Junior Member

Default Basement in Outbuilding

I am buying a house which has a large outbuilding. I would like to knock it down, build a basement level underneath and then essentially rebuild it. Is this kind of thing approved readily? i remember reading about outbuildings being limited to one storey but does that mean above ground?

This is in Buckinghamshire, UK

cheers

Last edited by clclclcl : July 14th 12 at 10:17 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 21:15:30 +0000, clclclcl
wrote:

I am buying a house which has a large outbuilding. I would like to knock
it down, build a basement level underneath and then essentially rebuild
it. Is this kind of thing approved readily?

Yes, you have my approval already! Now get to work.

If you can get the equipment inside, dig it out from the inside
leaving a 1 foot perimeter, pour the basement walls and be done. It
will be slightly smaller but you avoid permits and taxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 5:15*pm, clclclcl wrote:

I am buying a house which has a large outbuilding. I would like to knock
it down, build a basement level underneath and then essentially rebuild
it. Is this kind of thing approved readily? i remember reading about
outbuildings being limited to one storey but does that mean above
ground?

You should _never_ have an outhouse with a basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
clclclcl

Most people here are Yanks.
You will find your local planning office holds free "surgeries" where you
can go along and get an opinion about what you propose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"clclclcl" wrote in message

I am buying a house which has a large outbuilding. I would like to knock
it down, build a basement level underneath and then essentially rebuild
it. Is this kind of thing approved readily? i remember reading about
outbuildings being limited to one storey but does that mean above
ground?

This is in Buckinghamshire, UK

In Oxon. (only 30 miles distant) the local planning authorities forbade
modifications like this (when my father wanted to transform a brick
pigsty into a garden shed.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs