Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are toilets made of porcelain?

According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...n?tag=home-mod

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless you are in the slammer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 6:14*am, Thomas wrote:
Unless you are in the slammer.

I was told by a plumber once that porcelain has a natural 'acidity'
that helps prevent calcification of the urine.

Or, some such effect that no other material has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 5:39*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta...

Most likely due to cost. Easy to mold, source is cheap, easy to care
for...

Cost would be my best guess.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 5:39 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always
been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta...

Most likely due to cost. Easy to mold, source is cheap, easy to care
for...

Cost would be my best guess.

What else could be used to create such a complex shape with the ease of
care. Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...n?tag=home-mod

A lot of things are still done because that is the way it has always
been done. Yet if you think about it, some things should be done
differently now.

For example bathtubs started out being claw foot and stand alone. The
valves were mounted low because they had to be attached to the tub. But
these days the valves are mounted to the wall. They can be higher up so
you can easily reach them for a shower or a bath. Yet they are still
mounted low.

Why shower heads are mounted at eye level, I don't know? But those can
be mounted higher.

Then electrical outlets are installed every 6 feet. Always been done
that way. But these days you might need to plug in 6 different things in
certain areas.

Like the king's lazy boy chair in the living room. Table lamp, corded
phone, cell phone charger, clock, back massager, etc.

Or where the TV/stereo goes.

On either side of the beds in the bedrooms.

Kitchen counter top outlets.

Computer area.

Etc. It would be best to install 4 or 6 outlets in these areas.

Also we no longer "dial" a phone number, we "push" it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2012 10:04 AM, Robert Macy wrote:
On Aug 2, 6:14 am, Thomas wrote:
Unless you are in the slammer.

I was told by a plumber once that porcelain has a natural 'acidity'
that helps prevent calcification of the urine.

Or, some such effect that no other material has.

Porcelain is HARDER than other ceramics. Glaze would keep stuff from
coming in contact with the porcelain. Before it is fired, porcelain
molded is like compacted baby powder...worked on some porcelain in
ceramics class and cleaning off mold marks was a bugger. Industrial
stuff may have other clays added but it is interesting to work with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 5:39 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always
been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta...

Most likely due to cost. Easy to mold, source is cheap, easy to care
for...

Cost would be my best guess.

What else could be used to create such a complex shape with the ease of
care. Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the
price of porcelain and be less stylish.

They are also harder to break like porcelain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:19:54 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

They include a sink, drinking fountain and paper holder. All in one
piece. They do not crack or break. When broken away from the wall,
during a "fit", they can be reattached at less cost by using the same
unit.

pic:

http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toilet_sink_combo.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

They include a sink, drinking fountain and paper holder. All in one
piece. They do not crack or break. When broken away from the wall,
during a "fit", they can be reattached at less cost by using the same
unit.

pic:

http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toilet_sink_combo.jpg

How about a combination toilet and washing machine, which uses the grey
water from the washing machine to flush the toilet:

http://i.imgur.com/Kw8Q0.jpg

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...n?tag=home-mod

Toilets are not made out of porcelain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain
They are made of glazed earthenware for reason of hygene and ease of
cleaning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

They include a sink, drinking fountain and paper holder. All in one
piece. They do not crack or break. When broken away from the wall,
during a "fit", they can be reattached at less cost by using the same
unit.

pic:

http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toilet_sink_combo.jpg

How about a combination toilet and washing machine, which uses the grey
water from the washing machine to flush the toilet:

http://i.imgur.com/Kw8Q0.jpg

Not sure I want grey water in the bowl and get splashback..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 10:33*am, Bill wrote:

Why shower heads are mounted at eye level, I don't know? But those can
be mounted higher.

Well, I've never seen a shower head at eye level, but I'm pretty
short. ;-)

However, most shower stalls have them centered (horizontally) in the
middle of one wall, above the valve.

I chose to install mine in the corner so that I can stand diagonally
in the stall. It gives me a little more elbow room.

