Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tiling over sheetrock vs cement board

All the pros say , you got to use cbu or your walls will turn to mush.
Well I just tore down my 4" tiles around my tub/shower and the walls were
just fine after 30+ years. Maybe if there are several people taking hour
long showers everyday and you don't maintain your grout and caulking cbu
is insurance but I am going with good old sheetrock!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:45*am, mark wrote:
All the pros say , you got to use cbu or your walls will turn to mush.
Well I just tore down my 4" tiles around my tub/shower and the walls were
just fine after 30+ years. Maybe if there are several people taking hour
long showers everyday and you don't maintain your grout and caulking cbu
is insurance but I am going with good old sheetrock!

I guess it comes down to how lucky you feel today.
I don't know anyone that recommends ordinary
sheetrock for tiling a shower. Given the small additional
cost of cement board in the overall project and the
possible consequences, I know what I would use.
Also, are you sure that the drywall made 30 years
ago has the same characteristics as the drywall
made today?

Bottom line for me is to use best known practices and
not try to save a few bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:45*am, mark wrote:
All the pros say , you got to use cbu or your walls will turn to mush.
Well I just tore down my 4" tiles around my tub/shower and the walls were
just fine after 30+ years. Maybe if there are several people taking hour
long showers everyday and you don't maintain your grout and caulking cbu
is insurance but I am going with good old sheetrock!

Obviously, you can go with whatever you like, but your logic is wrong
to start with.

You said: "Maybe if there are several people taking hour long showers
everyday and you don't maintain your grout and caulking"

If it's all about maintaining your caulk and grouting, then why does
it matter how long the showers last? If you are basing your
"protection" on the grout and caulking, then no water should ever get
through, even if the showers last all day. Maybe your maintenance
frquency will need to increase, but that's all it's based - the
maintenance.

That said, take it from someone who moved into a house where there was
no indication of grout or caulking issues - even after a professional
home inspection.

6 months later we had a leak and I found that the drywall behind the
shower tile was mush. I had to gut the shower area to repair it. Had
it been Cement Board, I would have merely needed to fix the leak.

Your choice...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies, I decided to go with densarmor similar to
densshield, fiberglass coating instead of paper (no mould food) and the
core is impregnated with water resistance and anti mould ingredients. I
tested it in a bucket of water for 4 days - no breakdown at all