Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to check if AC drain pipe clogged

AZ is a bit hot lately, so running AC's more than usual.

Just noticed no dripping out the drain pipes, but then again has been
a bit dry at 10-12% humidity so maybe no big deal. But remember Jim
Thompson, and others posting about spider nest build up in pipe or
slime mold clogging pipes and not noticing until catastrophic, like
water is dripping through ceiling.

Don't want to get that far.

So how to make certain the AC drain system is clear?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Take a wet and dry "shop vac" and use it to apply vaccum to the drippy end.

Or, open up the system and pour hot water and bleach (about 1 part Clorox to
9 parts hot water) into the drain tube, at the A coil end.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
AZ is a bit hot lately, so running AC's more than usual.

Just noticed no dripping out the drain pipes, but then again has been
a bit dry at 10-12% humidity so maybe no big deal. But remember Jim
Thompson, and others posting about spider nest build up in pipe or
slime mold clogging pipes and not noticing until catastrophic, like
water is dripping through ceiling.

Don't want to get that far.

So how to make certain the AC drain system is clear?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 15:48:54 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

AZ is a bit hot lately, so running AC's more than usual.

Same here in NV.

Just noticed no dripping out the drain pipes, but then again has been
a bit dry at 10-12% humidity so maybe no big deal. But remember Jim
Thompson, and others posting about spider nest build up in pipe or
slime mold clogging pipes and not noticing until catastrophic, like
water is dripping through ceiling.

Is the drain above a window on the second floor or near the ground on
the outside? Easy to get to...

Don't want to get that far.

So how to make certain the AC drain system is clear?

This is a tool that you may be able to make or buy one for $20.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyvPR7yMqbk

Tool Web site:

http://diyvac.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AZ is a bit hot lately, so running AC's more than usual.

Just noticed no dripping out the drain pipes, but then again has been
a bit dry at 10-12% humidity so maybe no big deal. But remember Jim
Thompson, and others posting about spider nest build up in pipe or
slime mold clogging pipes and not noticing until catastrophic, like
water is dripping through ceiling.

Don't want to get that far.

So how to make certain the AC drain system is clear?

If the unit evap coil is in the attic, you should have a drain pan.
Might want to see if it's holding water. As I recall there should be
a primary and secondary drain line???
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

AZ is a bit hot lately, so running AC's more than usual.

Just noticed no dripping out the drain pipes, but then again has been
a bit dry at 10-12% humidity so maybe no big deal. But remember Jim
Thompson, and others posting about spider nest build up in pipe or
slime mold clogging pipes and not noticing until catastrophic, like
water is dripping through ceiling.

Don't want to get that far.

So how to make certain the AC drain system is clear?

Have two wet n dry's in storage, so not allowed to buy another.

I wonder if 'lung' power' would suffice?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
AZ is a bit hot lately, so running AC's more than usual.

Same here in NV.

Just noticed no dripping out the drain pipes, but then again has been
a bit dry at 10-12% humidity so maybe no big deal. But remember Jim
Thompson, and others posting about spider nest build up in pipe or
slime mold clogging pipes and not noticing until catastrophic, like
water is dripping through ceiling.

Is the drain above a window on the second floor or near the ground on
the outside? Easy to get to...

Don't want to get that far.

So how to make certain the AC drain system is clear?

This is a tool that you may be able to make or buy one for $20.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyvPR7yMqbk

Tool Web site:

http://diyvac.com/

Thank you for the URL!

Never thought to make my own attachment to use every so often as
'maintenance' Great idea. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
AZ is a bit hot lately, so running AC's more than usual.

Just noticed no dripping out the drain pipes, but then again has been
a bit dry at 10-12% humidity so maybe no big deal. But remember Jim
Thompson, and others posting about spider nest build up in pipe or
slime mold clogging pipes and not noticing until catastrophic, like
water is dripping through ceiling.

Don't want to get that far.

So how to make certain the AC drain system is clear?

If the unit evap coil is in the attic, you should have a drain pan.
Might want to see if it's holding water. * As I recall there should be
a primary and secondary drain line???

There are two, one high on the outside wall and one low on the outside
wall, with the low one doing most of the dripping [when they dripped]

I hate going into the attic. It must be 150+ up there, Touch a wooden
strut in the truss system and get burnt. But if I have to, I have to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That depends upon the age and condition of the possessor of the lung.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure! But, call the ambulance first. In case you get a humungous slug of
mold, mildew, and condensate directly into your lungs. Me, I would not risk
it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:
Take a wet and dry "shop vac" and use it to apply vaccum to the drippy
end.

Have two wet n dry's in storage, so not allowed to buy another.

I wonder if 'lung' power' would suffice?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do it about 5 AM. Set the alarm clock.
I know what you mean about hot attics.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

If the unit evap coil is in the attic, you should have a drain pan.
Might want to see if it's holding water. As I recall there should be
a primary and secondary drain line???

There are two, one high on the outside wall and one low on the outside
wall, with the low one doing most of the dripping [when they dripped]

I hate going into the attic. It must be 150+ up there, Touch a wooden
strut in the truss system and get burnt. But if I have to, I have to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

There are two, one high on the outside wall and one low on the outside
wall, with the low one doing most of the dripping [when they dripped]

I hate going into the attic. It must be 150+ up there, Touch a wooden
strut in the truss system and get burnt. But if I have to, I have to.

If you have only one evaporator unit, that is you don't have two systems,
the lower one should drip-drip-drip. That's normal. If the upper one drips,
the lower one is clogged. The upper one would be the emergency condensate
catcher.

There are three common tricks in dealing with a hot attic:

1. Do your work just before dawn. You'll have to use artificial lighting
anyway...

2. Put a lawn sprinkler on the roof.

3. Disconnect one of the ducts and use the a/c to cool the attic. Reconnect
when done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:16:01 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:

There are two, one high on the outside wall and one low on the outside
wall, with the low one doing most of the dripping [when they dripped]

I hate going into the attic. It must be 150+ up there, Touch a wooden
strut in the truss system and get burnt. But if I have to, I have to.

If you have only one evaporator unit, that is you don't have two systems,
the lower one should drip-drip-drip. That's normal. If the upper one drips,
the lower one is clogged. The upper one would be the emergency condensate
catcher.

There are three common tricks in dealing with a hot attic:

1. Do your work just before dawn. You'll have to use artificial lighting
anyway...

2. Put a lawn sprinkler on the roof.

3. Disconnect one of the ducts and use the a/c to cool the attic. Reconnect
when done.

How does that work when you're working on the evaporator? ;-)

OR

4. (my favorite) Pay someone else to do it. ;-)