Posted to alt.home.repair

Default types of auto batteries

I recently bought a battery charger ---vector model VEC 1095A---at a
yard sale. The instryctions say determine what type battery you want to
charge, wet,gel, or agm. Would someone please explain the difference?
I assume wet is the one you add water to and gel is the kind without
caps. Is this right and what is agm? Thanks for any reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

DAGS!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_battery

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
I recently bought a battery charger ---vector model VEC 1095A---at a
yard sale. The instryctions say determine what type battery you want to
charge, wet,gel, or agm. Would someone please explain the difference?
I assume wet is the one you add water to and gel is the kind without
caps. Is this right and what is agm? Thanks for any reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/25/12 08:10 am, Herb Eneva wrote:

I recently bought a battery charger ---vector model VEC 1095A---at a
yard sale. The instryctions say determine what type battery you want to
charge, wet,gel, or agm. Would someone please explain the difference?
I assume wet is the one you add water to and gel is the kind without
caps. Is this right and what is agm? Thanks for any reply

AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat

AGM and Gelled-electrolyte batteries are unspillable and do not have caps.

Most (perhaps all) automobile batteries are wet, but not all wet
batteries are designed to have water added. Our Chrysler's battery does
not have removable caps.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:41:18 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 06/25/12 08:10 am, Herb Eneva wrote:

I recently bought a battery charger ---vector model VEC 1095A---at a
yard sale. The instryctions say determine what type battery you want to
charge, wet,gel, or agm. Would someone please explain the difference?
I assume wet is the one you add water to and gel is the kind without
caps. Is this right and what is agm? Thanks for any reply

AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat

AGM and Gelled-electrolyte batteries are unspillable and do not have caps.

Most (perhaps all) automobile batteries are wet, but not all wet
batteries are designed to have water added. Our Chrysler's battery does
not have removable caps.

Perce

VIRTUALLY all automotve batteries are wet. Optima are AGM - there are
a very few other brands available on the aftermarket - no OEM that I
am aware of. Never heard of a GEL automotive battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe that you are correct about the Optima being the only AGM (at
least the only popular one) but there are many motorcycle and ATV
batteries that are AGM....even Wal-Mart's are. You pour the acid in but
you can never pour it back out nor will it spill as it is absorbed by
the glass matting.

Don

I am not aware of a single true AGM battery that is shipped dry.ALL
AGM batteries are sealed and valve regulated (holding pressure) and
recombinant (do not produce hydrogen and oxygen under normal
conditions of use) They are also "starved electrolyte" which would
preclude filling by the end user. And I've been in the
automotive/electrical field for a LONG time