Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Digital Line Voltage Thermostat for 120V, 1350W.

A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
Help much appreciated.
Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 12:07*am, frank1492 wrote:
A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 *and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
* *Help much appreciated.
* * * *Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...7235A1003.html

Google is your friend...

I don't know which ones you were looking at but
the one at the URL above is rated 15amps at 120v...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:53:58 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

Google is your friend...

No it's not!
Google is a company out to get rich off of it's users, using identity
theft to determine how much and what kind of ads to force on it's users.

Google is determined to destroy usenet too.

Google sucks, and is not my friend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 12:07*am, frank1492 wrote:
A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 *and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
* *Help much appreciated.
* * * *Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

drive a contactor or high current relay to provide final power.

a contactor is a high current relay with double make double break
contacts for super long reliable life
Posted to alt.home.repair

A HVAC pro can use a 24 VAC power supply, and a contactor to do the job.
Contactors (relays) can be rated for plenty enough amps for your job.

And, with 24 VAC power supply, you have a much wider range of thermostats to
choose.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"frank1492" wrote in message
A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
Help much appreciated.
Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

After an hour of Googling I failed to come up with anything. I don't
see anything about 120V on the specs of this thermostat, don't know
where you read 15a at 120v, but I do see that the maximum amps is 15
and it's clearly a relay-type device. But since it has no battery
what runs the display and doesn't that assume 208/240v (which are the
only voltages I see in the spec?)

wrote:

On Mar 23, 12:07*am, frank1492 wrote:
A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 *and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
* *Help much appreciated.
* * * *Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...7235A1003.html

Google is your friend...

I don't know which ones you were looking at but
the one at the URL above is rated 15amps at 120v...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
Help much appreciated.
Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

Bob Haller has the proper answer. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 10:22*am, "WW" wrote:
"frank1492" wrote in message

A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 *and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
* Help much appreciated.
* * * Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

Bob Haller has the proper answer. WW

I believe this thermostat, handling 2000W at 120V, meets the
requirements:

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume..._1E65_144_.pdf

I found it with a bit of googling and there are probably more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 12:07*am, frank1492 wrote:
A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 *and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
* *Help much appreciated.
* * * *Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

After reading your replies here let's try a *NOVEL*
approach since you have told us what won't work,

why not telling us what all you are needing to control
with a single pole 120v line voltage thermostat then ?

A fan ? A weird heater of some kind ? Maybe if you
shed some light on that mystery you would find better
answers as people can help you with your application...

~~ Evan

P.S. Since you seem to have very particular requirements,
perhaps you are experiencing a device to application
mismatch -- suggest replacing the device you want to use
controlled with the line voltage thermostat which only
needs 120v power with one which is fed by 240v...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 11:49*am, Evan wrote:
On Mar 23, 12:07*am, frank1492 wrote:

A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 *and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
* *Help much appreciated.
* * * *Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

After reading your replies here let's try a *NOVEL*
approach since you have told us what won't work,

why not telling us what all you are needing to control
with a single pole 120v line voltage thermostat then ?

Yeah, that would be a good place to start, wouldn't it?
He said 10A isn't quite enough, but never said what is
enough. I gave him a link above to one that can
handle 16A, 120V and you would think it would do what he
wants, but who knows.

A fan ? *A weird heater of some kind ? *Maybe if you
shed some light on that mystery you would find better
answers as people can help you with your application...

~~ Evan

P.S. Since you seem to have very particular requirements,
perhaps you are experiencing a device to application
mismatch -- suggest replacing the device you want to use
controlled with the line voltage thermostat which only
needs 120v power with one which is fed by 240v...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I missed that one, but what does "minimum" 2000 watts imply
(for 120v)? I simply want to control a purely resistive 1350 watt 120v
baseboard.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:13:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 23, 10:22*am, "WW" wrote:
"frank1492" wrote in message

A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 *and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
* Help much appreciated.
* * * Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

Bob Haller has the proper answer. WW

I believe this thermostat, handling 2000W at 120V, meets the
requirements:

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume..._1E65_144_.pdf

I found it with a bit of googling and there are probably more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks very much to all for your ideas. It's a toss between the relay
idea and the Emerson stat, which I apparently missed when Googling..

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:07:05 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

A couple of the Honeywells are rated at 10 and 10.4 A for 120v, but I
don't think this is quite enough. Any thermostat that you feel would
be safe? Cadet used to make a 120v only model with a high amp rating,
but these are discontinued.
Help much appreciated.
Frank
P.S. Must have digital, but don't need programmable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 1:15*pm, frank1492 wrote:
Thanks. I missed that one, but what does "minimum" 2000 watts imply
(for 120v)?

Well, that's a good one that I read right over, ain;t it.
It's almost certainly a mistake and they mean 2000W max. It spec'd at
4000W max at 240V, which would be a current of 16 amps.
That same current at 120V would produce 2000W, ie half the
power.

simply want to control a purely resistive 1350 watt 120v
baseboard.

It should work fine for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes I agree, must be a misprint, makes no sense as stated.
Thanks again so much for your help. I really am pretty good at
Googling so I think these specs must be fairly rare.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:26:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 23, 1:15*pm, frank1492 wrote:
Thanks. I missed that one, but what does "minimum" 2000 watts imply
(for 120v)?

Well, that's a good one that I read right over, ain;t it.
It's almost certainly a mistake and they mean 2000W max. It spec'd at
4000W max at 240V, which would be a current of 16 amps.
That same current at 120V would produce 2000W, ie half the
power.

simply want to control a purely resistive 1350 watt 120v
baseboard.

It should work fine for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me see. I said on the subject line that the thermostat should
handle 120V, 1350w. I assumed you might have assumed that meant a
resistive load as in a baseboard heater. Now dividing 1350 by 120
would give 11.25, greater than 10 or 10.4, hence my not "quite enough"
comment. I guess that would make 12a or more "enough."
Sorry for my lack of clarity and incorrect assumptions.