DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/339931-pool-jandy-valve-there-way-repair-especially-crowded.html)

Arklin K. May 6th 12 11:52 AM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

Drained my pool to clean it up and may as well fix a long-time leak in a
Jandy valve that is very hard to get to.

Here's a picture of the pumps with the dozen Jandy valves scattered about:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198286.jpg

And, here's the problem Jandy valve:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198320.jpg

Looking at how extremely tightly packed the pipes and valves are, I
wonder if anyone can repair anything on a pool. Do they normally pack
them in this tightly (there was plenty of room to spread it out!)

How can I fix this?

Oren[_2_] May 6th 12 03:05 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Sun, 6 May 2012 10:52:55 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

Drained my pool to clean it up and may as well fix a long-time leak in a
Jandy valve that is very hard to get to.

Here's a picture of the pumps with the dozen Jandy valves scattered about:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198286.jpg

And, here's the problem Jandy valve:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198320.jpg

Looking at how extremely tightly packed the pipes and valves are, I
wonder if anyone can repair anything on a pool. Do they normally pack
them in this tightly (there was plenty of room to spread it out!)

How can I fix this?

Put a tic mark on the housing so you know how to re-install the parts
again. Generally, the only repairs are just replacing the O-rings (3)
and lube them. If the housing is cracked then you would need to
replace.

A local pool supply will have a small package of O-rings.

[email protected][_2_] May 6th 12 04:16 PM

wrote:
Drained my pool to clean it up and may as well fix a long-time leak in a
Jandy valve that is very hard to get to.

Here's a picture of the pumps with the dozen Jandy valves scattered about:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198286.jpg

And, here's the problem Jandy valve:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198320.jpg

Looking at how extremely tightly packed the pipes and valves are, I
wonder if anyone can repair anything on a pool. Do they normally pack
them in this tightly (there was plenty of room to spread it out!)

How can I fix this?

Put a tic mark on the housing so you know how to re-install the parts
again. *Generally, the only repairs are just replacing the O-rings (3)
and lube them. *If the housing is cracked then you would need to
replace.

A local pool supply will have a small package of O-rings.

What is missing is what's wrong with the valve. If
a seal is leaking, then per the above you can take it
apart and rebuild it. If it's cracked from freezing, then
it's kaput.

gonjah May 6th 12 04:19 PM

On 5/6/2012 5:52 AM, Arklin K. wrote:
Drained my pool to clean it up and may as well fix a long-time leak in a
Jandy valve that is very hard to get to.

Here's a picture of the pumps with the dozen Jandy valves scattered about:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198286.jpg

And, here's the problem Jandy valve:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8198320.jpg

Looking at how extremely tightly packed the pipes and valves are, I
wonder if anyone can repair anything on a pool. Do they normally pack
them in this tightly (there was plenty of room to spread it out!)

How can I fix this?

The screws on the cover come off and they are pretty easy to fix.

http://redsquarepools.files.wordpres...arts.gif?w=560

This one may not be the right one but just do a image search for the
right one: "jandy valve blow up". I think they are all basically the
same. The pool store should have all the parts.

Yeah, that is tight. One think I noticed it the exposure. I'd build a
*well ventilated* covering for it. The sun and elements are going to
cost you down the road. Don't build anything tight around the heater
though. I'd make a small shed like structure. Or a "lean-to".

gonjah May 6th 12 04:21 PM

On 5/6/2012 10:19 AM, gonjah wrote:
[...]

"One *thing* I noticed *is* the...."

Must drink coffee.......

Arklin K. May 6th 12 09:28 PM

On Sun, 06 May 2012 08:16:02 -0700, wrote:

What is missing is what's wrong with the valve. If a seal is leaking,
then per the above you can take it apart and rebuild it. If it's
cracked from freezing, then it's kaput.

I don't know yet what's wrong other than it's leaking.
The 'reason' it started leaking is a mistake of mine. I turned the pool
on, after the winter shutdown, and I FORGOT to turn all the valves on.

