DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/332161-ot-amazon-begin-charging-state-sales-tax.html)

Han November 26th 11 01:32 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

" wrote in
:

It won't happen. No incentive.

We'll see ...

--
Best regards
Han

BobR November 26th 11 03:07 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 25, 1:35*am, G. Morgan wrote:
BobR wrote:
I am convinced that YOU are incapable of solving this very simple
problem that just because you are stupid doesn't mean that everyone
else is. *Hell, this isn't even a very difficult problem with the
information that is easily available to anyone with an honest desire
to find it and use it. *Most internet companies just simply don't want
to bother, they have an advantage and they want to keep it. *Well ****
THEM and you to

This is not a "very simple" problem. *Getting the exact sales tax
percent for the delivery address is not in any database I know of. Even
if the data was readily available, there is no current way of
implementing it with off-the-shelf 'shopping cart' software. *If the
software could do it by a database lookup (would have to be zip+4),
that's only one hurdle overcome.

How does the small-time merchant get the tax monies to the state it was
collected for? *Are we expected to get sales/use certificates in every
damn state? *Do they expect that 'we' small merchants file a quarterly
return in every state? *I have a hard enough time doing it for the feds
and Texas every 3 months, there is no way in hell I could do that x50.

It may be just the "big" guys now like Amazon, but they will eventually
try to get all the tax revenue they can. I'm not going to do that unless
they make it 2-click easy (and free).

The way it stands now, it would actually be illegal for me to collect
tax in any state besides my home state. I have one sales/use tax permit,
and its only valid in Texas. *If I collected sales tax without a permit
I could go to prison for interstate fraud/theft. If I don't charge tax,
they can do nothing to me or my business. (as it stands today)
oen
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan *(Colbert Report)

Then you shouldn't be allowed to sell anything to anyone outside of
the one area where you have the permit. Just because YOU don't know
of a solution doesn't mean that it hasn't been solved many times
over.

BobR November 26th 11 03:10 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 24, 10:10*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:31:53 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 24, 3:55*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:10:57 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 24, 11:26*am, "
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:30:33 -0500, George wrote:
On 11/23/2011 5:27 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:06:34 -0500, *wrote:

I (and several others) have already explained why the postal address is
useless for accurately determining sales tax jurisdiction. *If you don't care
to read (or can't) that's not my problem.

Really, please identify where I claimed a ZIP code is sufficient.

Are you actually capable of a dialogue or just juvenile insults?

When you show that you're capable of reading, I'll stop calling you an
imbecile. *Truth hurts, too bad.

I guess you pretty much answered his question. *Nothing but juvenile
insults.

Ah, I hurt your feelings too. *Don't worry, Barak will take care of you, too.- Hide quoted text -

You aren't capable of hurting my feelings, you have no significance.

Yet you can't resist answering. *Got it

You say that I can't resist answering but maybe you should count the
number of posts that you have made compared to mine. Seems you can't
resist showing your ignorance over and over and over and over.....

STOP already, we are convinced! You are ignorant.

BobR November 26th 11 03:16 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 25, 7:40*am, Han wrote:
G. Morgan wrote :

We don't have a state income tax in TX, but you can *deduct* itemized
sales tax paid from your federal return (or take the default amount).

I know, but we are talking about charging sales tax by (little) companies..
When the immunity from charging salestax to an out of state customer is
lifted, the companies (big or little) will need to know how much to charge
to Joe Bloe in East Overshoes in some other state, plus which agency to
remit that to. *I was saying that a national database relying on zip+4
could probably do that fairly easily, and I'd say that most states would be
willing to fund that database.

--
Best regards
Han

It could easily be handled by a clearling house that would not only
maintain the database for determination of tax amount but could handle
the consolidation of the funds for accounting to both the taxing
entities and the business owners.

BobR November 26th 11 03:23 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 25, 10:40*am, G. Morgan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:59:34 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm not sure how it works
in other states or even in PA today (it has been over 35 years since I
collected taxes) but for the 5% collected, I kept 1% for my fee and
remitted 4% to the state. *On a few million $$$ in sales, that 1%
would cover some software costs.

