Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dehumidifier "Actual" Reads Incorrectly

I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
Am I probably right, or any ideas?
Thanks.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2012 1:41 PM, frank1492 wrote:
I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
Am I probably right, or any ideas?
Thanks.
Frank

Does it use batteries perchance? just a wild guess. maybe a dirty sensor?

I have a Danby that is similar to capacity to yours and it's humidity
reading never matches the accurate ones. As long as it pulls water out
of the air when I ask it to, that's fine with me.

You won't get things accurate, so keep that in mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does it have a battery? Hmm. Do all the models like this one that
restart after power failures have batteries? Never thought of that but
will look into it.
I will be going away for extended periods so do not want the unit
to run all the time if it doesn't have to, which it might if the
humidistat doesn't work right.
I have noticed differences bewteen the wall unit and the
dehumidifier display but this is a mile off.

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 14:15:41 -0400, Duesenberg wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 15:20:30 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

I will be going away for extended periods so do not want the unit
to run all the time if it doesn't have to, which it might if the
humidistat doesn't work right.
I have noticed differences bewteen the wall unit and the
dehumidifier display but this is a mile off.

Can we ASS-u-me you checked the sensor and air path to it for dust,
bug nests, and buildup?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Take it apart, and clean it. Very often the condensor gets clogged with
dust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"frank1492" wrote in message
I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
Am I probably right, or any ideas?
Thanks.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank,

Went to the LG web site and looked through the manual of the current 65
pint product. It has a 5 yr warranty. Before you give them a call. are you
sure that the display is showing the "actual" RH? The manual does not
mention this feature. It displays the "set point".
I suspect that you need some service. It's not a "humidimeter", it's a
hygrometer.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I knew humidimeter was wrong but couldn't think of the other one...
There are two displays side by side- one shows actual (or what it
thinks is actual), the other shows the set point.
I think service is in order.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 19:15:43 -0400, "Dave M."
wrote:

Frank,

Went to the LG web site and looked through the manual of the current 65
pint product. It has a 5 yr warranty. Before you give them a call. are you
sure that the display is showing the "actual" RH? The manual does not
mention this feature. It displays the "set point".
I suspect that you need some service. It's not a "humidimeter", it's a
hygrometer.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought a clogged condenser would affect cooling properties but I'll
take a look.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:03:15 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Take it apart, and clean it. Very often the condensor gets clogged with
dust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
Am I probably right, or any ideas?
Thanks.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

What was signifigant to me is "runs all the time". Clogged condensor can do
that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

news I thought a clogged condenser would affect cooling properties but I'll

wrote:

Take it apart, and clean it. Very often the condensor gets clogged with
dust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
Am I probably right, or any ideas?
Thanks.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 12:41*pm, frank1492 wrote:
I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
* * So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
* * Am I probably right, or any ideas?
* * Thanks.
* * * * Frank

I don't think dehumidifiers are built to last, does the coil ice up,
maybe dust on coil or low on freon if it doesn't remove the moisture
like before
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 10:13*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jun 4, 12:41*pm, frank1492 wrote:

I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
* * So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
* * Am I probably right, or any ideas?
* * Thanks.
* * * * Frank

I don't think dehumidifiers are built to last, does the coil ice up,
maybe dust on coil or low on freon if it doesn't remove the moisture
like before

Everyone that I know that has experience with these
says the same thing. They only last a few years.
I had a Sears, made by LG. The blower fan burned
out. Bought a replacement fan from Sears and it
lasted one year. Bought another fan and it smoked
as soon as it turned on.

Replaced that one with a GE and it lasted two years.
I did buy the extended warranty on that one, something
I almost never do. But knowing what crap these are
I did. So, just got a brand new Amana to replace the
GE.

To the OP's question, like someone said, is he
sure it even reads the current humidity? Some only
display the setpoint. And some display the temp in
one display, the setpoint and/or current humidity in the
other.

He says it's running, but is it removing any water?
The Sears/LG I had, the blower failed, but with the
compressor running it sounded normal. Is good air
flow coming out?

Finally, there is the mystery of my new Amana. When
set to 55 it maintains about 52 as indicated by both
it's own display and other units. But when I set it to
60, it then maintains 63. Which makes no sense at
all. All in all, these things sure aren't what they used to
be.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

I shut the unit down for about an hour to replace the drain hose
connection. When I restarted, all was fine! I guess there was some
icing. Never encountered that before in all the years I have been
using this dh (since 2008) but the cellar was quite cold when it was
first turned on (which it always is.) Also I have a transparent drain
hose and the dh seemed to be functioning just fine through all this
despite the icing. Also a mystery as to why the icing would have
caused "actual' humidity to read incorrectly high.
More penance I suppose...should have noticed the icing right
away!
(Thanks all for your help!)
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

....unless the ice acted as a moisture source. With no melting tho I'd
wonder. Does stable ice (not melting) create moist air around it?
Anybody out there good at this?

