Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tossing a charged Capacitor in the Bathtub

AC caps don't contain any energy, when you take them out of the circuit.
They only function while the device is running.

DC cap would not contain enough energy to do much. And the power would short
terminal to terminal, not terminal to ground.

Short answer (ha ha), is not much.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
Most people know that dropping a cord or appliance that is plugged into
an outlet into a bathtub filled with water will electrocute the person
in the tub. Yet, you can drop a low voltage item such as a flashlight
with batteries in the tub and no one will be hurt. Even a set up jumper
cables connected to a car battery would not likely do anything, or might
just tingle a little (never tried this, but I've handled plenty battery
cables while standing on wet soil in wet shoes and never felt a thing).

Not that I'm planning to test this, but what would happen if a large
capacitor, charged with 200 volts or more was tossed into a filled
bathtub while someone was in the tub? (By large capacitor, I dont mean
the size, but rather, I mean a large capacity, such as 500 MF or one
Farad or more....).

I see no reason this would ever occur, but I'm just curious.

[NOTE: This could be DC or AC]. DC capacitors are used in electronics,
while the AC type are motor start capacitors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
AC caps don't contain any energy, when you take them out of the circuit.
They only function while the device is running.

DC cap would not contain enough energy to do much. And the power would
short
terminal to terminal, not terminal to ground.

Short answer (ha ha), is not much.

You never have seen a capacitor big enough.
While I do not know what effect dropping one in a bathtub would do, I do
know what a big one will do to a person when touched to the skin.

Ever seen anyone shocked with the deliberator ? I have seen that several
times. The people usually come off the bed a few inches due to the muscle
contraction. That is a big capacitor charged up and then put to the skin of
a person. Charge a few thousand microfarads to around 2000 volts and touch
it. Chances are you will not live or will have body parts missing.

While many times an AC capacitor will not contain much energy, if it is
taken out of a circuit when the voltage is at its peak, it will be charged
to that voltage and will shock the fool out of you depending on the capacity
of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 5:00*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
AC caps don't contain any energy, when you take them out of the circuit.
They only function while the device is running.

Not true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 12:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
AC caps don't contain any energy, when you take them out of the circuit.

That's just plain silly. The charge it has depends on where the sine
wave was at when it's taken out of the circuit.

.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 1:15 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/27/2012 12:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
AC caps don't contain any energy, when you take them out of the circuit.

That's just plain silly. The charge it has depends on where the sine
wave was at when it's taken out of the circuit.

I think Stupid Moron should test that theory in his bathtub.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 12:32*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Ever seen anyone shocked with the deliberator ?

I've never seen a deliberator cause much damage.

But a defibrillator works largely because the paddles/electrodes are
placed on opposite sides of the heart. Tough to do with the average
cap without attaching some cables, in which case it would probably
work better out of the tub...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ever seen anyone shocked with the deliberator ?

I've never seen a deliberator cause much damage.

But a defibrillator works largely because the paddles/electrodes are
placed on opposite sides of the heart. Tough to do with the average
cap without attaching some cables, in which case it would probably
work better out of the tub...

When used as designed, they don't normally cause any damage, because the
heart is either stopped or not pumping correctly. They are designed so they
will not discharge on a normally working heart. At least without an
override code that only the doctors are suppose to use.

Fire one off on someone that has a normal working heart and it may stop.
Large currents of DC will often just clamp the heart muscle and stop it.
When I mention large, it is relative. Much less than one amp will do it.
If inside the body, very small amounts of current will affect the heart.

While I doubt that a large capacitor just dropped in a tub will cause any
problems with the person in it, the whole point is that a large capacitor
charged to a high voltage is just as dangerous as the electricity in the
wall socket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

[...]

When I was in high school electricity shop,we used to charge fractional
microFarad caps to 100's of volts and toss them to other students,and "zap"
them when they caught the cap and touched it's leads.
It was enough to cause muscle spasms.

To do real harm,it has to be many uF,to hold a considerable charge.

BTW,the HV cap in a microwave oven is only .76uF,but can hold a dangerous
charge,at 4000 volts.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

milliamps can do it. even 100's of microamps.
BUT,you have to have enough voltage to break down skin resistance,or use
substances to lower the skin resistance. dry skin has a high resistance.
Those defib paddles are usually coated with a silver comppound.
ever notice the user rubbing the paddles together before applying them to
the patient? they are distributing the silver compound over the paddle's
surface.it also prevents skin burns.

While I doubt that a large capacitor just dropped in a tub will cause
any problems with the person in it, the whole point is that a large
capacitor charged to a high voltage is just as dangerous as the
electricity in the wall socket.

the current path for a charged cap dropped in a tub will not go through the
person. the charges that kill people travel through their extremities into
and through their torso,affecting the heart muscles. Plus their current and
duration are much higher than the caps you can generally find can store.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:53:02 -0600, JimT wrote:

On 1/27/2012 1:15 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/27/2012 12:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
AC caps don't contain any energy, when you take them out of the circuit.

That's just plain silly. The charge it has depends on where the sine
wave was at when it's taken out of the circuit.

I think Stupid Moron should test that theory in his bathtub.

I myself only have a DC bathtub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ever seen anyone shocked with the deliberator ?

I've never seen a deliberator cause much damage.

What about George W. Bush? Didn't he say he was the deliberator.