Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Church Uses Baby Monitor To Help Nab Suspected Copper Thieves

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...opper-thieves/

UPDATE: Church Uses Baby Monitor To Help Nab Suspected Copper Thieves

December 2, 2011 1:30 PM

Members of a Carmichael church that had been targeted by copper thieves
for two nights in a row managed to help nab the suspected thieves when
the greedy pair returned for a third night.

Just hours after a report by CBS13’s Tony Lopez on the repeated copper
theft at the church aired, the alleged suspects returned to the scene of
the crime, but this time, church officials were prepared.

They set up a baby monitor on top of the Carmichael Bible Church at 7100
Fair Oaks Blvd., hooked it up to a monitor and VCR, and took shifts
watching it.

Around 4:30 Friday morning, more than six hours into the overnight
stakeout, the alleged thieves returned and Pastor Jeff Livingston was
watching. He saw the suspects return, alerted other members of the
church and called authorities.

Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputies arrived shortly thereafter and
arrested the pair, identified Friday as Curtis Darnell, 36, and Howard
Sanders, 26.

Howard Sanders, 26, left, and Curtis Darnell, 36
http://cbssacramento.files.wordpress...per-thefts.jpg

Detectives are currently trying to determine if the two are responsible
for the previous break-ins.
copper thefts UPDATE: Church Uses Baby Monitor To Help Nab Suspected
Copper Thieves

“Like an adrenaline rush, ‘Hey guys come out here, come out here,
they’re there,” Pastor Jeff told CBS13. “I believe that justice is
served to the wicked. Sometimes we see that and sometimes we don’t. This
time we got to be a part of it happening, so it feels good.”

The church is without heat right now because thieves grabbed copper from
the heating and cooling system.

The suspects spent the first night preparing for the costly theft by
draining the Freon out of the machines and tore out as much copper as
they could carry on the second night.

When the thieves left behind tools, church officials were concerned that
they may return for a third night and put their plan into place.

The damage will likely add up to more than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2011 1:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
[...]

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 12/4/2011 1:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...opper-thieves/
The damage will likely add up to more than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts
of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads.
^_^

TDD

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of
misdemeanor parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sigmund Freud" wrote in
b.com:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 12/4/2011 1:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...aby-monitor-to
-nab-suspected-copper-thieves/ The damage will likely add up to more
than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts
of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads.
^_^

TDD

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of
misdemeanor parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

And the f'n insurance company calls each incident a separate incident,
nailing the church for the deductable each time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Sigmund Freud" wrote in
b.com:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 12/4/2011 1:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...aby-monitor-to
-nab-suspected-copper-thieves/ The damage will likely
add up to more
than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony
counts
of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads.
^_^

TDD

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of
misdemeanor parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

And the f'n insurance company calls each incident a
separate incident,
nailing the church for the deductable each time.

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sigmund Freud" wrote in
b.com:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Sigmund Freud" wrote in
b.com:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 12/4/2011 1:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...-baby-monitor-
to -nab-suspected-copper-thieves/ The damage will likely
add up to more
than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony
counts
of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads.
^_^

TDD

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of
misdemeanor parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

And the f'n insurance company calls each incident a
separate incident,
nailing the church for the deductable each time.

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

Can you see in the future a question on the insurance application form
"How much copper do you have?"

Or maybe copper thefts are not covered unless you buy a Copper Rider.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/11 06:18 pm, Sigmund Freud wrote:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...opper-thieves/

The damage will likely add up to more than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads. ^_^

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of misdemeanor
parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the ****ers.

But the jails are already too full of convicts for victimless crimes
and/or whose public defender was allocated insufficient time and resources.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:18:08 -0500, "Sigmund Freud" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 12/4/2011 1:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...opper-thieves/
The damage will likely add up to more than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts
of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads.
^_^

TDD

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of
misdemeanor parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

It's actually pretty easy to stop it.

