Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator plugs

I've got an older generator with a 3-prong 240V outlet on it. L6-30R

My house has a bypass panel installed with 4-pin 240V plug on it.
L14-30P

I need to make an adapter cable.

So at the generator I have the two hots and a ground. At the house I
have two hots, ground, and a neutral.

Do I tape off the neutral, or bug it to the ground at the generator
end of the adapter cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It does not really mater as at the house, the ground and neutral wire are
going to the same place. If the generator socket ground is connected to the
frame of the generator, you are ok. Make sure the generator ground is also
neutral to the 240 of the generator. There may not be a neutral for the 240
volt socket, but a ground to the frame of the generator.

I have a 5 kw generator that the 240 socket ( one with three holes) is
grounded to the frame and also a neutral. The manual shows this as not
correct, but that the 240 socket is ground is the frame of the generator and
there is no neutral wire. If a neutral wire is desired, I was suspose to
connect one of the 120 volt sockets neutral wires to the ground hole of that
socket That was done by making a special 120 volt plug that had the
neutral and ground connectred by a wire.
This must have been a production change as I opened up the socket on the
generator to check it out.

wrote in message
I've got an older generator with a 3-prong 240V outlet on it. L6-30R

My house has a bypass panel installed with 4-pin 240V plug on it.
L14-30P

I need to make an adapter cable.

So at the generator I have the two hots and a ground. At the house I
have two hots, ground, and a neutral.

Do I tape off the neutral, or bug it to the ground at the generator
end of the adapter cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
No

wrote in message
I've got an older generator with a 3-prong 240V outlet on
it. L6-30R

My house has a bypass panel installed with 4-pin 240V plug
on it.
L14-30P

I need to make an adapter cable.

So at the generator I have the two hots and a ground. At
the house I
have two hots, ground, and a neutral.

Do I tape off the neutral, or bug it to the ground at the
generator
end of the adapter cable?

Is your SEND button stuck?

Posted to alt.home.repair

How many & how young is his wife ,wifes? Sounds like stormy is confused
again !

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/LighthouseLamp