So, the cleaner pump was pushing water into this valve overnight until it
finally overheated the pipes and blew a geyser 20 feet into the air.

I replaced the pump and the pipes - but I didn't notice the Jandy valve
(which is the return to the pool) leaking until I powered it all up again.

So, I see I'm looking for one of two problems:
1. Hopefully the housing has not cracked - because not only will I need
to replace the entire valve - but it's almost impossible to even get my
hand in there to do any work so it will be a bear!

2. Hopefully just a gasket has blown. In that case, I still will have a
bear of a time opening it up (screws on top) because it's so inaccessible
(why they build pools this way confounds me) ...

Thanks for the advice. I hope it's just an o-ring!

I also hope I can fine a replacement o-ring!

Arklin K. May 6th 12 09:31 PM

On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:19:29 -0500, gonjah wrote:

The screws on the cover come off and they are pretty easy to fix.
http://redsquarepools.files.wordpres...arts.gif?w=560

Wow. The nice thing about your response is it give me courage to TRY to
open it up to see what's inside.

I have a spare (taken from the dumpster at a pool store yesterday that I
will experiment on first as it can be opened up on my desktop. I might
even be able to re-use parts if I can't get them at the store - but the
housing is useless since it's already cemented into the pipes which were
cut off when it was thrown away).

Arklin K. May 6th 12 09:34 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especiallycrowded)

On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:21:54 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Yeah, that is tight. One thing I noticed it the exposure. I'd build a
*well ventilated* covering for it. The sun and elements are going to
cost you down the road. Don't build anything tight around the heater
though. I'd make a small shed like structure. Or a "lean-to".

Yeah. Not only are the dozen valves, dozen pipes and three motors, one
filter and one heater plus solar all jammed together, but many of the
valves are less than an inch from each other ... so close that I have to
constantly remove the jandy handles just to turn them on or off.

Who builds pools this way? (Answer: Lifetime pools ... so I should yell
at them ... but I was just wondering if this was typical).

I mean they had PLENTY of room! They did not have to jam it all in there.
The pipes can only be accessed from the direction of all the equipment
because there is a retaining wall an inch behind them. I mean couldn't
they have put the pipes a foot away from the retaining wall? Jeezus.

It drives me crazy every time I have to do anything around these things.

Oh well, I guess it makes the lean-to enclosure smaller! :)

gonjah May 6th 12 09:46 PM

On 5/6/2012 3:34 PM, Arklin K. wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but you don't want to make it even more difficult to get to.

The good thing is it looks like fairly new equipment. My pool equipment
is from the early 80's and everything but the sand filter, pipes and the
valve housings have been replaced. Now it needs to be re-plastered.
Pools can be real money pits.

Oren[_2_] May 7th 12 01:25 AM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Sun, 6 May 2012 20:34:21 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

Yeah. Not only are the dozen valves, dozen pipes and three motors, one
filter and one heater plus solar all jammed together, but many of the
valves are less than an inch from each other ... so close that I have to
constantly remove the jandy handles just to turn them on or off.

Cut it all out, start over in routing the pipes. Sorry. You have a
real mess there.

Arklin K. May 7th 12 04:47 AM

On Sun, 06 May 2012 17:25:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

Cut it all out, start over in routing the pipes. Sorry. You have a real
mess there.

Hi Oren,
You're always helpful so I trust your opinion.

It 'is' a real mess! This picture shows how hard it is to get to:
http://picturepush.com/public/8204309

Today, it took about an hour just to get the screws off the top.

I first took apart a junk Jandy valve to see what's inside. It's pretty
simple. It has only six parts.

1) The lock nut
2) The handle
3) The cover plate
4) The cover-plate o-ring
5) The swinging gate
6) The body

Here's a picture of the junk Jandy valve taken apart:
http://picturepush.com/public/8204300

Then I took apart my Jandy valve in situ. It was a bear. This photo shows
that I think the housing is cracked!
http://picturepush.com/public/8204335

There is only about an inch between the bottom of the Jandy valve and the
ground level. It's a very tight fit, even if I dig.