Huh? *You helped yourself to a percent for your "fee"? *I don't think
that would fly here and now. That is stealing.

phone rings

me Hello, may I help you?

comptroller Yes, Mr. Morgan this is the state comptroller. *Your tax
remittance was incorrect.

me Really? By how much?

comptroller Well, it looks like you only charged 4% but the rate is 5%

me Yeah, I kept 1% for my 'fee'

I just followed the instructions. *The "fee" was not my idea, it was
what the state gave you for the expense of collecting. *How is that
stealing?

I've never heard of them letting you keep a 'fee' for your effort.
Either I'm getting screwed, or the law is different in your state.

That has been in existance for at least 40 years in Texas. The state
is expecting the business to perform a service for the state and the
state is paying for that service.

--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
We're going to kill you first, period."

October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan *(Colbert Report)- Hide quoted text -

Ed Pawlowski November 26th 11 03:38 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:20:21 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But that guy is not going to collect the tax. In it not trivial, it
is non-existent. The states are not going after him. Notice how the
subject line says "Amazon", not tiny book seller.

But it doesn't specifically exempt him either. You think in the state of
Indiana, for instance, that they only collect from the Big Box stores?

But they only collect from stores in Indiana. They get zillch from
the guy in Wyoming, Nebraska, and the other 47 states. You are making
problem scenarios where none exist. Right now, he is exempt.

Michael A. Terrell November 26th 11 03:42 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:59:21 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
" wrote:
??
?? On 25 Nov., 10:02, "HeyBub" ? wrote:
?? ? wrote:
?? ?
?? ? ? it seem ok enough that amazon have the unfair advantage, of paying no
?? ? ? saletax,
?? ? ? over local shops just because they sell stuff over the internet and
?? ? ? not over the counter
?? ?
?? ? It seems unfair that a local store can supply the merchandise immediately
?? ? when one has to wait three days for that same merchandise to arrive from
?? ? Amazon. To be "fair," the local brick and mortar store should be required to
?? ? hold the merchandise, much like a lay-away, for at least a couple of days to
?? ? ensure "fairness."
??
?? well then in exchange for the waiting time you should have to pay sale
?? tax
?? then it would be fair
??
?? ?
?? ? Of course if you needed another box of nails, a replacement for a broken
?? ? drill-bit, or a water pump for your car, you might be slightly
?? ? inconvenienced by waiting a few days, but at least the universe would take a
?? ? big step toward fairness.
?? ?
?? ? It's for the children.
??
?? that is if you are lucky enough that there's still a shop to go to and
?? it hasn't
?? been closed because it didn't sell anything because every one bought
?? stuff online
?? to avoid the sales tax
?
?
? I only shopped mail order or online for what I couldn't get locally,
?or it was so damned overpriced that I wouldn't. I needed a 10' HDMI
?cable recently. $3.49 delivered, or $49.99 local, and both were made in
?China.

So you managed to avoid paying about $3.00 in sales tax..

I 'managed' to get the cable my dad needed faster, and the length I
needed to move a TV away from a doorway where either he or my step
mother would have run into it and hurt themselves. I don't owe the
local merchant anything. They are very lazy about marking prices,
expecting you to take it to the register to find out the costs. I did
pay sales tax on the cable I bought, since it was shipped to me from
within in state.

Michael A. Terrell November 26th 11 03:47 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

HeyBub wrote:

It's not luck - it's competition. There's a Stop 'N Rob on every street
corner. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a box of corn flakes in the next twenty
minutes, paying $6.00 for the box is of secondary importance.

Or go to Dollar Tree and get it for $1. I just bought five bags
there. I recently bought six cases of Progresso soup there. Winn-Dixie
wants $2.59 a can. That was a savings of $114.48 on 72 cans. The two
stores are only a couple hundred feet apart.

Michael A. Terrell November 26th 11 03:48 AM

"G. Morgan" wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

?On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:59:21 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:
?
??
" wrote:
???
??? On 25 Nov., 10:02, "HeyBub" ? wrote:
??? ? wrote:
??? ?
[...]

And the $46.50 difference in the price, knucklehead!

Less the $.15 Florida & county sales tax.

Ed Pawlowski November 26th 11 03:50 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 26 Nov 2011 01:30:59 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

You (NY media) get a very different story than the rest of the country.

Town had to let go police officers, cut library hours, and a whole lot
more because of Christie. Both daughter and son are high school teachers.
But we have already gone over the problem whether good teachers are under-
or overpaid.

