Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good news for a change (housing)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a26c7a804cd670

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 3:37*pm, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed..

Who the hell cares about your mortgage and wtf does any
of that have to do with home repair?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 3:40*pm, "
wrote:
On May 22, 3:37*pm, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Who the hell cares about your mortgage and wtf does any
of that have to do with home repair?

this topic effects EVERYONE, owners, buyers, and even renters......

since thats the case its on topic here.

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2012 4:46 PM, bob haller wrote:
On May 22, 3:40 pm,
wrote:
On May 22, 3:37 pm, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...
Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Who the hell cares about your mortgage and wtf does any
of that have to do with home repair?

this topic effects EVERYONE, owners, buyers, and even renters......

since thats the case its on topic here.

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

LOL.

has a stick in his/her butt.

Yeah. I'd say historic low mortgage rates should be OT for just about any homeowner, especially these days. Unless your credit rating is in the toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'd say on topic for a group like this. Housing market is important and
resales are still only half the rate they should be. It even effects
home repair since construction workers are idle and you can get good
work done at low cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

work done at low cost.- Hide quoted text -

Sure, by that theory it's going to be nice weather here in
NJ tomorrow. That has about as much to do with home
repair. Idiots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:46:09 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 22, 3:40*pm, "
wrote:
On May 22, 3:37*pm, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Who the hell cares about your mortgage and wtf does any
of that have to do with home repair?

this topic effects EVERYONE, owners, buyers, and even renters......

since thats the case its on topic here.

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

Are you a landlord? What qualifications give you the right to make
such statement?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

Are you a landlord? What qualifications give you the right to make
such statement?

... crickets

LOL.... that was a good one :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

Are you a landlord? What qualifications give you the right to make
such statement?

... crickets

I should add that I guess I take it a little personal because I keep
hearing stories like this on tv but you never hear the other side of
things. I am a landlord and mortgagee and I think I go outa my way
to be fair or more than fair. I never had any reporter ask me
questions about my situations so I guess they don't want to report the
other side of the story(ies). I guess tho I should be less critical
because we like to think tv is unbias in reporting their stories but
that's just not true. It's all about the ratings (viewership) nothing
more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

Are you a landlord? *What qualifications give you the right to make
such statement?

I was a landlord, actually enjoyed it. But I took care of my
property..

which appears unusual around here
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 4:30*am, "Doug" wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:46:09 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 22, 3:40*pm, "
wrote:
On May 22, 3:37*pm, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be....

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Who the hell cares about your mortgage and wtf does any
of that have to do with home repair?

this topic effects EVERYONE, owners, buyers, and even renters......

since thats the case its on topic here.

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

Are you a landlord? *What qualifications give you the right to make
such statement?- Hide quoted text -

I think you'll find it's the tenants take poor care of the homes. The
landlords just give up after a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 1:37*am, harry wrote:
On May 23, 4:30*am, "Doug" wrote:

On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:46:09 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 22, 3:40*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

well just the other day i stopped at a garage sale. bought a bunch of
stuff.

I mentioned to the seller their front sidewalk was a serious trip
hazard..... very uneven.....

she repled we just rent the landlord was told about it but does
nothing.

clearly its not the tenants responsiblity to replace the sidewalk??

a close by home is rented too... the tree had died and the very
obvious large dead tree could flatten my 16 by 20 foot shed, if it
fell another way other people could lose a shed fence etc.

I clled the owner who yelled at me......

i said if the obvious hazard isnt removed and falls and does damage no
problem. I will contact your insurance company and let them know you
were informed and did nothing....

at that point you will have to pay all damages and likely get your
insurance raised a lot or cancelled

clearly there are bad tenants but many bad landlords too.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 5:46*pm, bob haller wrote:
On May 22, 3:40*pm, "
wrote:

On May 22, 3:37*pm, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be....

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Who the hell cares about your mortgage and wtf does any
of that have to do with home repair?

this topic effects EVERYONE, owners, buyers, and even renters......

since thats the case its on topic here.

And it has what to do with home repair questions?

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

And that has what to do with home repair questions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 22, 3:37*pm, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Who the hell cares about your mortgage and wtf does any
of that have to do with home repair?

this topic effects EVERYONE, owners, buyers, and even renters......

since thats the case its on topic here.

And it has what to do with home repair questions?

and too many non owner occupied homes is bad news for any community.
most landlords take very poor care of their homes

And that has what to do with home repair questions?

Beats me but we seem to have a lot of OT around here.
Well I won't defend them but at least they're not spamming the
newsgroup so I can live with their OT.

If it bothers you that much, take a break... relax !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

And that has what to do with home repair questions?

Beats me but we seem to have a lot of OT around here.

too many poorly maintained homes in any neighborhood tend to drop home
values for everyone...

espically exterior maintence.

hey our rental home needs new windows, that will cost 5 grand.

instead of that lets go on a cruise?

see what i mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it bothers you that much, take a break... relax !!!- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it's definitely not the worst OT topic thing that's
been posted and I over reacted.
But the other part that annoyed me was
that it's not like it's some really great news on housing.
It's just a tiny blip upward. If you look at a 10 chart, we're
still near the bottom, still going sideways and this
isn't anything so significant that indicates anything.
The worst has been over and it will still take a long
time to recover.

Also, does anyone really think mortgage rates taking
another slight tick downward is suddenly going to
result in people running out to buy homes? They've
been very close to rock bottom for years now. Like a
rate of 3.85 is going to do something that a rate of
3.99 didn't? If anything, the prospect of them going
UP would do more to get people to go out and buy.