If I slice the Jandy valve off at the bottom, how much pipe do I need to
hook another pipe to it so that I can then hook a new Jandy valve to that
new pipe?

Oren[_2_] May 7th 12 04:20 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Mon, 7 May 2012 03:47:10 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

On Sun, 06 May 2012 17:25:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

Cut it all out, start over in routing the pipes. Sorry. You have a real
mess there.

Hi Oren,
You're always helpful so I trust your opinion.

It 'is' a real mess! This picture shows how hard it is to get to:
http://picturepush.com/public/8204309

Today, it took about an hour just to get the screws off the top.

I first took apart a junk Jandy valve to see what's inside. It's pretty
simple. It has only six parts.

1) The lock nut
2) The handle
3) The cover plate
4) The cover-plate o-ring
5) The swinging gate

(Called a diffuser) Mine has two smaller O-rings. One on each end of
the diffuser. Look in the housing body for the possibility of the
other ring. About the size of nickel

6) The body

Here's a picture of the junk Jandy valve taken apart:
http://picturepush.com/public/8204300

Then I took apart my Jandy valve in situ. It was a bear. This photo shows
that I think the housing is cracked!
http://picturepush.com/public/8204335

You can try epoxy. I've not used it much but expect it will fix the
crack.

There is only about an inch between the bottom of the Jandy valve and the
ground level. It's a very tight fit, even if I dig.

If I slice the Jandy valve off at the bottom, how much pipe do I need to
hook another pipe to it so that I can then hook a new Jandy valve to that
new pipe?

Douno about the amount of pipe needed. Being in a tight spot, I would
consider using a couple of fernco couplings... in the proper size.

Pic:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/Fernco-P1056-44-rw-165945-243982.jpg

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/Fernco-P300-215-rw-249079-351688.jpg

[email protected][_2_] May 7th 12 04:36 PM

wrote:
[...]

The depth of the socket on any of these fittings is
about 1.5". If you had to, you could get away with
the pipe not fully seating. If you got 1" inside it that
should be enough to hold it. The pressures are
only 20psi or so, and being outside, the consequences
of failure probably aren't that great.

Douno about the amount of pipe needed. *Being in a tight spot, I would
consider using a couple of fernco couplings... in the proper size.

Aren't Ferncos only rated for waste system use,
ie not pressure rated? Still if nothing else works and
since it's a pool might be OK. But if he can get
the Fernco in there I would think he could also get
a PVC repair coupling in.

For OP, for repairs like this a repair coupling is
often key. It's like a regular PVC coupling,
except a regular coupling has a ridge inside at
the midpoint. That serves as a stop of the two
pieces of pipe where they meet. With a repair
coupling there is no stop so you can slide it all
the way onto a piece of pipe, butt another piece
up to it, then slide it back over where they meet.

Oren[_2_] May 7th 12 05:36 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

wrote:
[...]

A PVC Union - slip x slip ?

In to proper size.

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/PVC-Pipe-Union---2-Slip__I897020.aspx

Oren[_2_] May 7th 12 09:23 PM

wrote:

It 'is' a real mess! This picture shows how hard it is to get to:
http://picturepush.com/public/8204309

Today, it took about an hour just to get the screws off the top.

There are flexible tools that hold even longer screwdriver bits. Use
a shorter of longer screwdriver? Cordless drill gets all screws out in
a ~11 seconds :-\

Oren[_2_] May 7th 12 10:55 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Mon, 07 May 2012 14:59:54 -0500, gonjah gonjah.net wrote:

You'd have to redesign the pool plumbing too.

Are you sure....

He's got three pumps but no Polaris pump and can't vacuum.

I think I can see 7 Jandy valves. ???? I have a total of 2 for my
pool and spa. One for the suction and one for return.

Given the mess I see, I would move vertical, built a manifold of some
kind. All valves at belly-button level. My back hurts just looking at
bending over to work on this unit.

