Junior Member

Red face Insulate an attic.

I live in the Southwest, NM near Santa Fe. We are originally from MO so are not really that familiar with the way they build here. How would I DIY insulate . There is no attic access but this is an Adobe style house and there is a large space above out ceiling as they put all ductwork above ceilings since they build on slabs. I thought it would be good to insulate. How would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulate an attic.

"Karen3678" wrote in message

I live in the Southwest, NM near Santa Fe. We are originally from MO so
are not really that familiar with the way they build here. How would I
DIY insulate . There is no attic access but this is an Adobe style house
and there is a large space above out ceiling as they put all ductwork
above ceilings since they build on slabs. I thought it would be good to
insulate. How would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

Start with the New Mexico Building Code, probably available free
at whatever office issues municipal or county building permits.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Karen3678" wrote in message

I live in the Southwest, NM near Santa Fe. We are originally from MO so
are not really that familiar with the way they build here. How would I
DIY insulate . There is no attic access but this is an Adobe style house
and there is a large space above out ceiling as they put all ductwork
above ceilings since they build on slabs. I thought it would be good to
insulate. How would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

I am not from that area so I don't know how homes like yours are typically
constructed.

Is there any kind of access panel to at least let you see into the attic to
see what's there -- maybe in a closet ceiling etc?

Or, could you create a small access panel somewhere?

Or, maybe ask your neighbors or at a nearby building supply place if they
know how your style of home is typically insulated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 4:26*pm, Karen3678 wrote:
I live in the Southwest, NM near Santa Fe. We are originally from MO so
are not really that familiar with the way they build here. How would I
DIY insulate . There is no attic access but this is an Adobe style house
and there is a large space above out ceiling as they put all ductwork
above ceilings since they build on slabs. I thought it would be good to
insulate. How would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

--
Karen3678

You could make an access in the ceiling of a closet to look around at
what's up there. Most houses I have known about that did not have an
access into the attic fromthe house below had an access from a gable
end, maybe behind a decorative panel or shuttters, or a fake window,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Karen3678 wrote:

I live in the Southwest, NM near Santa Fe. We are originally from MO so
are not really that familiar with the way they build here. How would I
DIY insulate . There is no attic access but this is an Adobe style house
and there is a large space above out ceiling as they put all ductwork
above ceilings since they build on slabs. I thought it would be good to
insulate. How would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

just a guess, but adobe homes aren't insulated due to the large thermal mass.
Letting the heat rise to the attic might well be helpful. As to the cooling...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:43:33 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

"Karen3678" wrote in message

I live in the Southwest, NM near Santa Fe. We are originally from MO so
are not really that familiar with the way they build here. How would I
DIY insulate . There is no attic access but this is an Adobe style house
and there is a large space above out ceiling as they put all ductwork
above ceilings since they build on slabs. I thought it would be good to
insulate. How would I do that? Thanks for any suggestions!

I am not from that area so I don't know how homes like yours are typically
constructed.

Is there any kind of access panel to at least let you see into the attic to
see what's there -- maybe in a closet ceiling etc?

Or, could you create a small access panel somewhere?

Or, maybe ask your neighbors or at a nearby building supply place if they
know how your style of home is typically insulated.

Common practice up here is to blow the loose-fill in through hole in
roof, which is then closed with an attic vent. (which is required
anyway). Best investment you can make in areas that require either
heating or cooling.