Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ouch! cracked Plasma TV front glass

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:53:15 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

> Hmmm,
> Any one has Sharp LED one?

No such thing as an LED TV at this point, possibly in the future.
Today's options are LCD or plasma basically. LED only refers to the
backlighting of the LCD panel. Early LCD panels used fluorescent
backlighting, and I don't think very many of those are even made
anymore. LED backlighting comes in a number of flavors these days with
edge lit being the common less expensive variant. Some LED backlit LCD
TVs have the LEDs behind the LCD in an array that is actively controlled
to reduce backlight in areas with a darker image to increase the
contrast ratio. I think a few high end units even use RGB LEDs similarly
to enhance colored areas of the image with matching backlight.

Got that covered already, thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:40:12 -0500, "Pete C." wrote:

" wrote:

SFB, matsu****a is the parent company of the Panasonic, Techniques,
Quasar and probably a number of other brands.

Wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:23:38 -0400, George
wrote:

On 7/19/2012 11:27 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:43:39 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:17:48 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I don't know about LG TVs but I have a 27 inch 400 buck LG monitor. I
also have a 20ish 100 buck Acer monitor. The Acer has clearer text
than the LG. I would not get another LG monitor.

Wow, I have a $200 LG monitor and it is sharper than any in my house
or at work. I'd definitely buy another LG. I like my LG TV also, but
Samsung is at least equal. My wife's Samsung monitor is not as good
as my LG.

I have to wonder with any brand if they have improved or cheapened
them based on the differences of our experience. My LG monitor is
about 5 years old.

Most of the time when someone reports this type of apparent issue, they
are either comparing an analog signal to a digital one or have the
phasing settings misadjusted on an analog input. I use my 26" LG
HDTV/monitor for CAD work much of the time and it is crystal clear.

Could you point me to a site where this is discussed.........slowly
My 27 inch is using an HDMI cable and the 20-21 is using a DVI cable.
The 20 does 1080P but does not have an HDMI port.

When I first noticed the difference, the 27 was using a 20ft HDMI
cable. I changed it to a 6ft HDMI that is barely long enough to reach
the tower. It may have helped a little.

The program that makes the noticeable difference is Winmx. I really
don't notice it using IE or FF. But with Winmx the difference is
really noticeable.

Lots of stuff to consider. DVI can be either analog or digital. What is
the quality of the video cards? Is the resolution running at the native
resolution for the monitors?

It is a single card. I am not using the onboard video. The card is a
Sapphire Radeon Hd 6970. Both monitors are using 1920x1080. I don't
really know if that is native, but I assume it is.

BTW the machine is an I7-2600k 3.4 quad core with 8G memory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2012 10:40 AM, Pete C. wrote:

" wrote:

SFB, matsu****a is the parent company of the Panasonic, Techniques,
Quasar and probably a number of other brands.

Matsu****a is no longer used as a corporate name. The name was dropped
around 2008. The company uses Panasonic as the corporate parent name
now globally.

Panasonic is a very trustworthy name so that's why they changed the
name. Plamsa TVs are a Panasonic strength.

Does SFB means **** for brains? It used to in the old IRC days. Because
if it does, you may want to retract that on this particular issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

SFB, matsu****a is the parent company of the Panasonic, Techniques,
Quasar and probably a number of other brands.

Matsu****a is no longer used as a corporate name. The name was dropped
around 2008. The company uses Panasonic as the corporate parent name
now globally.

Panasonic is a very trustworthy name so that's why they changed the
name. Plamsa TVs are a Panasonic strength.

Does SFB means **** for brains? It used to in the old IRC days. Because
if it does, you may want to retract that on this particular issue.

A very recent name change does not in any way mean that matsu****a was
not indeed the parent company of Panasonic. As for Panasonic quality, I
spent far too many years having to use their garbage and having it fail
right out of the factory sealed box to consider it remotely trustworthy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't know about LG TVs but I have a 27 inch 400 buck LG monitor. I
also have a 20ish 100 buck Acer monitor. The Acer has clearer text
than the LG. I would not get another LG monitor.

Wow, I have a $200 LG monitor and it is sharper than any in my house
or at work. I'd definitely buy another LG. I like my LG TV also, but
Samsung is at least equal. My wife's Samsung monitor is not as good
as my LG.

I have to wonder with any brand if they have improved or cheapened
them based on the differences of our experience. My LG monitor is
about 5 years old.

As with ANY product, there is high end and low end fron each
manufacturer. A cheap of any brand will be poorer than a good of any
other brand, with some natable exceptions where an incredibly low
priced product CAN blow away its higher priced competition. Can't
predict which company and model it will be from quarter to quarter
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

SFB, matsu****a is the parent company of the Panasonic, Techniques,
Quasar and probably a number of other brands.

Matsu****a is no longer used as a corporate name. The name was dropped
around 2008. The company uses Panasonic as the corporate parent name
now globally.

Panasonic is a very trustworthy name so that's why they changed the
name. Plamsa TVs are a Panasonic strength.

Does SFB means **** for brains? It used to in the old IRC days. Because
if it does, you may want to retract that on this particular issue.

A very recent name change does not in any way mean that matsu****a was
not indeed the parent company of Panasonic. As for Panasonic quality, I
spent far too many years having to use their garbage and having it fail
right out of the factory sealed box to consider it remotely trustworthy.