Arklin K. May 8th 12 12:49 AM

On Mon, 07 May 2012 13:23:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

There are flexible tools that hold even longer screwdriver bits.

Interesting. Yes, a flexible shaft would have been perfect because I
couldn't get a straight shot on most of the screws and there is a pipe
right in front (less than the length of a stubby screwdriver) of the Jandy
valves!

Vic Smith May 8th 12 01:16 AM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Mon, 7 May 2012 23:49:50 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2012 13:23:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

There are flexible tools that hold even longer screwdriver bits.

Interesting. Yes, a flexible shaft would have been perfect because I
couldn't get a straight shot on most of the screws and there is a pipe
right in front (less than the length of a stubby screwdriver) of the Jandy
valves!

Get an offset screwdriver. Ratcheting. Should be in your toolbox.
Here's some examples
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-offse...p-00904116000P

--
Vic

Arklin K. May 8th 12 04:49 AM

On Mon, 07 May 2012 14:59:54 -0500, gonjah wrote:
I think I can see 7 Jandy valves. ???? I have a total of 2 for my
pool and spa. One for the suction and one for return.

I just went out and counted 20 valves, in toto, although 2 were
electrical Compool CVA-24 valves and 1 was unused (the pipe is capped off
for a vacuum that isn't installed) and 1 had no diverter as it just had a
clear viewing window.

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211413.jpg

I looked some more and the one that's leaking is definitely cracked!
I'm not sure if epoxy would work so I'm going to, sadly, replace it.

Here's a closeup of the inch-long crack necessitating the repair:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211478.jpg

Arklin K. May 8th 12 04:56 AM

On Mon, 07 May 2012 14:55:30 -0700, Oren wrote:

Given the mess I see, I would move vertical, built a manifold of some
kind. All valves at belly-button level. My back hurts just looking at
bending over to work on this unit.

I think I'll take you up on this offer!

It's a mess!

Is there any downside by bringing the pipes up higher than they are (they
are at knee level or below but I'd love them at belly button level).

Given this is the setup:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211495.jpg

I'm thinking of coming up out of the ground, bending (because I have to)
to get past the pipe directly above - and then once I bend, I can go
straight up to bellow level where I can loop over to the pump.

Is there any problem going to belly level (head?)?

Arklin K. May 8th 12 02:14 PM

On Mon, 07 May 2012 19:16:57 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Get an offset screwdriver. Ratcheting. Should be in your toolbox.
Here's some examples

I see. Thanks. I generally don't go for the new-fangled tools, assuming
they're all junk compared to the old-style stuff (have they really
invented a 'new tool') but this one would have come in handy when I was
unscrewing in a tight space!

But usually, I find the new-fangled tools a bit too thick, a bit too
wide, a bit too flimsy, and a not robust enough - compared to the basic
tools.

[email protected][_2_] May 8th 12 02:40 PM

On May 7, 11:56*pm, "Arklin K." wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2012 14:55:30 -0700, Oren wrote:
Given the mess I see, I would move vertical, built a manifold of some
kind. All valves at belly-button level. My back hurts just looking at
bending over to work on this unit.

I think I'll take you up on this offer!

It's a mess!

Is there any downside by bringing the pipes up higher than they are (they
are at knee level or below but I'd love them at belly button level).

Given this is the setup:http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211495.jpg

I'm thinking of coming up out of the ground, bending (because I have to)
to get past the pipe directly above - and then once I bend, I can go
straight up to bellow level where I can loop over to the pump.

Is there any problem going to belly level (head?)?

If there is a section that you could do naturally as part of
the valve replacement to give yourself some more
room so it's easier to fix, I'd do that. But I wouldn't
raise it up and fix
what is not broken. I agree the design there isn't great.
But other than the leak it apparently works. To redo the
whole thing because you don't like the way it looks, IMO
is nuts. As for raising everything up to 4 ft for
convenience, there are some things you want to watch
out for. If you take the suction line up instead of
having it go downhill to the pool, the pump may become
difficult or impossible to prime.

