Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet Cleaning business equipment/questions

"Ron" wrote:
Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:19:17 -0500, "Ron" wrote:

I am seriously considering starting a small carpet cleaning business
and I am in the middle of doing research about it. Basically, I
wouldn't be doing the actual carpet cleaning myself. Instead, I
would be funding and setting up the business and I would own it, but
I would be using a friend of mine to do the actual work of taking
the calls and doing the carpet cleaning. Once it is set up, I only
expect that he would be doing the carpet cleaning jobs part time,
maybe 1 job every couple of weeks in the beginning, and then
building up to possibly 1 or 2 jobs a week. Also, this would ONLY
be a carpet cleaning business -- not a cleaning business in general,
and not a fire restoration business etc. -- just a guy with carpet
cleaning equipment who cleans carpets.

One place I have gotten some ideas about how to get started is at
http://carpetcleaningentrepreneur.com/ and
http://familyunlimitedopp.com/90-day-action-plan . I don't know who
this website person, but he does seem to provide a lot of
information. I also get the feeling that he sells something ("How
To" DVD's or website services or something), but I don't see
anything on any of his web pages that says what he sells or how to
buy it. So, maybe he is just providing free information about how to
start a carpet cleaning business.

I have a lot of questions, but one is from the videos that I saw.
Is it true that a good quality portable professional steam
extraction carpet cleaning machine is sufficient for a small carpet
cleaning business and it will do just as good (or almost as good) of
a job as a truck mounted machine?

Also, any other thoughts, suggestions, questions, or ideas about the
carpet cleaning business would be appreciated.

Thank you

This has the smell of spam all over it.

It is definitely not spam. I am the OP and I have no interest in posting
spam or submitting any troll posts.

With regard to the links that I posted, I don't know who that person is, and
even though I get the "feeling" that he must be selling something, I can't
find where he has anything for sale anywhere. I watched all of the videos
and I looked at the whole website and I don't see where there is anything to
buy or anyone for me to send money to. I also submitted my anonymous and
fake-name email to the website and I haven't gotten anything back asking me
to buy anything. If you see anything for sale there, please clue me in
because I haven't found it.

The main reason why I posted those links are because: a) I don't see
anything actually for sale there; and, b) because he keeps saying how people
who start a carpet cleaning business do not need a truck mounted unit and
only need to buy a good quality portable carpet cleaning machine. So, I
wanted to ask about that last part -- that a portable unit is fine for
someone starting out and allegedly works just as well (or almost just as
well) as a truck mounted unit.

Had a steamer come in once. Maybe Lukewarm at best. I thought steaming
could damage carpeting, foam, and wood.

Greg