Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ebay LED bulb follow up report

I was disappointed, the cool white turned out to be blue.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message

LED lights are known to be less bright than CFs. You can read this
all over the net. Also what you bought was under 2 watts so I
wouldn't expect it to be too bright. The only thing that would
upset me is that they said it was a clear light and you said it was
blue light so not clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

.

"Doug" wrote in message

LED lights are known to be less bright than CFs. You can read this
all over the net. Also what you bought was under 2 watts so I
wouldn't expect it to be too bright. The only thing that would
upset me is that they said it was a clear light and you said it was
blue light so not clear.

Any bulb marked "cool white" will look blue if the manufacturer follows the
practices started with the introduction of fluorescent lamps in the 1940s.
For the folks who like numbers, thats 4100 Kelvins. Some people used to
describe it as "cloudy sky". Anything marked "daylight" is probably even
bluer (5000 Kelvins or more). To get a warm light, like incandescent, use
one marked "warm white" or with a rating of 2700-3000 Kelvins.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

LED lights are known to be less bright than CFs. You can read this
all over the net. Also what you bought was under 2 watts so I
wouldn't expect it to be too bright. The only thing that would
upset me is that they said it was a clear light and you said it was
blue light so not clear.

You're just not in tune with marketing speak.
The ebay listing gives almost zero real info.

The human eye is extremely forgiving. Unless you're color matching
fabrics or tweaking photograph colors, it doesn't much matter what
color the light is. I prefer the brighter cool white over the dimmer
warm yellow color temperature.

I've been buying the lights of america led bulbs for three generations.
They're about six bux at wal-mart.
The current generation is 2W 110 lumens. Leds are surface mounted on a
stalk, so they have a wide pattern.
FWIW, there's lots of criticism of LOA on the web. I've never had a
failure. I run 'em 24/7.

And you really don't need much light at all.
I have three of these. One in the kitchen, one in the living room
and one in the bathroom off the master bedroom.
I can easily navigate anywhere in the house without incident.
Don't need more light to sit here in front of the computer screen or make
a sandwich or take a pee. Life is good.

I do have some ancient artifacts. I think they were called paper books.
If I ever need to read one of them, I'll have to reach up and turn on the
insanely bright 13W CFL. That doesn't happen often.
I'm told that curtains can be opened to let in sunlight, but I've never
tried it.

My neighbor calls me "the mole". ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tomsic" wrote in message ...

Any bulb marked "cool white" will look blue if the manufacturer follows the
practices started with the introduction of fluorescent lamps in the 1940s.
For the folks who like numbers, thats 4100 Kelvins. Some people used to
describe it as "cloudy sky". Anything marked "daylight" is probably even
bluer (5000 Kelvins or more). To get a warm light, like incandescent, use
one marked "warm white" or with a rating of 2700-3000 Kelvins.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

I just put in a cfl daylight over the kitchen sink. It's not sunlight, but
looks like scattered sunlight. I'll probably change it. I can't see things
as clear using high color temps. Seems like I can see much better with warm
light. I see just fine using halogen, which is more like direct sunlight.

Greg