Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:04:38 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

This is my first time installing cat5 cable in my house and I am unsure
how to connect to RJ45 jacks that I need to put in the wall.

I've installed a WISP antenna 75 feet from the house & will be routing
the outdoor cat5 cable into the middle of the house (another 25 or so
feet) - but I have a few 'design' questions I'd like to ask those more
experienced than I am.

Pictured here is what I have in the wall in the middle of the house:
http://picturepush.com/public/7212874
or
www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7212874/1024/Anonymous/cat5-questions.gif

I'm not sure if it's best to route the wire all the way from the antenna
to the middle of the house (about 75 feet to the house and another 25 or
30 feet zig-zagging to the crawl space and then up to the newly drilled
hole at the wall).

I'm going to put a wall plate at the wall in the middle of the house; but
should I also put a wall plate where the wire enters the house?

Does breaking the line into sections degrade the signal?

If I do put a wall plate at the entrance to the house, I'll likely put
the POE (power over ethernet) at the wall inside the house (otherwise it
will go in the middle of the house next to the WRT54G router).

When I put a wall plate in the middle of the house, would you add a
second female jack (just in case for future use?). Or does that also
degrade the signal?

In summary, I'm not sure if I should strive to keep the line intact and
how I should terminate it.

Any advice?

The short answer is yes, you should keep the segment in one piece if
at all [possible. Each connection can degrade the signal.

If you want to split the cable where it enters the building best
practice would be to install an active switch (if you are running
ethernet) at the entrance - you can go 285 feet (some say 100 meters,
but that's stretching it) on both sides of the switch, and up to 4
switches in "series"

Terminate with cat5 or cat5e spec RJ45 jacks or plugs. (plug on end of
cable goung ito and out of switch, jack in wall)