Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where did the fan go? How high is the roof?

Where did the fan go? How high is the roof?

A friend had two layers of roof removed and a new roof put on,
House was built about 1969, and had the second roof put on about 1990.

From the outside of her house, she could no longer see her roof fan!,
so she called the company (one she has used before with great
satisfaction) and someone came out with a ladder, went up and took a
cell phone picture of the fan.

He told her that it was lower than it used to be because two roofs had
been removed.

(Now I couldn't see the south side of my roof, and by the time I put a
new roof on, it had curled (the north side which I could see still
looked fine) ). But I thought a second roof would only be about an
inch thick. An overlapping layer of tar paper and the overlapping
layers of 3-tab shingles. No more than an inch?

My friend is under the impression that a new roof includes a new layer
of plywood, in addition to the original plywood. Of coure I figure I
know more about home repair than any female (except Norminn) so is my
record still perfect?

And furthermore, why would adding a second roof raise the fan. The
roof would go on over the fan's flashing. (I think the fan was
installed when only the original roof was on, but does it make any
difference?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 11:35*pm, micky wrote:
Where did the fan go? How high is the roof?

A friend had two layers of roof removed and a new roof put on,
House was built about 1969, and had the second roof put on about 1990.

From the outside of her house, she could no longer see her roof fan!,
so she called the company (one she has used before with great
satisfaction) and someone came out with a ladder, went up and took a
cell phone picture of the fan.

He told her that it was lower than it used to be because two roofs had
been removed.

(Now I couldn't see the south side of my roof, and by the time I put a
new roof on, it had curled (the north side which I could see still
looked fine) ). * *But I thought a second roof would only be about an
inch thick. *An overlapping layer of tar paper and the overlapping
layers of 3-tab shingles. * No more than an inch?

An inch? No way it would be anywhere near that thick
with typical shingles.

My friend is under the impression that a new roof includes a new layer
of plywood, in addition to the original plywood. * Of coure I figure I
know more about home repair than any female (except Norminn) so is my
record still perfect?

Yes, because obviously there is no additional wood.
They might put in some sheets after removing rotted
decking, if necessary. But on top, never.

And furthermore, why would adding a second roof raise the fan. *The
roof would go on over the fan's flashing. *(I think the fan was
installed when only the original roof was on, but does it make any
difference?)

I think someon is blowing smoke here and it ain't the
fan. If the fan was there and visible before it should
be there and visible now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 May 2012 20:48:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 14, 11:35*pm, micky wrote:
Where did the fan go? How high is the roof?

A friend had two layers of roof removed and a new roof put on,
House was built about 1969, and had the second roof put on about 1990.

From the outside of her house, she could no longer see her roof fan!,
so she called the company (one she has used before with great
satisfaction) and someone came out with a ladder, went up and took a
cell phone picture of the fan.

He told her that it was lower than it used to be because two roofs had
been removed.

(Now I couldn't see the south side of my roof, and by the time I put a
new roof on, it had curled (the north side which I could see still
looked fine) ). * *But I thought a second roof would only be about an
inch thick. *An overlapping layer of tar paper and the overlapping
layers of 3-tab shingles. * No more than an inch?

An inch? No way it would be anywhere near that thick
with typical shingles.

So the story makes no sense at all.

My friend is under the impression that a new roof includes a new layer
of plywood, in addition to the original plywood. * Of coure I figure I
know more about home repair than any female (except Norminn) so is my
record still perfect?

Yes, because obviously there is no additional wood.
They might put in some sheets after removing rotted
decking, if necessary. But on top, never.

That's what I thought.

And furthermore, why would adding a second roof raise the fan. *The
roof would go on over the fan's flashing. *(I think the fan was
installed when only the original roof was on, but does it make any
difference?)

I think someon is blowing smoke here and it ain't the
fan. If the fan was there and visible before it should
be there and visible now.

That's what I t hought. And she didn't just make up the idea she
could see it. It had probably been there for 40+ years.

OTOH, why would they possibey remove it. Her roof was only curling
in a couple places and wasnt' leaking and even if they had to replace
plywood, they could have just avoided the fan.

So I couldn't help wondering if he just kept a picture of a roof fan
in his cell phone for an occasion like this.

I may have recently dealt with a roof guy who kept a picture of a roof
vent cone with a rotting rubber grommet.

I have a townhouse and recently my next door neighbor hired someone to
come while she was at work, clean her gutters iirc, and look from the
outside for a leak. He told me he was going to put a big rubber or
neoprene "grommet" on the vent pipes from her plumbing. Our two
houses each gotten a new roof at the same time, 8 years ago (before
she bought the house), and I know the roofer put new metal cones with
new rubber grommets on at that time, on all four vents that the two
houses have.

But by now I was fatter** than ever and afraid to go up the ladder.
He went up and took a picture of my cone, showing that I needed a the
rubber part. Except the flashing and shingles it didn't look like I
remembered it. He had offered it seemed to do it for free, but I'm
sure he wasn't surprised when I gave him 30 dollars iirc. I gave him
the money at the same time I was wondering if the picture in his cell
phone came from somewhere else and he used it all the time to get
another 20 or 30 dollars.

**I've lost 18 pounds, and expect to lose a lot more this time
(because being as fat as I was really scared me) and I'll be up on
that roof as soon as I feel safe, to see if he really put another
rubber thing over the first one.

My friend has a son-in-law who is far handier and more energetic than
I am, and he's over there often. . I think once he heard this story
he would have been up on the roof looking. And her second floor will
be a lot hotter this year, at least when the AC is off, if the fan is
gone or even disconnected. He was a friend before she was. I'll
comment on the roof or the fan without suggesttng anything is wrong.

BTW, I have a roof fan too, for 29 years, and the motors last from 3
to 16 years. Even motors from the same source vary greatly in how
long they last. It's very strange. But it only takes an hour or less
to change the motor, from the inside of the attic.

**One time I left my car at a garage for a new exhaust system. He
called me at work and told me what he was replacing and what it would
cost, but when I got there, it had no resonator. He hadn't given a
price for a new resonator, but I hadn't noticed. And he didn't charge
me, but I would paid for one. He said it didn't matter, and I said
they woudn't have put one in the car if it didn't do anythin. He
said maybe it was in the trash, but it wasn't. They were the only
real garage in walking distance of my house, but after they made two
more mistakes I stopped going there.

I'm thining somehow she has a missing fan like I had a missing
resonator.

I think I'll go to google maps and look at her roof. I wish they
would give the date each picture was taken. Maybe some other
satellite program does that? It just says "Imagery © 2012 U S
Geological Suvery, Map data © 2012 Google". and the roof is too
dirty and rusty in a couple places for this to be a picture of the new
roof.

Well google shows....a little white circle maybe 1.5 mm in diameter,
just past the crest of the roof when starting at the front, in the
middle left to right, just where I would put the fan.

But I can't see it from street view, which actually *does* have a
date, Image Date, August 2009. That's before she got the new roof.
Of course the picture is taken from the street in front of the house
and maybe she walks farrther away. The google camera on the roof of
the car, or maybe it's an SUV, so it's a little lower or higher than
her eyes.

Hmmm. Because her house is on the corrner, I was able to back up twice
and then 3 times as far as before, and I still don't see the fan. So
maybe she could never see it from the front (but otoh, from the back
one can't get far away, and it's a 2-story house with pitched roof) .
It also shows dirty areas on the roof, so I can go look at the roof
now and see if it has the same dirty areas, but they are too grey or
too much rust at the base of the chimney to have happened in only 3
years. .