I'm not sure how that relates to Christie. Do you get state funding
for that stuff? Our town police are paid by the town taxes. The
governor has nothing to do with it. Want more cops? Raise more
taxes.

Here's a good one. . . .
The other day I was mistakenly sent an email from a nearby town
library director. Must have been a typo to a similar address. The
gist of it was, they want to spend $5000 to have the author of a
gardening book come and give a talk. This is a town with a population
of about 5000 people. She was soliciting comments. She also stated
they may be getting a grant for about 10K and would use half that
money.

Of course, I took the opportunity to give my opinion. In this
economy, can a small town library afford to spend that much on one
author? I thought it was fiscal irresponsibility to do so. Maybe
$500 would be OK.

There is also an author that is willing to come for free. Now, let me
think about this, free or $5000/ what to do?

Ed Pawlowski November 26th 11 04:57 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:34:08 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Even if a retailer COULD do it (which I doubt), there's still the question
of whether he SHOULD, or, more specifically, whether a law should force him
to do so.

The brick and mortar stores agitating for a nation-wide law overlook one
thing: Their state will get more money and the state will use that money to
increase their meddling with the populace in general and the small retailer
in particular.

We know it can be done because some sellers are already doing it. Not
a big deal.

It is really one big ethics question. If buyers paid the use tax due,
it would not be an issue. Is it fair that you have to pay more in
taxes because your neighbor buys over the internet and pays none?

If you walked into a store and there was a $5 bill on the counter,
would you take it? Is that stealing?

If you walk into the Dept of Revenue and there was a $5 bill on the
counter at the window, would you take it? It that stealing?

If you buy a $100 gizmo over the internet and pay no tax, is that
stealing? And everyone takes it. Most pat themselves on the back
because they are so smart to evade the tax.

Choose the conclusion:
1. morals are variable with the situation
2. morals do not apply to the government
3. morals do not apply if I can save a few bucks
4. morals define my character and are always upheld

Michael A. Terrell November 26th 11 05:04 AM

wrote:

I only shopped mail order or online for what I couldn't get locally,
or it was so damned overpriced that I wouldn't. I needed a 10' HDMI
cable recently. $3.49 delivered, or $49.99 local, and both were made in
China.

HDMI cables are one of the biggest rip-offs of the consumer ever. I
bought a bunch on line for about $3.50. Every time a friend said he
was going to buy a new gadget, I gave him a cable so he would not get
ripped for big bucks.

Of course, if it is a Monster Cable with no oxygen in the copper . . .

You don't like green wire? :)

G. Morgan[_9_] November 26th 11 05:30 AM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you buy a $100 gizmo over the internet and pay no tax, is that
stealing? And everyone takes it. Most pat themselves on the back
because they are so smart to evade the tax.

Its not a moral issue, dippy. I would probably continue to buy online if
I had to pay sales tax. Careful throwing words like "tax-evasion"
around. It is not a crime to shop online. It is a felony to actually
commit "tax-evasion", so let's not use that term.

Choose the conclusion:
1. morals are variable with the situation
2. morals do not apply to the government
3. morals do not apply if I can save a few bucks
4. morals define my character and are always upheld

5. Shopping online is convenient, safe, and costs less. Morals don't
enter the into the equation at any point in the buying process.

And I will add: if I were offered a choice to *voluntarily* pay sales
tax, I'd decline! (so would you, Mr. Morals)

Ed Pawlowski November 26th 11 05:46 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:30:59 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

So, calling me names makes you right? You have a legal obligation to
pay a "use tax". If you are not paying it, you are evading it. Don't
take my word for it, check with your lawyer or the state Attorney
General

Why don't you want to use that term? It may be a felony, but if you
are not paying the use tax, you are committing a crime. I see, should
I put you down for the "variable morals" answer?

h[_11_] November 26th 11 06:59 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:42:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:38:08 -0500, George
wrote:

I do think that tax collectors shouldn't need need to incur any
additional expense. So the taxing body needs to cover the cost of the
database.

I don't know how it works today, but years ago, I kept a portion of
the tax collected as my fee. On big sellers, it would cover costs. I'm
sure it varies by state though.

I collected for NY from 76 to 84 or so. I never got squat for the
paperwork.

The way the tax tables were set up it might cost me a few cents to
have the pleasure of serving my state & counties.

