Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 in 1 Oil (stinks)

wrote in
:

What exactly is 3 in 1 Oil anyhow? It appears to be just a very thin
oil. What is the weight of this oil? (such as 10w or 20w), Why can't

plain thin oil be purchased instead?

I have no problem with the oil itself and it's lubrication ability. I
*DO* have a problem with the perfume they put in it. To put it exactly
like it is, the stuff stinks. It's been nearly 24 hours since I put
some 3 in 1 oil on the chuck of an electric drill, because the drill

was
left outdoors, got wet, and the chuck was rusty and not moving easily.
The oil solved the problem, but caused another problem. Now my hands
smell like 3 in 1 oil. That's 24 hours and the odor still lingers on

my
hands, even after washing them with hand cleaner, common soap, and dish
detergent. So, here I am trying to eat my sandwich for lunch and
everytime I get my hand near my nose, I smell that nasty odor.

Worse yet, now I have to figure out how to remove that stuff from the
drill chuck, or everytime I use the drill my hands will smell again.
I'm guessing brake cleaner might remove it, and then I'll have to use
just plain 10W motor oil on the chuck.

The question arises...... Why the hell do they put that perfume in the
oil? Why cant they just sell plain oil, which has no real odor? It's
not a safety issue, such as the odor they put into natural gas..... In
fact I dont see any reason whatsoever to put the scent into it, other
than to reduce sales of the ****.

Be grateful that the oil sticks so well.
That means it is topgrade for longterm protection.....