If folks think this is good news, then they must be
also happy when the temperature outside goes from
70 to 71.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:37:47 -0500, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a26c7a804cd670

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

You can. Pay cash !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a26c7a804cd670

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Hmm,
You must be pretty young fella. My mortgage paying days are LONG gone.
Wish I were young again with mortgage to pay....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2012 12:19 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

gonjah wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a26c7a804cd670

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't
closed.

Hmm,
You must be pretty young fella. My mortgage paying days are LONG gone.
Wish I were young again with mortgage to pay....

Good for you grandpa.

Many people don't stay in one house or one mortgage. Personally, I've
bought three houses, sold 2, and refinanced at 3 times. Just because
you're paying a mortgage doesn't mean you don't have equity. I could own
my old house in ABQ, which appraises at less than half of my current house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a26c7a804cd670

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't
closed.

Hmm,
You must be pretty young fella. My mortgage paying days are LONG gone.
Wish I were young again with mortgage to pay....

Good for you grandpa.

Many people don't stay in one house or one mortgage. Personally, I've
bought three houses, sold 2, and refinanced at 3 times. Just because
you're paying a mortgage doesn't mean you don't have equity. I could own
my old house in ABQ, which appraises at less than half of my current house.

Not sure I was old or not by today's standards but I was in my young
40s when my mortgage days were gone. Actually I might have been able
to do it in my late 30s at my CPA wife's urging but I didn't feel
comfortable with little in the bank account so I waited. She still
thinks she was right but it's a moot point now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2012 7:42 AM, Doug wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2012 00:40:09 -0500, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

Not sure I was old or not by today's standards but I was in my young
40s when my mortgage days were gone. Actually I might have been able
to do it in my late 30s at my CPA wife's urging but I didn't feel
comfortable with little in the bank account so I waited. She still
thinks she was right but it's a moot point now.

I dunno about anyone else but around here quality "full day" day care
will be costing a wee bit more a month than our mortgage payments.

So for our family, we will make the minimum mortgage payments, then ramp
up once the kiddies enter school.

It's just one take on mortgage payments but it's easy to make that
decision with rates still so damn low.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In the long run, it may be better to raise your own kids, even if it means
taking one parent out of the work world. No ammount of money is worth
having kids with separation anxiety, and mental problems.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

I dunno about anyone else but around here quality "full day" day care
will be costing a wee bit more a month than our mortgage payments.

So for our family, we will make the minimum mortgage payments, then ramp
up once the kiddies enter school.

It's just one take on mortgage payments but it's easy to make that
decision with rates still so damn low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2012 9:08 AM, Duesenberg wrote:
On 5/23/2012 7:42 AM, Doug wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2012 00:40:09 -0500, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

Not sure I was old or not by today's standards but I was in my young
40s when my mortgage days were gone. Actually I might have been able
to do it in my late 30s at my CPA wife's urging but I didn't feel
comfortable with little in the bank account so I waited. She still
thinks she was right but it's a moot point now.

I dunno about anyone else but around here quality "full day" day care
will be costing a wee bit more a month than our mortgage payments.

So for our family, we will make the minimum mortgage payments, then ramp
up once the kiddies enter school.

It's just one take on mortgage payments but it's easy to make that
decision with rates still so damn low.

My kids got more expensive as they got older.
With 2 kids in college at the same time, I was lucky to contribute the
minimum to my 401k and with three sons, there was at least one in
college over a 10 year period.

On housing, I considered myself lucky. First house was 5% mortgage at
20% down. Second house was in those inflationary days of the seventies
so I was stuck with a 20 year mortgage at 9% so I put 50% down and paid
it off in maybe 18 years.

Never believed in refinancing and I know people that lost their shirts
in taking the money and investing and losing it to end up owning a house
worth much less than they owed due the current housing crisis.

The housing market may not recover for another 10 years. It is a buyers
market.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:
[...]

I'm more of the accountant here and I can't come close to a payoff. I
wish my wife had the financial sense yours does. We could be well on our
way to that type of independence. It's just not important to her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:
[...]

Well, we were pretty thrifty then considering our salaries. I still
think we live modest tho not as much as then but we had good reason
then... 2 daughters in day care and who eventually went to college.

Try to teach your wife the importance of your later years. I can tell
you that you won't believe how important it is when you retire and
have no job and that's assuming you're still in good health. SS
benefits aren't enough, in my opinion, to live comfortable. I speak
from experience because my wife and I are about to retire and I wrote
up a detailed spreadsheet on our income and expenses (based on actual
banking not my guesses) and I have a good picture of what it will take
for us to live the same lifestyle including paying for our health
insurance. Personally speaking, the spreadsheet took me a long time
to write because I had to read a lot of banking statements, etc.. but
once I had it written, it has saved me a lot of time with questions
that arose later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 6:19*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
gonjah wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Hmm,
You must be pretty young fella. My mortgage paying days are LONG gone.
Wish I were young again with mortgage to pay....

I have never had a mortgage. (What are they?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On May 23, 6:19 am, Tony wrote:
gonjah wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Hmm,
You must be pretty young fella. My mortgage paying days are LONG gone.
Wish I were young again with mortgage to pay....

I have never had a mortgage. (What are they?)

Hi,
aking more money with borrowed money?
Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...CxoAxt9hjM_-Be...

Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in
rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now.
BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed. Closing on Friday.
I'm looking to see if I can get an even lower rate since I haven't closed.

Hmm,
You must be pretty young fella. My mortgage paying days are LONG gone.
Wish I were young again with mortgage to pay....

I have never had a mortgage. (What are they?)

Always rented grin ???