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:39:59 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

I shut the unit down for about an hour to replace the drain hose
connection. When I restarted, all was fine! I guess there was some
icing. Never encountered that before in all the years I have been
using this dh (since 2008) but the cellar was quite cold when it was
first turned on (which it always is.) Also I have a transparent drain
hose and the dh seemed to be functioning just fine through all this
despite the icing. Also a mystery as to why the icing would have
caused "actual' humidity to read incorrectly high.
More penance I suppose...should have noticed the icing right
away!
(Thanks all for your help!)
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

The H20 is going from the air to the ice, so I'd think it reduced the
humidity reading.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"frank1492" wrote in message
....unless the ice acted as a moisture source. With no melting tho I'd
wonder. Does stable ice (not melting) create moist air around it?
Anybody out there good at this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 4:39*pm, frank1492 wrote:
I shut the unit down for about an hour to replace the drain hose
connection. When I restarted, all was fine! I guess there was some
icing. Never encountered that before in all the years I have been
using this dh (since 2008) but the cellar was quite cold when it was
first turned on (which it always is.) Also I have a transparent drain
hose and the dh seemed to be functioning just fine through all this
despite the icing. Also a mystery as to why the icing would have
caused "actual' humidity to read incorrectly high.
* * * More penance I suppose...should have noticed the icing right
away!
* * *(Thanks all for your help!)
* * * * * Frank

It's possibe something is kaput in the de-icing
system. I'd keep an eye on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 4, 1:41*pm, frank1492 wrote:
I have a 4-yr old LG dehumidifier 65 pts. This year when I went to use
it I noticed the "actual" reading was much too high. I know this
because I have another humidimeter on the wall and I know the air was
very dry.
* * So it seems the LG is not reading correctly. Since the humidity
set point looks at the actual for comparison (two side-by-side digital
displays) I fear this unit is cooked. (It does seem to run all the
time now.)
* * Am I probably right, or any ideas?
* * Thanks.
* * * * Frank

I have what I imagine is the same unit. I've noticed that the actual
reading isn't any too accurate. (as compared to a hygrometer in the
same room, calibrated with salt) I never put much thought in it, just
adjusted the set point on the DH until the DH would shut off when the
humidity in the room was about where I wanted it.

It would appear that DH's are not built to high quality standards, at
least that's my experience...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I shut the unit down for about an hour to replace the drain hose
connection. When I restarted, all was fine! I guess there was some
icing. Never encountered that before in all the years I have been
using this dh (since 2008) but the cellar was quite cold when it was
first turned on (which it always is.) Also I have a transparent drain
hose and the dh seemed to be functioning just fine through all this
despite the icing. Also a mystery as to why the icing would have
caused "actual' humidity to read incorrectly high.
More penance I suppose...should have noticed the icing right
away!
(Thanks all for your help!)
Frank

Time for a new dehumdifier. Icing usually indicates low freon (or its
not a low temp dehumdifier) and its usually a sealed unit. At least
mine was, and it lasted about as long as yours before I had to buy a
new one. The new one works great, the old one ices up when running
side by side.

They dont make 'em like they used to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some dehum have a "freeze stat" that turns off the compressor when the coils
start to freeze.

A good refrigeration guy can add freon. Or a freeze stat, or both.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"homer" wrote in message

Time for a new dehumdifier. Icing usually indicates low freon (or its
not a low temp dehumdifier) and its usually a sealed unit. At least
mine was, and it lasted about as long as yours before I had to buy a
new one. The new one works great, the old one ices up when running
side by side.

They dont make 'em like they used to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 5:08*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Some dehum have a "freeze stat" that turns off the compressor when the coils
start to freeze.

A good refrigeration guy can add freon. Or a freeze stat, or both.

The only problem is a new one can be bought for $200.
And if it's leaking freon, then there's a leak somewhere.
Given labor rates, the fact that so many people have
experience that says they only last a few years, etc,
unless it;s something obvious and you can fix it
yourself, it's a losing proposition.

I had the blower fail on a Sears made by LG that was
maybe 4 years old. I bought a new fan for $35 and
put it in. It lasted a year. Foolishly I bought another
fan. That one smoked right after turning it on. And
it's a 120V fan, two speed leads, so no question
it was hooked up right.

After that, I did a bit of googling and found out a lot
of people have had the same experience for many
years with the fan failing. Sad. It shows that Sears
and LG obviously have no quality control system.
I only wish I had done the googling before spending
$70 on replacing fans.

The replacement I took out a 5 year service contract
on it. Normally, I think contracts are a losing proposition.
But given the short life of these things, I would definitely
recommend considering it. Two years in and the GE
went kaput. Took it back to the retailer and got a brand
new Amana for $30, since it was covered. I would not
be surprised to see that go too before the original
5 years is up.