And I don't know about you, but I seldom need to
fiddle with the valves on the pipes, mainly during
winterization. The valve I do use the most is the
valve on the filter that selects backwashing. But
that mates to the bottom of the filter tank and
I'm not even sure you cold move it if you want.
And where it is doesn't seem a problem to use
at all.

[email protected][_2_] May 8th 12 02:44 PM

On May 7, 11:49*pm, "Arklin K." wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2012 14:59:54 -0500, gonjah wrote:
I think I can see 7 Jandy valves. ???? *I have a total of 2 for my
pool and spa. One for the suction and one for return.

I just went out and counted 20 valves, in toto, although 2 were
electrical Compool CVA-24 valves and 1 was unused (the pipe is capped off
for a vacuum that isn't installed) and 1 had no diverter as it just had a
clear viewing window.

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211413.jpg

I looked some more and the one that's leaking is definitely cracked!
I'm not sure if epoxy would work so I'm going to, sadly, replace it.

Here's a closeup of the inch-long crack necessitating the repair:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211478.jpg

Maybe it's a crazy idea. But you have nothing to lose.
I wonder what would happen if you took a propane
torch to the outside of the valve at the crack and tried
to melt it? If you got the flame right on it, it's possible
the outside would melt enough to seal it before the
rest of it deformed from the heat. If I were going
to try that, I'd have the valve assembled and full
of water. And a small tip torch would probably work
best.

Vic Smith May 8th 12 04:17 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Tue, 8 May 2012 13:14:27 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

On Mon, 07 May 2012 19:16:57 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

Get an offset screwdriver. Ratcheting. Should be in your toolbox.
Here's some examples

I see. Thanks. I generally don't go for the new-fangled tools, assuming
they're all junk compared to the old-style stuff (have they really
invented a 'new tool') but this one would have come in handy when I was
unscrewing in a tight space!

Those are "old" tools. I bought one almost 40 years ago and used if
often enough. That one was one-piece, ratcheting, just for slotted
screws When you need it, you're glad you have it.
I don't have any now, including the ones I linked to.
Haven't missed them, but I hardly do anything any more.
Most stuff is engineered now to not require an offset screwdriver on a
fastener.

But usually, I find the new-fangled tools a bit too thick, a bit too
wide, a bit too flimsy, and a not robust enough - compared to the basic
tools.

"Special" tools are kind of always in there own category in those
terms. But I hear you about the thickness. Those multi-bit offsets
wouldn't get on some of the screws I used my old one on. It could get
into a space half the height the new ones can.
Something like the offsets here, but a little thicker.
http://www.fine-tools.com/schr1.htm

But mine was a Craftsman, and cheap to buy.
Looks like they don't sell them anymore.
Just like nailspinners.

--
Vic

gonjah[_2_] May 8th 12 04:57 PM

On 5/8/2012 8:44 AM, wrote:
On May 7, 11:49 pm, "Arklin wrote:
[...]

That does sound crazy.

I'd try Plast-Aid first.

http://images.spadepot.com/shop/imag...og/mt1044f.jpg

Oren[_2_] May 8th 12 05:40 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Tue, 8 May 2012 03:49:36 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

I just went out and counted 20 valves, in toto, although 2 were
electrical Compool CVA-24 valves and 1 was unused (the pipe is capped off
for a vacuum that isn't installed) and 1 had no diverter as it just had a
clear viewing window.

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211413.jpg

I withdraw my idea of going vertical. What you have there is a Jandy
Valve Farm. A real national treasure :-\

gonjah[_2_] May 8th 12 05:46 PM

wrote:

I just went out and counted 20 valves, in toto, although 2 were
electrical Compool CVA-24 valves and 1 was unused (the pipe is capped off
for a vacuum that isn't installed) and 1 had no diverter as it just had a
clear viewing window.

