Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Capacitor

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:35:06 -0500, Suzie-Q wrote:

Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Thanks,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

The new, made in Mexico, etc, capacitors seem to have short lives.
I've got old AC units with 20 year old caps in them that have no
problems but some of the new stuff only lasts 1 or 2 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Suzie-Q wrote:

Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

No. My current two machines are over 5 years old and run every day during the
summer with no problems. Likewise in a previous house - 8 years with no problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:12:42 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:35:06 -0500, Suzie-Q > wrote:

>Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
>to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
>outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
>capacitors normally wear out this often?
>
>I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
>summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
>old.
>
>Thanks,
>
>8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
>~~~~~~~~~
>
>http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
>http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

The new, made in Mexico, etc, capacitors seem to have short lives.
I've got old AC units with 20 year old caps in them that have no
problems but some of the new stuff only lasts 1 or 2 years.

DITTO

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:23:06 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

Suzie-Q wrote:

Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

No. My current two machines are over 5 years old and run every day during the
summer with no problems. Likewise in a previous house - 8 years with no problem.

My ild unit was 38 years old and had never had a problem when I
pulled and replaced it this spring.
With as hot as it has been this summer, I'm glad I replaced it BEFORE
it quit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:35:06 -0500, Suzie-Q wrote:

Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Thanks,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

Mabee you need a soft start kit (or is it called a hard start)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Where are you located? I ask as it could be a problem with the line
conditioning (or lack of) in the mains. We had a place out away from town
that had a major plant on the same line. Their load reflected a major phase
shift to our AC and until an active phase balance was set up on our leg we
were blowing stuff (not just caps) all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2012 7:35 PM, Suzie-Q wrote:
Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Thanks,

A lot of the new capacitors are coming from China and I don't believe
the voltage rating on the labels but I always replace 370vac rated caps
with 470vac rated units as a matter of routine. When a rural customer
has problems with capacitors failing, I often instal surge arresters
on the AC equipment and it seems to mitigate the problem of damage to
capacitors due to voltage spikes. Newer equipment often has some very
expensive circuit boards in it that surge protection will help preserve.
Always ask your service tech to install 470 volt rated capacitors when
replacing a blown cap. You might also ask about surge arresters that can
be installed on the AC equipment. There are some very good and
inexpensive arresters that can be wired in to were the power connects
to your outside AC unit and also the cabinet of the indoor air handler
or furnace. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-705073-.htm
DA wrote:
Suzie-Q wrote:

Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

Which of the two capacitors or which side of the dual capacitor is failing
- run or start? Were you testing them yourself or did the tech just tell
you "the capacitor is bad"? What exactly was wrong, what type of a
failu loss of capacitance, a short or an open, did it just blow apart?
They all have their own different reasons and knowing what exactly is
wrong can help you find the issue with the motor(s).

For example, an open capacitor can be indicative of overvoltage or voltage
spikes. If your replacement capacitors are 440V (or 370V), it may be
helpful to install a 600V next time. A capacitor lifetime increases
greatly if the operating voltage is further down from the maximum rated.
You will more than make up the $30 difference in prices between 600V and
440V capacitors of the same value if you skip just one service call.

A short, a significant loss of capacitance or the mini explosion of a
capacitor may be results of high peak currents suggesting either
compressor hard start condition or capacitor value not matching the motors
(fan and compressor). Perhaps you just need a different replacement
capacitor next time. Or address the compressor pressure issues or install
a hard start kit.

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Temperature is also very important - lifetime of the capacitor halves for
every 10C (18F) degrees increase in temperature. Not sure what you can do
about it except of course verify that there's proper air flow through the
unit, the coils and the cage are clean, no leaves or bushes, that sort of
thing. A bad connector at the capacitor terminals can heat the terminal
and subsequently the rest of the capacitor. Would not hurt to verify if
all wires are secured. Would not hurt if the power is off and the
capacitor is discharged, I hope you understand that.

Anyhow, just wanted to say that next time don't let the tech just throw
the faulty capacitor out, find out what is wrong with it and fix the
reason. 2 years is a very short lifetime for a capacitor, definitely not
normal.

-------------------------------------
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

OOPS! I just realized, it's 440 volt capacitor not 470 volt. Silly me. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Suzie-Q wrote:
Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Thanks,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

Hi,
Regarding caps. It better have same or higher W.V. rating and if value
is not matched, bigger cap is better than smaller cap. ie, if cap is 5
mF,if same 5mF one is not available to replace 6mF is better than 4mF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Thanks,

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

There is no reason why a capacitor should not last forever. It must be
inferior.
Try another make or one of the same value in microFarads
(?F) but a higher voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's a few volts, among friends? As hot as it's been, I'm amazed any of us
are on the usenet lists.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
the voltage rating on the labels but I always replace 370vac rated caps
with 470vac rated units as a matter of routine. When a rural customer

TDD

OOPS! I just realized, it's 440 volt capacitor not 470 volt. Silly me. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:32:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What's a few volts, among friends? As hot as it's been, I'm amazed any of us
are on the usenet lists.

The AC works (after $1500 for an evaporator and a day off work waiting around
for the HVAC guy to get it right).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2012 7:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
What's a few volts, among friends? As hot as it's been, I'm amazed any of us
are on the usenet lists.

We were back in Tupelo yesterday, 300 mile round trip to get on the roof
of the drug store to install an interface board in a Trane AC
unit so it could hook to a standard thermostat thus communicate with
the remote control energy management system. At least it wasn't so
hot that any metal we touched gave us second burns. The last time we
were there it was 105-107°F in town. We're not working today [yet]
because we're worn out and haven't received a call that the point of
sale system equipment has arrived which we installed the network for
earlier in the week. My hair hurts, my toenails itch and my eyeballs
are squeaking. A sure sign I'm very tired. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "NotMe"
wrote:

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
Just a curiosity question. Seems like every year and a half
to two years I have to have the capacitor replaced on the
outside part of my central AC. Is this normal? I mean, do
capacitors normally wear out this often?

I'm in central Texas, so the AC gets a lot of use in the
summer. I think the outside unit is about six or seven years
old.

Where are you located? I ask as it could be a problem with the line
conditioning (or lack of) in the mains. We had a place out away from town
that had a major plant on the same line. Their load reflected a major phase
shift to our AC and until an active phase balance was set up on our leg we
were blowing stuff (not just caps) all the time.

I live in a small subdivision inside the city limits. As far
as I know, my neighbors haven't had this problem, but I haven't
asked. I will!

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/

How to size capacitor for capacitor run fan motor Andy[_15_] Electronics Repair 12 January 4th 10 09:38 PM
My Flux Capacitor is bigger than your Flux Capacitor. - FluxCapacitor.jpg (0/2) TralfamadoranJetPilot Electronic Schematics 0 August 19th 09 09:15 AM
capacitor swapu Home Repair 7 December 25th 08 05:53 PM
Capacitor value Golf Electronics Repair 10 November 16th 06 07:19 AM
Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run Motor Robowang Electronics Repair 13 October 18th 06 08:11 PM