Junior Member

Default water-damaged tile board

recently my landlord installed a new shower in our apartment using tile board for the walls. one of the silicon seals was not quite right, and it seems the bottom edge of one of the boards has soaked up some water, as it is a darker color and slightly raised. i rubbed this area with my thumbnail and the finish flaked off easily, telling me this dark area has definitely been compromised. the rest of the tile is very strong.

i put a heater on the affected area, hoping to draw out the moisture, but it didn't seem to do much. if anything it might look worse? i figure i need to have the spot dry before re-sealing the tile board, but is this the case? also, how can i protect this spot from further damage, now that the hard outer surface has been weakened?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2012 2:17 PM, nickalan wrote:
recently my landlord installed a new shower in our apartment using tile
board for the walls. one of the silicon seals was not quite right, and
it seems the bottom edge of one of the boards has soaked up some water,
as it is a darker color and slightly raised. i rubbed this area with my
thumbnail and the finish flaked off easily, telling me this dark area
has definitely been compromised. the rest of the tile is very strong.

i put a heater on the affected area, hoping to draw out the moisture,
but it didn't seem to do much. if anything it might look worse? i figure
i need to have the spot dry before re-sealing the tile board, but is
this the case? also, how can i protect this spot from further damage,
now that the hard outer surface has been weakened?

tell your landlord to fix it before the wall comes down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"nickalan" wrote in message

recently my landlord installed a new shower in our apartment using tile
board for the walls. one of the silicon seals was not quite right, and
it seems the bottom edge of one of the boards has soaked up some water,
as it is a darker color and slightly raised. i rubbed this area with my
thumbnail and the finish flaked off easily, telling me this dark area
has definitely been compromised. the rest of the tile is very strong.

i put a heater on the affected area, hoping to draw out the moisture,
but it didn't seem to do much. if anything it might look worse? i figure
i need to have the spot dry before re-sealing the tile board, but is
this the case? also, how can i protect this spot from further damage,
now that the hard outer surface has been weakened?

Are you talking about fake tile masonite sheets, they are not intended to be
used in a shower, and are just a cheap crappy way to build a shower. If the
rest of the apartment is built in a similar manner, I would be looking for a
new place as soon as I can get out of the lease.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

--
nickalan

Masonite tile is not permitted in showers in any building code that I
know of. If your community does not have building codes there is no
violation. If you do have building codes and report the violation,
your landlord may cancel your lease...which might be a good thing.
Consider it.

Joe