Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ants and dogs

Specifically, red ants in US MO. They tend to take possession of my back
yard every summer.

I have a jug of Amdro, but I can't just pour it out in the yard for fear
of damage to the (hungry) dog.

So I gotta build a little Amdro dispenser with an opening large enough
for ants, much too small for the dog to penetrate.

Right?

Only alternative is to buy an expensive ant trap that is dog-proof.

Right?

Thx,
Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

Specifically, red ants in US MO. They tend to take possession of my back
yard every summer.

I have a jug of Amdro, but I can't just pour it out in the yard for fear
of damage to the (hungry) dog.

So I gotta build a little Amdro dispenser with an opening large enough
for ants, much too small for the dog to penetrate.

Right?

Only alternative is to buy an expensive ant trap that is dog-proof.

Right?

Thx,
Will

Don't know if this will work for you but try DE (diatomaceous earth - don't
get the stuff for swimming pools it won't work) will not hurt the dog
(there is a food grade that you can eat).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:09:39 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

Don't know if this will work for you but try DE (diatomaceous earth - don't
get the stuff for swimming pools it won't work) will not hurt the dog
(there is a food grade that you can eat).

Exactly. Pool DE is heated during processing and removes the sharp
edges from the microscopic fossils.

Food grade DE is as it is removed from the ground (washed). It remains
natural, having the sharp edges. It cuts the exoskeleton on ants,
roaches, scorpions, etc.

Once the exoskeleton is pierced / cut they will die from dehydration.

Food grade DE is used in farm animal feed.... promotes healthy
livestock, animals, and pets. Buy diatomaceous earth to eliminate
worms, parasites, fleas, flies, and insects. Buy it at a farm supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2012 3:06 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Specifically, red ants in US MO. They tend to take possession of my back
yard every summer.

I have a jug of Amdro, but I can't just pour it out in the yard for fear
of damage to the (hungry) dog.

So I gotta build a little Amdro dispenser with an opening large enough
for ants, much too small for the dog to penetrate.

Right?

Wrong. Don't need to kill ants outdoors unless they are a
threat....fire ants? Crawling all over dog food outdoors?

Only alternative is to buy an expensive ant trap that is dog-proof.

Right?

Wrong. Got some Amdro? They make stakes which are driven into the
soil. They make a bait for fire ants that is sprinkled lightly around
the mounds, and would seem just about impossible for dogs to eat.

More he
http://www.amdro.com/All-Products/ki...takes/Overview

Thx,
Will

Are there bowls of dog food in the yard? Might as well call it ant food
in that case, since ants just love the meat/fat in dog food. Since ants
are largely beneficial to the environment, and are all over, there isn't
much point in trying to rid the yard of them.

Dogs... Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 0 November 19th 11 11:53 AM
All about DOGS [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 24th 08 06:31 PM
All about DOGS [email protected] UK diy 2 January 18th 08 08:23 PM
Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM