Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spy TV?

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about
Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and
microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Big Brother double plus ungood!

SMITH! WINSTON J! 604732! I SEE YOU READING THE BOOK OF MORMON IN FRONT OF
THE TV! NOW, GIVE ME TEN DEEP TOE TOUCHERS!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about
Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and
microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Big Brother double plus ungood!

SMITH! WINSTON J! 604732! I SEE YOU READING THE BOOK OF MORMON IN
FRONT OF THE TV! NOW, GIVE ME TEN DEEP TOE TOUCHERS!

Winston Smith's name/number, according to the voice in his cell in the
Ministry of Truth, was "6079 Smith W".

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

And, of course, someone would remember the correct information, and remind
me. Thank you, comrade.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Big Brother double plus ungood!

SMITH! WINSTON J! 604732! I SEE YOU READING THE BOOK OF MORMON IN
FRONT OF THE TV! NOW, GIVE ME TEN DEEP TOE TOUCHERS!

Winston Smith's name/number, according to the voice in his cell in the
Ministry of Truth, was "6079 Smith W".

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about
Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and
microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

how would the signal from the cam and mic get out of your house?
does the TV contain it's own transmitter? or must it hook to your PC?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:27:29 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about
Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and
microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

how would the signal from the cam and mic get out of your house?
does the TV contain it's own transmitter? or must it hook to your PC?

dunno. My read was if the TV is not connected to the Internet;
nothing is sent..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:18:57 -0700, Oren wrote:

how would the signal from the cam and mic get out of your house?
does the TV contain it's own transmitter? or must it hook to your PC?

dunno. My read was if the TV is not connected to the Internet;
nothing is sent..

I just saw this video about how the apps send data to the server via
ads...speaks of warrants, FBI, Patriot Act, etc.

Conversation with Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

_How do apps really use your personal information?_

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1523094189001/how-do-apps-really-use-your-personal-information/?playlist_id=86928

App Attack!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:38:21 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about
Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and
microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

Ah, this was an item on ABC tv news in the middle of the night about
3AM this morning. It's a bit like happy time news and I had no idea
what they were talking about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:18:57 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:27:29 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about
Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and
microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

how would the signal from the cam and mic get out of your house?
does the TV contain it's own transmitter? or must it hook to your PC?

dunno. My read was if the TV is not connected to the Internet;
nothing is sent..

Of course my tv, if I ever get a modern one, will be connected to the
internet. Wait, my current one is too, but I never use it. But it's
only for downloading. The connection is to the computer's sound and
video output.

I would buy a new tv maybe, but they too only have input, from outside
signal sources. No way to output what I'm watching and listenting to
to my home network.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:27:29 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

Article here http://tinyurl.com/7sumrdj talks about
Samsung's high end TVs. They have built in cameras and
microphones. The author has quite a few privacy concerns.

how would the signal from the cam and mic get out of your house?
does the TV contain it's own transmitter? or must it hook to your PC?

dunno. My read was if the TV is not connected to the Internet;
nothing is sent..

Cable is two-way.

No, the best answer is to unplug the TV when not in use.

When the TV IS being used, a bit of electrical tape over the camera might be
appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:08:54 -0400, micky
wrote:

Of course my tv, if I ever get a modern one, will be connected to the
internet. Wait, my current one is too, but I never use it. But it's
only for downloading. The connection is to the computer's sound and
video output.

I would buy a new tv maybe, but they too only have input, from outside
signal sources. No way to output what I'm watching and listenting to
to my home network.

Many new TVs are being connected to the Internet. No telling what can
be done once plugged in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/21/2012 06:13 PM, HeyBub wrote:

[snip]

No, the best answer is to unplug the TV when not in use.

When the TV IS being used, a bit of electrical tape over the camera might be
appropriate.

You could use something like a BandAid, so that when you want to use
the camera it won't be covered by sticky mess.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"A Mormon is a man that has the bad taste and the religion to do what a
good many other people are restrained from doing by conscientious
scruples and the police." Mr. Dooley]