Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower - hot water in only one certain position

At my parent's house, one shower has a handle that goes from hot to
cold. You have to put the handle at one certain position to get any
hot water, and then it isn't very much. If you move the handle just a
little bit in either direction, the water is cold. (The sink in the
same bathroom gets plenty of hot water.)

My mother asked the plumber who installed it and he said that the
reason is that it is a low-flow shower head. I think that the valve
is either installed incorrectly or messed up.

What do you think it is likely to be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 20:49:27 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

At my parent's house, one shower has a handle that goes from hot to
cold. You have to put the handle at one certain position to get any
hot water, and then it isn't very much. If you move the handle just a
little bit in either direction, the water is cold. (The sink in the
same bathroom gets plenty of hot water.)

My mother asked the plumber who installed it and he said that the
reason is that it is a low-flow shower head. I think that the valve
is either installed incorrectly or messed up.

What do you think it is likely to be?

If it's "hot" in one position and cold on either side of that, yes, the valve
is screwed up. With some of these valves, the stops are in the handle. The
valve may be in the wrong position. Does it, by chance, operate backwards?
You might try pulling the handle and rotate the valve 180degrees and reinstall
the knob.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:14:22 -0500, "
wrote:

If it's "hot" in one position and cold on either side of that, yes, the valve
is screwed up. With some of these valves, the stops are in the handle. The
valve may be in the wrong position. Does it, by chance, operate backwards?

I believe it is, the position that gets some hot water is about the 3
oclock position.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

At my parent's house, one shower has a handle that goes from hot to
cold. You have to put the handle at one certain position to get any
hot water, and then it isn't very much. If you move the handle just a
little bit in either direction, the water is cold. (The sink in the
same bathroom gets plenty of hot water.)

My mother asked the plumber who installed it and he said that the
reason is that it is a low-flow shower head. I think that the valve
is either installed incorrectly or messed up.

What do you think it is likely to be?

Is it a temperature controlled anti-scald valve? If so, it has to be
adjusted to allow more hot to flow in the mix. Since it goes cold
again after the hot spot, it may be an adjustment or it could be a
defective cartridge.

First step it to get the model and see if there are instructions on
line. If they does not help, call the customer service of the
manufacturer. They usually offer good service and good warrant
coverage.

I don't see how a low flow head would affect temperature. Get a new
plumber next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:58:37 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Is it a temperature controlled anti-scald valve?

Not as far as I know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If it's "hot" in one position and cold on either side of that, yes, the valve
is screwed up. With some of these valves, the stops are in the handle. The
valve may be in the wrong position. Does it, by chance, operate backwards?

I believe it is, the position that gets some hot water is about the 3
oclock position.

Try moving the knob (on the valve) 90 degrees. As I said, pull the knob,
rotate the valve 90degrees CW, and put the knob back on. That might be the
wrong direction but it's worth a couple of tries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote in
:

At my parent's house, one shower has a handle that goes from hot to
cold. You have to put the handle at one certain position to get any
hot water, and then it isn't very much. If you move the handle just a
little bit in either direction, the water is cold. (The sink in the
same bathroom gets plenty of hot water.)

My mother asked the plumber who installed it and he said that the
reason is that it is a low-flow shower head.

This is a case of a trades person who assumes the customer is clueless on
the subject. In fact, the tradesperson is clueless or, knows they ****ed
something up (or both) and are fixing it with BS.

There is nothing wrong with the customer being clueless on a subject...as
long as they are smart enough to hire someone who is proficient. You mom
may have been clueless, was smart enough to recognize it but unfortunately
not lucky enough to get a competent plumber.

I think that the valve
is either installed incorrectly or messed up.

What do you think it is likely to be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 11:06*pm, Jan Philips wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:58:37 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Is it a temperature controlled anti-scald valve?

Not as far as I know.

As far as you know: When was it installed ?

Take a picture of the valve in question, host
it somewhere on the internet and post a link
here...

You are either not knowing what to look for
on the valve to describe it OR are being
deliberately vague...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 00:32:55 -0500, "
wrote:

Try moving the knob (on the valve) 90 degrees. As I said, pull the knob,
rotate the valve 90degrees CW, and put the knob back on. That might be the
wrong direction but it's worth a couple of tries.

Is there any marking on the valve cartridge that shows which way it is
supposed to go?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try moving the knob (on the valve) 90 degrees. As I said, pull the knob,
rotate the valve 90degrees CW, and put the knob back on. That might be the
wrong direction but it's worth a couple of tries.

Is there any marking on the valve cartridge that shows which way it is
supposed to go?

Not that I could tell. Yes, I made this mistake, too. ;-)

Hot water cylinder position rog[_2_] UK diy 5 February 7th 11 08:12 AM
Hot water cylinder position rog[_2_] UK diy 0 February 6th 11 07:17 PM
Electric Shower Position and Water Seal. Shay UK diy 1 February 18th 07 11:02 PM
Shower Switch Position t60 UK diy 2 March 12th 05 01:04 AM
Mid-Position 3 Port Valve - Hot Water (A) position & OFF - but HW flow to boiler? Clivedodd UK diy 3 September 9th 03 12:53 AM