Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tile over greenboard around a tub

I have googled for this info, but all I can find are articles preaching that
this is completely unaceptable..

Since 1) I have had bathrooms in 5 houses over the last 35 years with
drywall backer and never had a problem..

2) This bathroom is only for a guest area in the basement, and rarely
used...

3) I have already installed the greenboard
4) If this was a main bathroom, now, I would use cement backer board

I need the info as to how best to cut the drywall, and tile to butt up to
the bathtub.

Right now I have overlapped the tub flange about 1/2" with the greenboard,
which leaves about 1/2" gap to the tub surface.
I was thinking of running a bead of silicon to seal the edge of the
greenboard, then tiling over to about 1/8" of the tub,
then calking the gap between the tile and the tub.

Does this sound OK ?
Thanks for any info or experiences

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2012 10:21 AM, Ray wrote:
[...]

edge 1/4 round tile moulding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 12:21*pm, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

Be sure to do the final tiling and/or caulking with the tube filled
with water to settle it as much as possible, unless, the tub is
installed directly on the concrete basement floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote:
[...]

I would say, green board is just moisture resistant. Might be something
better for wet areas. The other thing, there is a backer made from
impenetrable material, like a membrane with notches, if used correctly,
stops any water or moisture from going back to the drywall. Like a plastic
of sort. Not cement. I see it being used on tv.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

It will be fine for light use. Good to leave a gap between greenboard and
tub so water does not wick up. Fill tub b4 caulking. Use thin-set not
mastic. I just did mine with Densamor which has fiberglass instead of
paper covering and a water resistant core so no mould will grow. Much
easier to use than cement board and almost same cost as greenboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:09:21 +0000 (UTC), mark wrote:

It will be fine for light use. Good to leave a gap between greenboard and
tub so water does not wick up. Fill tub b4 caulking. Use thin-set not
mastic. I just did mine with Densamor which has fiberglass instead of
paper covering and a water resistant core so no mould will grow. Much
easier to use than cement board and almost same cost as greenboard.

Hardipanel is easy to use but it is somewhat more expensive. I'd never even
try tiling a wet area without it.