Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adjustments on large pre-WW2 Hot Water Finned Radiators

Title says it all - 1920s colonial with bulky radiators currently fed
by modern Burnham V8 Boiler.

General Description:
On the radiators themselves there are two types of adjustments(at
least they both *look like* adjustments): A large knob close to the
floor at one end of each radiator. And, two screws, one at each end
'fin', about 1/3rd way up from the bottom of the unit. See:
http://www.salvosites.com/images/use...56/52632_4.jpg (Look
carefully towards bottom - you will see screw I'm referring to) At
top of fin on one end is the bleeder valve - no explanation necessary.

Question#1:
What is the "nominal" or "default" position of those knobs - I'm
assuming 1/2way. That way rooms needing more heat can just be opened
up a little more and those needing less heat can be closed a little.
Currently, I have the units upstairs turned fully counter-clockwise -
Open as indicated on the knob-, and the units downstairs(closest to
the thermostat) halfway open. Please advise.

Question#2:
What is function of the flat-head screws in each end-fin of each
radiator unit, and how should they be ajdusted.

Notes:
Some of these radiators have received multiple coats of paint so
turning items in Q#2 will be difficult at best. All radiators get
plenty hot, especially this past weekend with lows in the low teens,
and are evenly hot - no coldspots.

Thanks,

-ChrisCoaster