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211413.jpg

I withdraw my idea of going vertical. What you have there is a Jandy
Valve Farm. A real national treasure :-\

Looks kind of like the engine plumbing on the Space Shuttle I saw at
Kennedy Space center. Maybe Paramount hired out of work NASA contractors.

Oren[_2_] May 8th 12 06:19 PM

wrote:

Here's a closeup of the inch-long crack necessitating the repair:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8211478.jpg

Note that valve sits closer to the ground than the one next to it? Or
is it the photo...

For giggles, call a Cabana girl pool service. It can be fixed with
some changes in the pipes.

Oren[_2_] May 8th 12 06:42 PM

wrote:

There are flexible tools that hold even longer screwdriver bits.

Interesting. Yes, a flexible shaft would have been perfect because I
couldn't get a straight shot on most of the screws and there is a pipe
right in front (less than the length of a stubby screwdriver) of the Jandy
valves!

Get an offset screwdriver. Ratcheting. Should be in your toolbox.

I bought this item. Added a 1/4" socket and short driver bit (works
inside a truck door panel).

- Thumbwheel Ratchet Set

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-thumbwheel-ratchet-set-94011.html

Oren[_2_] May 8th 12 08:25 PM

If I can be bold: "..it looks like a six-pack of **** blew up."

Arklin K. May 8th 12 08:51 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especiallycrowded)

On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:57:20 -0500, gonjah wrote:

I'd try Plast-Aid first.

I called the owner of the plast-aid main number (970)577-1000, Randy, in
Colorado, but it matters if it's PVC, Acrylic, Styrene, but not Nylon or
PBS plastic. One way to test is to put lacquer thinner on the plastic and
if it gets sticky, it's good to go.

He gave me this procedu
Wipe the outside of the Jandy valve clean with a paper towel
Put just the liquid on a corner of the paper towel
Wipe that liquid over a half inch on both sides of the crack
Then mix the plastic liquid and powder to a drippy consistency
Note: It must be wet to work!
Smear a thin layer over the crack half inch on both sides of crack
In time, the consistency will get frosting thick
Wait until it's no longer drippy on this bonding layer
Then smear a new layer on top to add thickness for strength

The first smear is the chemical bond; The second smear is for strength.

The two components liquid and powder, become part of the Jandy valve
plastic. He says this is different than adhesives which are polar
attraction.

He explained Chem Quip in San Jose distributes the stuff, and SCP in San
Jose or Spa Depot in Seattle.

Arklin K. May 8th 12 09:01 PM

On Tue, 08 May 2012 09:40:26 -0700, Oren wrote:

I withdraw my idea of going vertical. What you have there is a Jandy
Valve Farm. A real national treasure :-\

BTW, at Home Depot, a 2" PVC ball valve is about $11 while a Jandy valve
is $90 (plus about $9 tax).

What's different?

I am calling Zodiac systems (800) 822-7933 technical support ("our call
volume is high") and have been on hold for fifteen minutes. I'll wait but
I wonder if anyone here knows WHAT the heck is the difference?

Should I just go with a cheaper ball valve?

Arklin K. May 8th 12 09:09 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especiallycrowded)

On Tue, 08 May 2012 11:46:36 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Looks kind of like the engine plumbing on the Space Shuttle I saw at
Kennedy Space center.

I bought the plumbing today (schedule 40 white PVC at Home Depot).

I'm still exploring the Plast-Aid ... it will only work on the crack if
the plastic is PVC but not if it's nylon on the Jandy valve.

Jandy doesn't seem to answer their support number because they dropped
the call after about 20 minutes. Drat. I'll try again.
http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/products/valves.aspx

One other question ... I have 2" schedule 40 PVC pipes.

Surprisingly, there is no 2" Jandy valve.