The "credit" I receive on my NY state sales tax never once covered the
postage stamp. Now, at least, I only have to file once a year instead of
quarterly and it's done online.

h[_11_] November 26th 11 07:04 AM

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

The "fee" in NY that I get to keep is .001% or something like that. I
usually get to keep about 7 cents on my annual return. BY NO MEANS is it 1%.

HeyBub[_3_] November 26th 11 11:11 AM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I've run bookfairs involving hundreds of authors over the years. Here's a
short list:
* Eli Wiesel
* Chiam Potok
* Judith Martin (Miss Manners)
* Leon Uris
* Alan Dershowitz
* Ellen Goodman
* Erica Jong
* Charles Pfeiffer
* Judy Blume
* Sid Caesar
* Bernard Kalb
* Red Auerbach
* David Broder
* Gerald Posner
* Johanna Hurwitz
* And many, many, more

The bookfairs paid not a single penny for their appearance. All expenses
were covered by the publishers.

HeyBub[_3_] November 26th 11 11:26 AM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Of course, if it is a Monster Cable with no oxygen in the copper . . .
. . .

I commend for your consideration a letter from the head of Tartan Cables (a
recovering lawyer) in response to a "Cease & Desist" demand from Monster
Cable. It begins:

"Dear Monster Lawyers,

"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest
whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster
Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's,
in form or in function, the better."

In the body of the letter, one finds:

"Let me be clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything
out of me. You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed,
or (2) obtain a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent
jurisdiction. It may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of
settling frivolous claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of
the insurance carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but
it is how I have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not
going to change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I
will hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak
more precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish.
Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."

It's a long letter, but if you, like me, take some perverse pleasure in
seeing the bully get his comeuppance, it's an entertaining one.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...s-strikes-back

Gunner Asch[_6_] November 26th 11 01:05 PM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 22:47:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

It's not luck - it's competition. There's a Stop 'N Rob on every street
corner. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a box of corn flakes in the next twenty
minutes, paying $6.00 for the box is of secondary importance.

Or go to Dollar Tree and get it for $1. I just bought five bags
there. I recently bought six cases of Progresso soup there. Winn-Dixie
wants $2.59 a can. That was a savings of $114.48 on 72 cans. The two
stores are only a couple hundred feet apart.

I eat a lot of Spam..the potted meat, along with canned Corned Beef.

Most stores sell Spam for $2.49-3.00 a can. Thats 1.40-2.00 higher than
I buy it at the dollar stores.

A considerable savings

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Han November 26th 11 01:20 PM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

[...]

No comment on your nearby library seminar honorarium, other than that it
seems out of line for a "talk". At least, the Bergen County Genealogical
Society doesn't pay anything like that, says a member of the board (not
me).

For Christie, it was easy. Firstly, state aid was greatly reduced due to
the budget crisis in NJ. Secondly a 2% cap on increases in local budgets
was enacted as part of a compromise state budget bill. There were some
ways to get local hardships to get excused from the 2% cap, but that
wasn't easy.

--
Best regards
Han

Ed Pawlowski November 26th 11 01:21 PM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 05:11:10 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I've run bookfairs involving hundreds of authors over the years. Here's a
short list:
* Eli Wiesel
* Chiam Potok
* Judith Martin (Miss Manners)
* Leon Uris
* Alan Dershowitz
* Ellen Goodman
* Erica Jong
* Charles Pfeiffer
* Judy Blume
* Sid Caesar
* Bernard Kalb
* Red Auerbach
* David Broder
* Gerald Posner
* Johanna Hurwitz
* And many, many, more

The bookfairs paid not a single penny for their appearance. All expenses
were covered by the publishers.

Sounds like it should be that way. Want to sell books? Go see the
potential customers. Sounds like the library does not care about
wasting money.

BobR November 26th 11 02:25 PM

On Nov 25, 11:30*pm, G. Morgan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Then your answer was #1 not #5.

BobR November 26th 11 02:28 PM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 25, 9:42*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:59:21 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
" wrote:
??
?? On 25 Nov., 10:02, "HeyBub" ? wrote:
?? ? wrote:
?? ?
[...]

You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.- Hide quoted text -

Then your issue was with the local vendor and only the local vendor.
That doesn't change the fact that buying on the internet from out of
state vendors that don't collect the sales tax is giving an unfair
advantage to the internet vendor. Amazing that your internet vendor
in state was able to calculate the tax.