1) Require ID to sell scrap (and dealers to record ID info)
2) Take picture and/or thumb print of sellers
3) Require buyers to pay by check

It worked around here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/11 06:18 pm, Sigmund Freud wrote:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...opper-thieves/

The damage will likely add up to more than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads. ^_^

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of misdemeanor
parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the ****ers.

But the jails are already too full of convicts for victimless crimes
and/or whose public defender was allocated insufficient time and resources.

Perce

Jail? Who said anything about jail.
Just execute them.
Not like we actually need thieves, do we? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:49:42 -0500, "Sigmund Freud"
wrote:

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

What about ONE claim for theft over two nights?

Who said the church filed claims already?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:15:00 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads. ^_^

TDD

"White Trash" had nothing to do with this theft. They were/are both
crack/meth heads. :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

What about ONE claim for theft over two nights?

Who said the church filed claims already?

How about letting the victims destroy the thief's property while the
cops make it watch. Let them demolish his/her/its house and vehicles so
he/she/it may learn a lesson. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads. ^_^

TDD

"White Trash" had nothing to do with this theft. They were/are both
crack/meth heads. :-/

Actually I have to apologize to White Trash, those guys are really CTW,
"Caucasian Toxic Waste". ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:40:26 -0500, "
wrote:

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

Water boarding is not punishment...

It's actually pretty easy to stop it.

1) Require ID to sell scrap (and dealers to record ID info)
2) Take picture and/or thumb print of sellers
3) Require buyers to pay by check

It worked around here.

Those methods are used here locally. Police are actively involved in
monitoring sale of material to scrap yards.

Copy of ID, thumb print and checks for anything over ten dollars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 3:15*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
[...]

Each Wednesday our local paper prints a couple of pages full of
pictures of local people recently convicted of some type of crime.

When our kids were much younger, we used to grab the paper at
lunchtime and vote on which of the "various color" Trash crack/meth
heads we planned to use as babysitters. Obviously, the nastiest,
scariest, meth-headiest guy would always win.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:48:32 -0500, Betelgeuse

On 12/04/11 06:18 pm, Sigmund Freud wrote:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...opper-thieves/

The damage will likely add up to more than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads. ^_^

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of misdemeanor
parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the ****ers.

But the jails are already too full of convicts for victimless crimes
and/or whose public defender was allocated insufficient time and resources.

Perce

Jail? Who said anything about jail.
Just execute them.
Not like we actually need thieves, do we? ;-)

Perhaps the muslims have it right. Cut off their hands?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 22:50:24 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

How about armed parishoners, and beat and stab and shoot the copper thieves
to death?

Works for me but if you want to stop it, deal with the market.

wrote in message
.. .

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

It's actually pretty easy to stop it.

1) Require ID to sell scrap (and dealers to record ID info)
2) Take picture and/or thumb print of sellers
3) Require buyers to pay by check

It worked around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the ****ers.

But the jails are already too full of convicts for victimless crimes
and/or whose public defender was allocated insufficient time and
resources.

Regrettably, you are correct.

But there is a simple solution: More jails, prisons, and Devil's Islands.

And before anyone can claim "Those things cost us, the taxpayers, more
money!" consider that allowing these felons loose, on the street, costs
more. More in stolen property, more in physical injury, more in insurance
premiums, and just more terror.

By locking them up, it could even be a money-maker! In Texas, it costs the
Texas taxpayer about $50/day to keep a felon confined. I think the number in
California is something like $130/day. Texas could charge California
$100/day to house California's overflow prisoners and both states would come
out ahead! Heck, California could close ALL its prisons and eliminate its
budget shortfalls.

Texas costs:
http://www.texaspolicy.com/pdf/2008-...sBudget-ml.pdf

California costs ($47,000/365 = $128.76/day)
http://www.lao.ca.gov/laoapp/laomenu...t.aspx?catid=3

One reason Texas has such a low cost prison system is that prisoners grow
virtually all their own food - except for a few oddities such as pepper and
coffee. They raise their own beef, chickens, and hogs. They make their own
ketchup! In addition, they grow their own cotton, weave their own cloth, and
make such things as prison uniforms and mattress ticking. You can imagine
the scale of operation, just in feeding 160,000 people three squares a day
(I've eaten prison food. Is good.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-05, HeyBub wrote:

Regrettably, you are correct.

