Posted to alt.home.repair

Default K.I.S.S.

Buddy called me over the weekend. Came home after a three day trip to
a 48 degree house.

Breaker wasn't tripped and he used the thermostat to put the blower on
but no heat (forced air furnace).

I told him to cut the power for ten minutes to try and reset the
board. Then told him to look for the ignitor and see if it was
glowing. After 20 minutes on the phone he found it but said he
couldn't get a good view or follow the wires. He decided to cal the
guy who left a sticker on the furnace...

Guy asked him if the breaker was tripped then if the red light on the
board was glowing, those two things were OK so he came out. Wallked
in the house and jumped out the thermostat and the furnace fired right
up. $300 isn't so bad to get thermostat installed at 11:30 on a
Friday night...

Today I found out that when he had called me he used the Auto/On
switch to get the blower running not the temperature control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 1:40*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

So you're saying that the repair guy replaced a working thermostat?

Do you think he was an idiot or unethical?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 1:46*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So you're saying that the repair guy replaced a working thermostat?

No. The thermostat was bad and needed to be replaced. When he told me
the fan was running I didn't even think of the thermostat because he
said he could turn the fan on and off using the thermostat. I'm
saying I should've known better...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 2:15*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 9, 1:46*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So you're saying that the repair guy replaced a working thermostat?

No. The thermostat was bad and needed to be replaced. *When he told me
the fan was running I didn't even think of the thermostat because he
said he could turn the fan on and off using the thermostat. *I'm
saying I should've known better...

Oh... I thought you meant he set the Auto/On fan switch to On and was
wondering why he had no heat, i.e. user error.

Well thanks for being so honest/humble. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 1:27*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 9, 2:15*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:

On Jan 9, 1:46*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So you're saying that the repair guy replaced a working thermostat?

No. The thermostat was bad and needed to be replaced. *When he told me
the fan was running I didn't even think of the thermostat because he
said he could turn the fan on and off using the thermostat. *I'm
saying I should've known better...

Oh... I thought you meant he set the Auto/On fan switch to On and was
wondering why he had no heat, i.e. user error.

Well thanks for being so honest/humble. *;-)

Now we have to figure out what was wrong with the thermostat. Some
have an intenal battery, that's what comes to my mind. Others??

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, why didn't the HVAC guy check the switch positions?

I remember getting a call one time from a guy who wanted to have AC
installed. I looked at the system. There was copper, and an outdoor unit,
and...... So, I flipped a switch on the stat, and the AC came on. Returned
military vet, so I let him off really gently for the invoice.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..