Plumbing it was fun since the valve is centered on a wall like you
would expect it to be, but the shower head is not directly above it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:42:21 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 2, 10:33*am, Bill wrote:

Why shower heads are mounted at eye level, I don't know? But those can
be mounted higher.

Well, I've never seen a shower head at eye level, but I'm pretty
short. ;-)

I'm 5' 13.5 " inches. I moved the standard shower head up (18") when
doing renovations (easy with PEX). My BIL is really tall. He said it
was the first time he could actually stand under a shower head without
bending, like regular shower heights....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

They include a sink, drinking fountain and paper holder. All in one
piece. They do not crack or break. When broken away from the wall,
during a "fit", they can be reattached at less cost by using the same
unit.

pic:

http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toilet_sink_combo.jpg

How about a combination toilet and washing machine, which uses the grey
water from the washing machine to flush the toilet:

http://i.imgur.com/Kw8Q0.jpg

Not sure I want grey water in the bowl and get splashback..

harry would connect it the other way to avoid that problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 2, 10:33*am, Bill wrote:

Why shower heads are mounted at eye level, I don't know? But those can
be mounted higher.

Well, I've never seen a shower head at eye level, but I'm pretty
short. ;-)

I'm not exceptionally tall, but have seen some below my eye level; a real PITA
to wash the hair.

However, most shower stalls have them centered (horizontally) in the
middle of one wall, above the valve.

I chose to install mine in the corner so that I can stand diagonally
in the stall. It gives me a little more elbow room.

Build a bigger shower. Ours is 6'x6'.

Plumbing it was fun since the valve is centered on a wall like you
would expect it to be, but the shower head is not directly above it.

That's easy enough to do if the walls are open. Since having one, I prefer
the rain heads. The head is sticking out of the middle of the 9' ceiling. No
having to bend down to rinse my hair. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

They include a sink, drinking fountain and paper holder. All in one
piece. They do not crack or break. When broken away from the wall,
during a "fit", they can be reattached at less cost by using the same
unit.

pic:

http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toilet_sink_combo.jpg

How about a combination toilet and washing machine, which uses the grey
water from the washing machine to flush the toilet:

http://i.imgur.com/Kw8Q0.jpg

Not sure I want grey water in the bowl and get splashback..

harry would connect it the other way to avoid that problem.

.... or squat when he pees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 8:22*am, "Atila Iskander" wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 5:39 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always
been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta....

Most likely due to cost. *Easy to mold, source is cheap, easy to care
for...

Cost would be my best guess.

What else could be used to create such a complex shape with the ease of
care. Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the
price of porcelain and be less stylish.

They are also harder to break like porcelain.

If fear of breaking your home toilet is worrying yhou, put out the
horrendous cost of a stanless stell wone.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

They include a sink, drinking fountain and paper holder. All in one
piece. *They do not crack or break. *When broken away from the wall,
during a "fit", they can be reattached at less cost by using the same
unit.

pic:

http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toile....

How about a combination toilet and washing machine, which uses the grey
water from the washing machine to flush the toilet:

http://i.imgur.com/Kw8Q0.jpg

Jon

Mighty small load capacity and most times you arent' gonna be ready
for a load when the toilet needs flushing. IOW a solution to a
nonexistant problem.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

They include a sink, drinking fountain and paper holder. All in one
piece. *They do not crack or break. *When broken away from the wall,
during a "fit", they can be reattached at less cost by using the same
unit.

pic:

http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toile...

How about a combination toilet and washing machine, which uses the grey
water from the washing machine to flush the toilet:

http://i.imgur.com/Kw8Q0.jpg

Not sure I want grey water in the bowl and get splashback..

harry would connect it the other way to avoid that problem.

