Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does Anyone Make GRAY Illuminated Wall Switches?

I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray.
They would look good in a recently-repainted room. Looking on the internet
and through the product catalogs of such manufacturers are Leviton and Cooper
has come up blank except for the Leviton slide switches marketed as the
"Monet" line, which I simply don't find attractive. Non-illuminated is easy,
at least by special-order, but not illuminated. I don't care if these are
traditional toggle or the decorative style such as Decora.

I guess this is a rather oddball question, but perhaps someone out there
happens to have stumbled on an appropriate product. Residential or (even
better) spec/commercial grade is fine.

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 10, 1:06*pm, (Arthur Shapiro) wrote:
I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray.
They would look good in a recently-repainted room. *Looking on the internet
and through the product catalogs of such manufacturers are Leviton and Cooper
has come up blank except for the Leviton slide switches marketed as the
"Monet" line, which I simply don't find attractive. *Non-illuminated is easy,
at least by special-order, but not illuminated. *I don't care if these are
traditional toggle or the decorative style such as Decora.

I guess this is a rather oddball question, but perhaps someone out there
happens to have stumbled on an appropriate product. *Residential or (even
better) spec/commercial grade is fine.

Art

Try Pass & Seymour/Legrand (or whatever it is now). I've ben able to
order gray outlets and several other things from our distributor.
Menards carries the line.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray.
They would look good in a recently-repainted room. Looking on the internet
and through the product catalogs of such manufacturers are Leviton and Cooper
has come up blank except for the Leviton slide switches marketed as the
"Monet" line, which I simply don't find attractive. Non-illuminated is easy,
at least by special-order, but not illuminated. I don't care if these are
traditional toggle or the decorative style such as Decora.

I guess this is a rather oddball question, but perhaps someone out there
happens to have stumbled on an appropriate product. Residential or (even
better) spec/commercial grade is fine.

Art

Looks gray to me,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Do-Best-Clea...3430%26ps%3D54
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 12:34*am, "Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money " wrote:
Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray.
They would look good in a recently-repainted room. *Looking on the internet
and through the product catalogs of such manufacturers are Leviton and Cooper
has come up blank except for the Leviton slide switches marketed as the
"Monet" line, which I simply don't find attractive. *Non-illuminated is easy,
at least by special-order, but not illuminated. *I don't care if these are
traditional toggle or the decorative style such as Decora.

I guess this is a rather oddball question, but perhaps someone out there
happens to have stumbled on an appropriate product. *Residential or (even
better) spec/commercial grade is fine.

Art

* Looks gray to me,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Do-Best-Clea...itch-15A-Illum...

It's actually clear but the OP could paint the toggle gray & maybe
leave the tip unpainted or lightly painted.

OP-

Google a Decora Leviton Grey illuminated switch

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2012 11:06 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray.

Thanks so far, everyone. Negative on Pass & Seymour. Negative on
Decora. And I'm not going to paint a clear switch - there's no way it
would stand up to repetitive handling over the years.

I wanted gray in a bank of three switches where two of them control my
outside lights, and illuminated would make it easy to see when an
outside light has been left on when closing the house down for the
night. Looks like I have the choice of gray non-illuminated or a more
traditional color. The wall is a light green and I thought gray might
look quite attractive, but white (where lighted switches are fairly
routine) might have to suffice.

It's sad being on the leading edge of decorating technology. I
appreciated the input.

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2012 8:46 PM, Art Shapiro wrote:
[...]

You can get them in a Diva rocker style dimmer:

http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/D...luminated.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2012 6:42 PM, RBM wrote:

You can get them in a Diva rocker style dimmer:

Interesting - thanks! I had looked at the site and missed that one. I
don't need a dimmer, and of course it jacks up the price, but beggars
can't be choosers.

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2012 1:09 AM, Art Shapiro wrote:
On 2/11/2012 6:42 PM, RBM wrote:

You can get them in a Diva rocker style dimmer:

Interesting - thanks! I had looked at the site and missed that one. I
don't need a dimmer, and of course it jacks up the price, but beggars
can't be choosers.

Art

On Diva dimmers, the adjustment tab is so small, they're practically
indistinguishable from standard rocker switches. They are pricey though
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Shapiro wrote:
[...]

If you painted the back of a clear switch, it would not be subject to
handling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:06:11 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray.
They would look good in a recently-repainted room. Looking on the internet
and through the product catalogs of such manufacturers are Leviton and Cooper
has come up blank except for the Leviton slide switches marketed as the
"Monet" line, which I simply don't find attractive. Non-illuminated is easy,
at least by special-order, but not illuminated. I don't care if these are
traditional toggle or the decorative style such as Decora.

I guess this is a rather oddball question, but perhaps someone out there
happens to have stumbled on an appropriate product. Residential or (even
better) spec/commercial grade is fine.

Art

You can buy (or used to be able to) the neon bulbs with the resistor
already hooked to one leg at radio shack. Or you can just buy your
own neon bulbs and separate resistor and solder it together. Then you
just hook the two legs of the neon/resistor assembly to the same
screws on the wall switch that you hook the lights wires too. It will
glow when the light is off. You position the neon bulb on the side of
the switch so it glows thru the plastic cover plate. Most neon are
the orange but you can get them in other colors too although I doubt
you'll find gray ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ashton Crusher wrote:

You can buy (or used to be able to) the neon bulbs with the resistor
already hooked to one leg at radio shack. Or you can just buy your
own neon bulbs and separate resistor and solder it together

Thanks for a very interesting take on the issue. I have plenty of neon bulbs
in the parts drawer, although I'll have to research the appropriate dropping
resistor as it's been quite a few years since that value had to be used. If
there's enough of a translucence in various switchplates this could work out.

Art