Which one is the one I would want?
4716 2" - 2½" Positive Seal, 2 Port NeverLube Valve
4724 1½" - 2" Positive Seal, 2 Port NeverLube Valve

PS: I'd ask Jandy (aka Zodiac) if they'd only answer their phone!
(800) 822-7933

Vic Smith May 8th 12 09:20 PM

On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:42:29 -0700, Oren wrote:

I bought this item. Added a 1/4" socket and short driver bit (works
inside a truck door panel).

- Thumbwheel Ratchet Set

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-thumbwheel-ratchet-set-94011.html

Never saw that tool. Looks useful.

--
Vic

Oren[_2_] May 8th 12 09:26 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:01:06 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

BTW, at Home Depot, a 2" PVC ball valve is about $11 while a Jandy valve
is $90 (plus about $9 tax).

What's different?

Jandy valves are the intended method. Best.

A 2" PVC ball valve is not the way to go. A waste of money.

Arklin K. May 8th 12 09:44 PM

On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:19:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

Note that valve sits closer to the ground than the one next to it?
Or is it the photo...

Nope. You're wholly correct.

The valve that cracked is the one that sits closest to the ground.
The surrounding valves sit up higher.

The reason, apparently, this one sits in the worst position possible is
that there is a PIPE directly above it!

Why they made these pipes like the overpasses and underpasses in NYC is
beyond me. Another problem is you can't easily get to it because there is
a retaining wall less than a foot on the other side. I can get my arms in
there - but not much else lying sideways on the ground in that foot of
space.

I'm really really starting to like the idea someone suggested of the
Plast-Aid acrylic. I finally got through to Jandy (Zodiac) asking what
the materials are.

CPVC - chlorinated poly vinyl chloride

Arklin K. May 8th 12 09:58 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especiallycrowded)

On Tue, 08 May 2012 15:08:21 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Interesting. I have some I've never used, but it was given to me by a
reputable (probably the best in town) pool service company.

Jandy told me it's CPVC (which, incidentally, is molded into the plastic
on the outside of the valve - if I had only known what to look for).

I called Randy at Plast-aid back (970)577-1000 and spoke to Darlene who
said she will ask Randy if CPVC is the same (for our purposes) as PVC.

I'll let you know.

Arklin K. May 8th 12 10:02 PM

On Tue, 08 May 2012 12:25:28 -0700, Oren wrote:

If I can be bold: "..it looks like a six-pack of **** blew up."

I'm on the phone with Jandy to find out what the plastic is (it's CPVC).

When I said it shouldn't have cracked (and it shouldn't have), she said
that it's a lifetime warranty.

I said, oh yeah? She said I had to be 'registered' and she looked me up
and lo and behold, she just found me. I'm registered under the previous
owner.

She's asking me which one I want her to send me:
#4724 1.5 inches to 2 inches (the 2-inch schedule 40 pipe goes outside)
#4716 2 inches to 2.5 inches (the 2-inch schedule 40 pipe goes inside)

Which one do I want?

Arklin K. May 8th 12 10:03 PM

On Tue, 08 May 2012 13:26:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

A 2" PVC ball valve is not the way to go. A waste of money.

Jandy is sending me a new never-lube ball valve (I'm on the phone with
them right now) under warranty (the PO registered the pool equipment).

Which one do I want?

The one where the pipe goes inside the valve or the one where the pipe
goes outside the valve?

Oren[_2_] May 15th 12 06:03 PM

Pool Jandy valve - is there a way to repair (especially crowded)

wrote:
BTW, at Home Depot, a 2" PVC ball valve is about $11 while a Jandy valve
is $90 (plus about $9 tax).

What's different?

Jandy valves are the intended method. Best.

A 2" PVC ball valve is not the way to go. A waste of money.

The Jandy valves are more durable and last.
The PVC ball valves are not rated for sunlight,
among other things, and will deteriorate in a few
years.

Don;t know where he's buying them, but those
Jandy valves are available for less than half of that $90.

Yep. My pool solar pipes have two PVC ball valves. I dislike them so
much I never operate them. Full open, instead of shutting the panel
water off from the pump in the winter. Stiff and makes me feel like
they are about to break.