Why did you use the term SFB in this thread? SFB usually means **** for
brains. Why did you call somebody SFB when they were posting correct
information?

If your use of SFB did not stand for **** for brains then what was your
intended meaning?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

SFB, matsu****a is the parent company of the Panasonic, Techniques,
Quasar and probably a number of other brands.

Matsu****a is no longer used as a corporate name. The name was dropped
around 2008. The company uses Panasonic as the corporate parent name
now globally.

Panasonic is a very trustworthy name so that's why they changed the
name. Plamsa TVs are a Panasonic strength.

Does SFB means **** for brains? It used to in the old IRC days. Because
if it does, you may want to retract that on this particular issue.

A very recent name change does not in any way mean that matsu****a was
not indeed the parent company of Panasonic. As for Panasonic quality, I
spent far too many years having to use their garbage and having it fail
right out of the factory sealed box to consider it remotely trustworthy.

Panasonic *IS* the parent company. You said it was Matsu****a, which is
false, and then went on your rant. I don't expect an apology. STFU, would be
enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:53:15 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Any one has Sharp LED one?

No such thing as an LED TV at this point, possibly in the future.

Actually there IS. The Sonly XEL-1 OLED TV was introduced and sold in
2008-2009 in select markets (including Canada). At just under $3.000
for an 11 inch display it was not a big seller - but the picture had
fantastic contrast and viewing angle - it's only real problem was
primary colour reproduction accuracy

Today's options are LCD or plasma basically. LED only refers to the
backlighting of the LCD panel. Early LCD panels used fluorescent
backlighting, and I don't think very many of those are even made
anymore. LED backlighting comes in a number of flavors these days with
edge lit being the common less expensive variant. Some LED backlit LCD
TVs have the LEDs behind the LCD in an array that is actively controlled
to reduce backlight in areas with a darker image to increase the
contrast ratio. I think a few high end units even use RGB LEDs similarly
to enhance colored areas of the image with matching backlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:48:45 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Want to save sales tax? www.abt.com I've bought a couple of items
from them. Fast delivery, free shipping on most items.

Are you saying you don't file a CT sales and use tax return on your out
of state untaxed purchases?

I do when I pay my income tax. There is a line on the form for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:47:37 -0400, George
wrote:

I think in general a smaller monitor will always look better than a
bigger monitor.

That was very true of the CRT set with 525 lines. With flat screen
technology and high definition, you get good quality even at close
distance on big screens. That is why the big ass 55" and up are so
popular.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Panasonic is the 2008 renamed matsu****a which was long the parent
company SFB. Regardless of what name they call themselves now they still
make **** products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Any one has Sharp LED one?

No such thing as an LED TV at this point, possibly in the future.

Actually there IS. The Sonly XEL-1 OLED TV was introduced and sold in
2008-2009 in select markets (including Canada). At just under $3.000
for an 11 inch display it was not a big seller - but the picture had
fantastic contrast and viewing angle - it's only real problem was
primary colour reproduction accuracy

Yes, limited distribution, insane price, anything but mainstream. If you
go looking for a TV in your local electronics retailer today your
choices are basically plasma or LED backlit LCD, or DLP based projectors
of course.

Today's options are LCD or plasma basically. LED only refers to the
backlighting of the LCD panel. Early LCD panels used fluorescent
backlighting, and I don't think very many of those are even made
anymore. LED backlighting comes in a number of flavors these days with
edge lit being the common less expensive variant. Some LED backlit LCD
TVs have the LEDs behind the LCD in an array that is actively controlled
to reduce backlight in areas with a darker image to increase the
contrast ratio. I think a few high end units even use RGB LEDs similarly
to enhance colored areas of the image with matching backlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

So you freely admit that you're liar. Fair enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:24:39 AM UTC-5, HeyBub wrote:

I had an LCD monitor go belly up and wash ashore. Checking the web, I
found that capacitors for this particular model were flaky. Taking the list
from the web site, I bought 11 capacitors (as I recall about six dollars)
and, deftly wielding a soldering iron, replaced them. Monitor now works
perfectly.

Point is, you can't kill a corpse. I'd invest a couple of hours in a
possible cure.

I did the same with a 19" and posted the fix on an electronics forum and was chewed on because I used "the wrong type capacitor" for a switching power supply. It is still working after 2+ years! A__holes!

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

You prove again and again that you're a SFB. The company history clearly
shows matsu****a as the parent company up until the 2008 name change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

It's not my fault that you're *that* dense; too stupid to even use Google.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Aw, poor baby had a public tantrum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:17:59 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Troll... *plonk*

Grab the camera. A Plonkasuras has been sighted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob_Villa wrote:
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:24:39 AM UTC-5, HeyBub wrote:

I had an LCD monitor go belly up and wash ashore. Checking the web, I
found that capacitors for this particular model were flaky. Taking
the list from the web site, I bought 11 capacitors (as I recall
about six dollars) and, deftly wielding a soldering iron, replaced
them. Monitor now works perfectly.

Point is, you can't kill a corpse. I'd invest a couple of hours in a
possible cure.

I did the same with a 19" and posted the fix on an electronics forum
and was chewed on because I used "the wrong type capacitor" for a
switching power supply. It is still working after 2+ years! A__holes!

Did you use a green one instead of black? Disk-shaped ceramic instead of
tubular?

The world wants to know!

It might be time for an update to your post from two years ago.