Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kitchen lighting

About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 10:13*am, "Doug" wrote:
About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. *I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). * Is this a ballast
problem? *They seem to all turn on okay.

try swapping them/ may be different bulb

or ones diffuser may be yellowing
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:15:13 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Jan 17, 10:13*am, "Doug" wrote:
About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. *I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). * Is this a ballast
problem? *They seem to all turn on okay.

try swapping them/ may be different bulb

or ones diffuser may be yellowing

Yep, I did swap them. Before I google it, what is a diffuser? Easy
to replace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jan 17, 10:13*am, "Doug" wrote:
About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. *I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). * Is this a ballast
problem? *They seem to all turn on okay.

try swapping them/ may be different bulb

or ones diffuser may be yellowing

Yep, I did swap them. Before I google it, what is a diffuser? Easy
to replace?

I see what you mean by diffuser... around here they call it a lense
panel or such. Anyway I believe I even swapped them too or took them
off for no solution. I guess I need to take them off again to be
100% certain. Thanks meanwhile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Diffuser is the plastic cover.

They do make "warm white" and "cool white" bulbs. Maybe they are from
different batches? I see you changed the bulbs. Not sure what else to offer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message
news
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.

try swapping them/ may be different bulb

or ones diffuser may be yellowing

Yep, I did swap them. Before I google it, what is a diffuser? Easy
to replace?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:13:39 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.

Did you buy 4 bulbs the same? Are you saying the colour difference
remains the same when you move bulbs from fixture to fixture?

Is there a difference in the coulour of the "reflector"? I've never
heard of a ballast affecting coulour temperature or perceived light
colour.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:16:11 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Diffuser is the plastic cover.

They do make "warm white" and "cool white" bulbs. Maybe they are from
different batches? I see you changed the bulbs. Not sure what else to offer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Doug" wrote in message
news
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.

try swapping them/ may be different bulb

or ones diffuser may be yellowing

Yep, I did swap them. Before I google it, what is a diffuser? Easy
to replace?

Thanks. I need to go back and revisit it just to be sure. I want to
particularly look at the bulbs more closely. Thanks again !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.

It has nothing to do with the ballast, may have to do with the Kelvin rating
of the bulbs...they come in different Kelvin ratings, higher is bluer; lower
is warmer. Here's a temperature chart, pics on left are common fluorescent
temps.

http://www.soslightbulbs.com/colortemperaturechart.aspx

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.

*If you haven't done this already, get some spray cleaner like Windex or 409
and clean the inside of the fixture. The heat from the bulbs attracts dust
particles and they adhere to the reflective inside surface of the fixture.
You should notice a difference after cleaning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.

It's not a ballast problem. Ballasts don't control the color of a
fluorescent tube.

Fluorescent tubes are made in several different colors. If you just grab
one from the store shelf, it's very likely to be a different color than the
tubes that are now in the fixtures. The best way to see if the tubes are
supposed to be the same color is to check the markings or lamp code printed
on the lamp. The color is part of that lamp code. So, if the lamp codes
are all exactly the same, they're all the same color.

For example, a 4-foot GE fluorescent tube 1 inch in diameter might be marked
as an F32T8/SP30/ECO. The color part of that lamp code is the "SP30". But
each manufacturer uses a different system for designating color.

The diffusers or lenses that cover the tubes can indeed fade or change color
(they usually turn yellow). Cleaning won't change that. But they can be
replaced if the fixtures are of a common make. To check for color shift,
just open the fixture or remove the diffuser and look through it to see if
colors look different.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 6 months ago I had to change some older style (larger diameter)
fluorescent bulbs (about 3 or 4 foot long as I recall) in my kitchen.
I have 2 pair and each pair are installed in their own housing. I
noticed even after changing the bulbs all around and plastic lenses
covering them, that it seems that the bulbs in one housing are always
yellower than the other (which is more white). Is this a ballast
problem? They seem to all turn on okay.

Eventually I will get back into that fixture to check the bulbs. Many
of you convinced me it's not the ballast so either it's the diffuser /
panel or it's the bulb. Too many to thank in this thread so please
allow this post to say thanks to all of you..... sorry if I didn't put
all the names here grin. Appreciate it guys !!!!

Kitchen Lighting Usenet Nutter UK diy 25 October 17th 09 01:26 PM
Kitchen Lighting (another) John UK diy 3 February 9th 09 07:31 AM
kitchen lighting: track system with pendant lighting [email protected] UK diy 4 October 30th 06 11:02 PM
LED kitchen lighting whisky-dave UK diy 7 October 3rd 06 11:30 AM
Kitchen Lighting [email protected] Home Repair 7 November 8th 05 02:28 AM