But there is a simple solution: More jails, prisons, and Devil's Islands.

I guess we could quit imprisoning ppl who commit victimless crimes.
But, think of all the ppl that would throw out of work.

By locking them up, it could even be a money-maker!

Money-maker, Hell! ...it's an industry. Publicly traded, no less.
Increase yer dividends, jail more ppl!

(I've eaten prison food. Is good.)

Yer on yer own on that one. I've no experience.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They set up a baby monitor on top of the Carmichael Bible Church at 7100
Fair Oaks Blvd., hooked it up to a monitor and VCR, and took shifts
watching it.

I thought baby monitors were only audio? *I guess they must have
improved them recently....

Video monitors have been around for many years.

Here's just one example.

http://bychai.net/images/wirelessbabymonitorz.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 3:18*pm, "Sigmund Freud" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

On 12/4/2011 1:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/...aby-monitor-to....
The damage will likely add up to more than $50,000.

Sanders and Darnell were each charged with felony counts
of vandalism,
grand theft and criminal conspiracy.

They look like a couple of White Trash crack/meth heads.
^_^

TDD

The problem is that they'll plea them down to a couple of
misdemeanor parking tickets and let them go.

Copper theft won't stop until we actually punish the
****ers.

It won't stop even then. Only a small percentage of the *******s ever
get caught.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

What about ONE claim for theft over two nights?

Who said the church filed claims already?

How about letting the victims destroy the thief's property while the
cops make it watch. Let them demolish his/her/its house and vehicles so
he/she/it may learn a lesson. ^_^

TDD

From what I hae seen of the scum going to jail (I was a corrections
officer for 15 years) none of them have any property worth destroying
- vehicle not worth the salvage value, house that is rented, etc.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2011 9:49 AM, Harry K wrote:

wrote:

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

What about ONE claim for theft over two nights?

Who said the church filed claims already?

How about letting the victims destroy the thief's property while the
cops make it watch. Let them demolish his/her/its house and vehicles so
he/she/it may learn a lesson. ^_^

TDD

From what I hae seen of the scum going to jail (I was a corrections
officer for 15 years) none of them have any property worth destroying
- vehicle not worth the salvage value, house that is rented, etc.

Harry K

Then flush their crack/meth/pot down the toilet while they watch. Of
course you could get someone to drink all their beer/booze in front of
them too. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 07:49:57 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

wrote:

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

What about ONE claim for theft over two nights?

Who said the church filed claims already?

How about letting the victims destroy the thief's property while the
cops make it watch. Let them demolish his/her/its house and vehicles so
he/she/it may learn a lesson. ^_^

TDD

From what I hae seen of the scum going to jail (I was a corrections
officer for 15 years) none of them have any property worth destroying
- vehicle not worth the salvage value, house that is rented, etc.

Harry K

That's changing with the Makoffs and the Blacks - who admitedly don't
stay in long enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And because the church had 2 claims in 6 months, the
insurance co will send a cancellation notice.

What about ONE claim for theft over two nights?

Who said the church filed claims already?

How about letting the victims destroy the thief's property while the
cops make it watch. Let them demolish his/her/its house and vehicles so
he/she/it may learn a lesson. ^_^

TDD

*From what I hae seen of the scum going to jail (I was a corrections
officer for 15 years) none of them have any property worth destroying
- vehicle not worth the salvage value, house that is rented, etc.

Harry K

Then flush their crack/meth/pot down the toilet while they watch. Of
course you could get someone to drink all their beer/booze in front of
them too. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I'll volunteer for the last one. Speaking of, I got sent to the jail
basement on a 'destroy the alchol evidence', i.e., open cans, bust
bottles and pour down the drain. They were clearing out the evidence
storage room and it must have been years since it was done. The stink
in there afterward almost made me swear off beer.

Harry K