Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sander recommendation

Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work & maybe
to soften some edges on a few handrails.

What brand/kind would you recommend?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/25/2012 10:06 AM, Gomba wrote:
Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work& maybe
to soften some edges on a few handrails.

What brand/kind would you recommend?

Any of the 5" orbitals will satisfy that -- just go to the Borg and
choose the one that feels most comfortable. I've used P-C for years
just to have standardized and that they are the ones I do like the
balance, switch location, etc., etc., on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:06:20 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work & maybe
to soften some edges on a few handrails.

What brand/kind would you recommend?

Thanks!

I have a DeWalt orbital that came free when I bought a saw. I'm happy
with it. Used on fascia trim, doors, table top, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 25, 10:06*am, "Gomba" wrote:
Need a sander for occasional light use. *Mostly just new trim work & maybe
to soften some edges on a few handrails.

What brand/kind would you recommend?

Thanks!

Porter-Cable has been dominant in sanders for nearly a century. Tried
others, bought P-C when they crapped out, Whole shop is P-C now, 4 x
24" belt, 6" RO, etc.For now, my adice is go Harbor Freight and you
will get more product for the $$. Upgrade when your needs/ budget
dictates.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:27:32 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:06:20 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work & maybe
to soften some edges on a few handrails.

What brand/kind would you recommend?

Thanks!

I have a DeWalt orbital that came free when I bought a saw. I'm happy
with it. Used on fascia trim, doors, table top, etc.

Orbitals are excellent, but since he said trim I'll go off the wall a
bit. Harbor Freight multi-tool.
The triangular sanding pads work well for small stuff, and get into
tight spots. Cheap enough too, including pads.
Then you get something besides a sander.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-25, Oren wrote:

I have a DeWalt orbital that came free when I bought a saw. I'm happy
with it. Used on fascia trim, doors, table top, etc.

I think I got that same combo. Problem is, the jig saw has no air
blower and throws all the sawdust out onto the guideline so you can't
see it unless yer bent over and making like the big bad wolf. Very
bad/cheap design. The sander works OK.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-25, Oren wrote:

I have a DeWalt orbital that came free when I bought a saw. I'm happy
with it. Used on fascia trim, doors, table top, etc.

I think I got that same combo. Problem is, the jig saw has no air
blower and throws all the sawdust out onto the guideline so you can't
see it unless yer bent over and making like the big bad wolf. Very
bad/cheap design. The sander works OK.

nb

My sander came with a 12" compound miter saw, not a multi-piece set of
tools. I didn't know it was even in the package, until I opened
things up. Nice surprise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gomba" wrote in message ...

Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work & maybe
to soften some edges on a few handrails. What brand/kind would you
recommend?

For finishing trim and softening edges on handrails I prefer a sanding
sponge to either of the two power stools on the rack.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gomba wrote:
Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work &
maybe to soften some edges on a few handrails.

What brand/kind would you recommend?

The choice of the Harbor Freight palm finishing sander ($22), or the random
orbital sander ($25) should be more than adequate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/palm-fi...der-95020.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-...der-93431.html

Here's a review on the latter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-25, Oren wrote:

I have a DeWalt orbital that came free when I bought a saw. I'm happy
with it. Used on fascia trim, doors, table top, etc.

I think I got that same combo. Problem is, the jig saw has no air
blower and throws all the sawdust out onto the guideline so you can't
see it unless yer bent over and making like the big bad wolf. Very
bad/cheap design. The sander works OK.

nb

My sander came with a 12" compound miter saw, not a multi-piece set of
tools. I didn't know it was even in the package, until I opened
things up. Nice surprise.
--

You didn't know that there was a 12" compound miter saw in the package?

Didn't you wonder why the box was so big? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2012 3:04 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"Gomba" wrote in message ...

Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work & maybe
to soften some edges on a few handrails. What brand/kind would you
recommend?

For finishing trim and softening edges on handrails I prefer a sanding
sponge to either of the two power stools on the rack.

Good advice. I've preferred a manual sanding block many times in the
past for trim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:36:03 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2012 10:06 AM, Gomba wrote:
> Need a sander for occasional light use. Mostly just new trim work& maybe
> to soften some edges on a few handrails.
>
> What brand/kind would you recommend?

Any of the 5" orbitals will satisfy that -- just go to the Borg and
choose the one that feels most comfortable. I've used P-C for years
just to have standardized and that they are the ones I do like the
balance, switch location, etc., etc., on.

--

Ditto - I picked up a Milwaukee variable speed 5" about a year ago when an old machine died. At high speed, and with coarse paper, it will aggressively remove wood. At low speed with 220 or 400 it also does a pretty good job with finish work. I use it as a supplement to a couple of Dewalt vibrating pad sanders.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sander recommendation Rob UK diy 4 June 21st 12 10:00 PM
Belt Sander Recommendation John Raymond Woodworking 11 October 11th 09 04:06 PM
Tabletop Disk sander recommendation? woodman Woodturning 7 February 11th 07 11:40 PM
Electric Sander Recommendation? ste-m UK diy 12 December 1st 06 10:45 AM
Sander Recommendation? Graham Jones UK diy 9 January 14th 06 02:29 PM