Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adjustable posts for my porch

I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 6:22*pm, wrote:
I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?

Why do they need to be adjustable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 10:41*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:22*pm, wrote:

I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?

Why do they need to be adjustable?

Since the porch is already in place, I have to load the posts. If I
just cut posts to fit between the porch sill and the footing, it will
be a loose fit. The adustable feature would allow me to put a
compression load in the post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 6:22*pm, wrote:
I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?

Why not just use more lally columns?

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 6:33*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Apr 29, 6:22*pm, wrote:

I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?

Why not just use more lally columns?

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link:http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ

Yep and if he doesn't like the look, one lally column cranked up a
bit
past to lift the beam a bit, insert post of choice, release lally
column
lowering beam back down for tight fit. That was my approach.

I bought two of them back in the 70s and have used them in many
different ways fort demporary support and such as I outlined above.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 6:22*pm, wrote:

I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?

Why do they need to be adjustable?

Since the porch is already in place, I have to load the posts. If I
just cut posts to fit between the porch sill and the footing, it will
be a loose fit. The adustable feature would allow me to put a
compression load in the post.

How about some photos of the situation?

"Adjustability" is not the only way to assure that the new columns
share the load.
The existing structure could be jacked to allow installation the new
columns.

If the porch is already in place why the need to add more columns?
Is the current system allowing the porch roof to sag?

Google "jack posts" and take a look at the offerings.

A DIY jack post could be made from a similar column as currently
exists using a 1" bolt, nut and some bearing plates.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it is a good idea.

Use wood posts, with a steel cap on the bottom and a short steel bolt
extending down.

This makes it adjustable so you can load the columns as much as needed
now and in the future, and protects the wood from moisture related
rot. I saw these all over Germany, and thought they looked strange at
first, then realized how practical they are. They look funny because
you see a 6x6 post then a couple inches of 1 inch steel bolt on the
bottom, but they're plenty strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 6:22*pm, wrote:

I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?

Why do they need to be adjustable?

Since the porch is already in place, I have to load the posts. If I
just cut posts to fit between the porch sill and the footing, it will
be a loose fit. The adustable feature would allow me to put a
compression load in the post.

Raise the existing porch roof, insert the fixed column of your choice,
lower the roof.

It's done all the time. Just be careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/30/2012 1:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Raise the existing porch roof, insert the fixed column of your choice,
lower the roof.

+1

We have a winnah...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

That's surely what I would do, and have done in the past. There are
new hollow plastic columns that go around the actual load-bearing

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 5:22*pm, wrote:
I have a 3 Season Porch 15' x 12' with a gable roof. It is supported
by 3 lalley columns under the main carrying beam. I put in 3 more
footings at the extreme corners and one in the middle for extra
support. I'm looking for 3 good adjustble columns that are meant to be
perminant. Anyone have any good sugestions?

will a jack post work? you can wrap/cover with wood

Adjustable Bed Mattress Find a Sale on Adjustable Bed Mattresses [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 23rd 08 02:56 AM
Copper plate on base of old porch posts and columns blueman Woodworking 9 January 12th 08 05:30 PM
Adjustable mirrors Matty F UK diy 13 April 9th 07 05:55 AM
Distance between posts for 5 x 3 posts and 6ft featheredge the carpet man UK diy 2 March 27th 06 04:21 PM
Turned porch posts Roger Woodturning 13 April 30th 05 01:04 AM