And probably use it to wash his toothbrush...if he uses one.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

That just seem so unfair. They should have stylish toilets too, or it
will lower their self esteem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I installed a "hand held" spray head (dunno what the tech term is).
Spray head on a handlw with a hose back to the where the normal spray

Also if the layout allows, put an 'assist handle" in front of the
toilet about armslenth ahead of it and about shoulder
height. Amazing assist in getting off the pot. I had to put one up
for mydisabled wife and the first tiem I used it wished that I had
done it 30 years earlier.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

Toilets are not made out of porcelain.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain
They are made of glazed earthenware for reason of hygene and ease of
cleaning.

do you enjoy pedantry?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...n?tag=home-mod

My plastic marine toilet grows mold.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 10:42 am, "harryagain" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always
been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta...

Toilets are not made out of
porcelain.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain
They are made of glazed earthenware for reason of hygene and ease of
cleaning.

do you enjoy pedantry?

Harry K

I hate ignorance. Doyou enjoy being ignorant?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even plastic marine toilets need a hobby.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...n?tag=home-mod

My plastic marine toilet grows mold.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:42:38 PM UTC-5, harry wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,

durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been

done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...n?tag=home-mod

Toilets are not made out of porcelain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain

They are made of glazed earthenware for reason of hygene and ease of

cleaning.

I replace my parents toilet and took their old (actual porcelain) toilet to the back 40. From about 200ft, it took many hits from a 22LR to eventually break!
Today's commodes would shatter from a cheap pellet gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, you're out back, shooting the ****?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message

They are made of glazed earthenware for reason of hygene and ease of

cleaning.

I replace my parents toilet and took their old (actual porcelain) toilet to
the back 40. From about 200ft, it took many hits from a 22LR to eventually
break!
Today's commodes would shatter from a cheap pellet gun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nothing but the finest, for our prisoners.

"I'm a prisoner around here, and I expect to be treated like one!" Otis
Campbell.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:19:54 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

That just seem so unfair. They should have stylish toilets too, or it
will lower their self esteem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 07:51:06 +0100, "harryagain" wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 10:42 am, "harryagain" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always
been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta...

Toilets are not made out of
porcelain.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain
They are made of glazed earthenware for reason of hygene and ease of
cleaning.

do you enjoy pedantry?

Harry K

I hate ignorance. Doyou enjoy being ignorant?

^^

harry, you hate everything so there's no reason you should exclude yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 9:19*pm, gregz wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta...

My plastic marine toilet grows mold.

Greg

Yep. A household toilet made of fiberglass would be a maintenance
nightmare.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

news:POydnZfiE8Gd6IfNnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@earthlink. com...

According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong,
durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always
been
done.

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toile...f-porcelain?ta....

Toilets are not made out of
porcelain.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain
They are made of glazed earthenware for reason of hygene and ease of
cleaning.

do you enjoy pedantry?

Harry K

I hate ignorance. *Doyou enjoy being ignorant?

* * * * * * * * * * *^^

harry, you hate everything so there's no reason you should exclude yourself.

Actually from his posting record he has _very_ good reason to hate
himself.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stainless steel toilets at the local jail/prison
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stainless steel toilets at the local jail/prison
Posted to alt.home.repair

Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price
of porcelain and be less stylish.

I wonder if they make a good counterpoise for prison radios?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 09:02:06 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

So, you're out back, shooting the ****?

You're ****tin' me!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 8:20*am, Steve Stone wrote:
Stainless steel toilets at the local jail/prison

So we should have them in the home? Do you have a point?

Harry K

New toilets yo[_4_] Home Repair 12 February 17th 11 03:59 AM
Other advancements were also being made to improve the durability ofthe wristwatch. The faces were replace with ones made of synthetic plastic.This made them much more durable and resistant to breaking and cracking.Another advancement was in the dial wholesale2 Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 08:16 PM
How to clean a stain off a machine made or hand made rug reviberation Home Repair 1 June 21st 07 08:03 PM
Old toilets # Fred # Home Repair 13 August 18th 06 02:26 AM
Toilets... dirty stinking toilets! dougga Home Repair 6 October 27th 04 06:56 PM