Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Testing dollhouse circuits and bulbs

My multimeter arrived today. I cannot get to the wiring underneath the
dollhouse because there is paint and glue drying. ;-)

I tried to get a voltage reading at the light sockets inside the doll
house. I could not get a consistent reading. The space is very cramped
and the sockets very small (3/8"). I seemed to get a better reading on
DC than AC. The DC readings jumped all over the place, but it looked
like between 0.9 and 1.1 v. The AC readings jumped around even more. The
most consistent reading was 6v at one socket.

Is there a way using this meter to tell if the current is AC or DC?

Next, I did a continuity test of the bulbs themselves. Of the 12 bulbs I
removed from the house, only one passed the continuity test.

I then tried a resistance test on the bulbs. The one that passed the
continuity test showed 11 ohms of resistence. The rest showed infinite
resistance.

I then took the good bulb and tried it in several sockets. After
fiddling with the button switches, I was able to get it to light in
several sockets. It was very dim.

When everything dries, I will try to get under the house and see if I
can get better readings.

Any comments or suggestions?

What would cause light bulbs to blow out (like a flame) and to bedim for a few minutes on certain circuits? Harold Lathom Home Repair 42 March 24th 11 07:17 PM
RCD Testing Lighting circuits [email protected] UK diy 6 March 28th 08 09:43 PM
How It's Made - Dollhouse J T Woodworking 2 July 12th 07 05:41 PM
DOLLHOUSE BOOKCASE J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 06 01:07 AM
metal halide bulbs testing? Steve Vitale Electronics Repair 4 October 30th 04 09:02 PM