have
been trapped inside and might explain the burning hair smell.

I had a customer years ago complain for weeks about an awful smell in his
kitchen. For some reason I had to pull the wall oven out and there was the
carcass of a rat hanging on one of the wires in the back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 1:48*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I suspect electrical part over heating. Might be dangerous. I didn't give a
lot of information on my last post. I'd seriously take it back to the store.

Why would the store have anything to do with it
unless it was brand new? He said nothing about
the age and given that he says it's "started producing
an odor", the implication is that it's not a new unit.

If it's an electrical odor, time for a new one and'
especially if it's like 15+ years old. A new one
is only $100.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:12:17 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an awful
odor.
It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.
What do you suggest?

*If it turns out to not be an electrical component problem, a mouse may have
been trapped inside and might explain the burning hair smell.

I had a customer years ago complain for weeks about an awful smell in his
kitchen. For some reason I had to pull the wall oven out and there was the
carcass of a rat hanging on one of the wires in the back.

Maybe but I don't think he ever told us if this is a built in or on
the counter which may make a difference in this case. I tend tho to
lean on the electrical burning but with so limited info, it's really
nothing more than a guess. I do think that it's not worth fixing if
it's more than 5 years old unless he's doing the repair himself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Even then it's probably not worth it if it's a counter model
and any component of significance is shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shears and Roebunk does very expensive repairs, but they do repairs. Might
also been a recall.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:
I suspect electrical part over heating. Might be dangerous. I didn't give
lot of information on my last post. I'd seriously take it back to the
store.

Why would the store have anything to do with it
unless it was brand new? He said nothing about
the age and given that he says it's "started producing
an odor", the implication is that it's not a new unit.

If it's an electrical odor, time for a new one and'
especially if it's like 15+ years old. A new one
is only $100.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote:
I suspect electrical part over heating. Might be dangerous. I didn't give
lot of information on my last post. I'd seriously take it back to the
store.

Why would the store have anything to do with it
unless it was brand new? He said nothing about
the age and given that he says it's "started producing
an odor", the implication is that it's not a new unit.

If it's an electrical odor, time for a new one and'
especially if it's like 15+ years old. A new one
is only $100.

I'd say if it is under warranty it is worth looking into but I would not
have it repaired. I had one repaired once and could have gotten a new
one for the price. Microwaves now are like toasters or automatic coffee
makers, you just toss them and get a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave odor (Eau de burn?!)

I'd go about half of the "new" price in repairs. That's about where it's not
worth the money.

Burning smell, could be a lot of things.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

I'd say if it is under warranty it is worth looking into but I would not
have it repaired. I had one repaired once and could have gotten a new
one for the price. Microwaves now are like toasters or automatic coffee
makers, you just toss them and get a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I suspect electrical part over heating. Might be dangerous. I didn't give a
lot of information on my last post. I'd seriously take it back to the store.

Why would the store have anything to do with it
unless it was brand new? He said nothing about
the age and given that he says it's "started producing
an odor", the implication is that it's not a new unit.

If it's an electrical odor, time for a new one and'
especially if it's like 15+ years old. A new one
is only $100.

The model number is wrong or something. If it's like my sears combo unit,
lists for over $500 . See if the op comes back.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

FlaBill wrote:
My Kenmore Elite 1200 watt model 721.6339011 has started producing an
awful odor. It's like burning hair. Thorough cleaning has not solved this problem.
What do you suggest?

Bill

Are you sure have posted the correct model number?

That model number does not seem to match any Kenmore microwaves that I can
find.