Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean Kohler porcelain kitchen sink

We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft Scrub.

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might try?

Thank you very much.

Dwight Gibb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 12:21*pm, Dwight wrote:
We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft Scrub..

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might try?

Thank you very much.

Dwight Gibb

I'd try one of the rust stain remove products, like
CLR that you can get at HD, hardware store, etc
With rust stains, I've seen them just disappear
instantly when you put the product on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 12:21*pm, Dwight wrote:
We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft Scrub..

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might try?

Thank you very much.

Dwight Gibb

SWMBO just fills ours with hot tap water and a cup or two of bleach
and lets it site for a few hours.

You might also try water & vinegar if the bleach doesn't work.

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2012 11:21 AM, Dwight wrote:
We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft Scrub.

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might try?

Thank you very much.

Dwight Gibb

fill the sink with warm water and then add a quart of bleach. Works
wonders. (let sit a while)

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote

fill the sink with warm water and then add a quart of bleach. Works
wonders. (let sit a while)

Even half a cup works well enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 May 2012 09:21:12 -0700, Dwight
wrote:

We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft Scrub.

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might try?

Thank you very much.

Dwight Gibb

For me? After a sink that many years old, I would call a pro.

They can restore a sink in look like new, serviceable condition.

It only takes an hour or two for the fix. Looks better than new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote in
m:

We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft
Scrub.

Exactly where are these stains? Are they in that area where the faucet
drips? Elsewhere?

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might
try?

CLR or equivalent. Harmless to porcelain, works wonders on mineral deposits
and rust.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:

Dwight wrote in
m:

We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft
Scrub.

Exactly where are these stains? Are they in that area where the faucet
drips? Elsewhere?

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might
try?

CLR or equivalent. Harmless to porcelain, works wonders on mineral deposits
and rust.

Thanks every one. Clorox did it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 9:24*pm, Dwight wrote:
Tegger wrote:
Dwight wrote in
om:

We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft
Scrub.

Exactly where are these stains? Are they in that area where the faucet
drips? Elsewhere?

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might
try?

CLR or equivalent. Harmless to porcelain, works wonders on mineral deposits
and rust.

Thanks every *one. Clorox did it.

For constant upkeep, use a paper towel with a squirt of Dial
antibacterial handsoap on it.

Using a swirling pattern, clean the sink. Not much water, almost dry.
You'd be surprised at the dark muck that comes off onto the towel.
Then rinse, Makes shiney, like new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 1:08*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
On May 4, 9:24*pm, Dwight wrote:

Tegger wrote:
Dwight wrote in
om:

We have a 23 year old Kohler cast iron kitchen sink that we have taken
good care of - dont let coffee residue stand in the sink, etc.

Now we are getting brown-gray stains that do not come off with Soft
Scrub.

Exactly where are these stains? Are they in that area where the faucet
drips? Elsewhere?

Do you have recommendations for methods or materials that we might
try?

CLR or equivalent. Harmless to porcelain, works wonders on mineral deposits
and rust.

Thanks every *one. Clorox did it.

For constant upkeep, use a paper towel with a squirt of Dial
antibacterial handsoap on it.

Using a swirling pattern, clean the sink. Not much water, almost dry.
You'd be surprised at the dark muck that comes off onto the towel.
Then rinse, Makes shiney, like new.

I've had good luck with those Magic Erasers -- they are safe, too.

Kohler Black Kitchen Sink LindyP28 Home Repair 8 November 13th 06 02:22 PM
Kohler sink frank Home Repair 1 August 4th 06 01:34 AM
kitchen sink - pitfalls to porcelain enamel or acrylic sinks? Todd H. Home Ownership 3 November 30th 05 02:20 AM
Kitchen sink - Kohler or American Std? [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 16th 05 06:03 AM
"How frequently do you clean the plughole and connecting pipe in your kitchen sink?" ggg UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:50 PM