Ed Pawlowski November 26th 11 03:16 PM

On 26 Nov 2011 13:20:45 GMT, Han wrote:

For Christie, it was easy. Firstly, state aid was greatly reduced due to
the budget crisis in NJ. Secondly a 2% cap on increases in local budgets
was enacted as part of a compromise state budget bill. There were some
ways to get local hardships to get excused from the 2% cap, but that
wasn't easy.

Tough situation. If you cut state aid, the locals should be able to
do as they please.

Overall, most every state is in a difficult situation. Because of the
economy, taxes are not flowing in the way they should. Businesses and
personal households are cutting back as needed, but the governments
don't want to. Raising taxes is not the answer when people are
struggling to keep afloat. With the cost of oil going up, even those
that are maintaining the same income have higher expenses.

We just can't keep funding the same programs. But, the big questions
is, what do you cut?

George November 26th 11 04:01 PM

On 11/26/2011 2:04 AM, h wrote:

I've never heard of them letting you keep a 'fee' for your effort.
Either I'm getting screwed, or the law is different in your state.

The "fee" in NY that I get to keep is .001% or something like that. I
usually get to keep about 7 cents on my annual return. BY NO MEANS is it 1%.

In NY state it is called the "vendor collection credit" and is 5% of the
tax collected not to exceed $200.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls...ion_credit.htm

If you file annually I would think your gross sales are pretty low. In
PA if sales are more than a few grand/month you must file monthly. In PA
the merchant keeps 1% of the tax remitted to cover collection cost.

George November 26th 11 04:08 PM

wrote:

I do think that tax collectors shouldn't need need to incur any
additional expense. So the taxing body needs to cover the cost of the
database.

I don't know how it works today, but years ago, I kept a portion of
the tax collected as my fee. On big sellers, it would cover costs. I'm
sure it varies by state though.

I collected for NY from 76 to 84 or so. I never got squat for the
paperwork.

The way the tax tables were set up it might cost me a few cents to
have the pleasure of serving my state& counties.

The "credit" I receive on my NY state sales tax never once covered the
postage stamp. Now, at least, I only have to file once a year instead of
quarterly and it's done online.

In NY state merchants get 5% of the tax not to exceed $200.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls...ion_credit.htm

Jim Elbrecht November 26th 11 11:59 PM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

George wrote:

On 11/26/2011 1:59 AM, h wrote:
"Jim wrote in message

-snip-

I collected for NY from 76 to 84 or so. I never got squat for the
paperwork.

The way the tax tables were set up it might cost me a few cents to
have the pleasure of serving my state& counties.

The "credit" I receive on my NY state sales tax never once covered the
postage stamp. Now, at least, I only have to file once a year instead of
quarterly and it's done online.

In NY state merchants get 5% of the tax not to exceed $200.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls...ion_credit.htm

Cool-- Wonder when they started doing that?

$200 would have just about covered my time when I was doing it--- but
then I never owed $4000, so I would have gotten less.

Jim

[email protected] November 27th 11 12:11 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:10:17 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 24, 10:10*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:31:53 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 24, 3:55*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 11:10:57 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On 11/23/2011 5:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

The number of posts is irrelevant. The fact is that you just can't stop
answering someone who you believe "has no significance". Now *THAT* is
stupid.

STOP already, we are convinced!

Yes, it's obvious to everyone that you *are* that stupid.

[email protected] November 27th 11 12:14 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 26 Nov 2011 01:30:59 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

You (NY media) get a very different story than the rest of the country.

Town had to let go police officers, cut library hours, and a whole lot
more because of Christie. Both daughter and son are high school teachers.
But we have already gone over the problem whether good teachers are under-
or overpaid.

Boo hoo! You're *BROKE*. Deal with that first!

Michael A. Terrell November 27th 11 12:15 AM

BobR wrote:

Then your issue was with the local vendor and only the local vendor.
That doesn't change the fact that buying on the internet from out of
state vendors that don't collect the sales tax is giving an unfair
advantage to the internet vendor. Amazing that your internet vendor
in state was able to calculate the tax.

Yawn. Since I paid the sales tax, it was calculated properly. There
are no local business that sell a lot of the tools and parts I need.
prior to the internet it meant paper catalogs and order forms, along
with a business check. Use tax was paid to the state of Ohio every
quarter, per the laws involved. Since 99% + of my work was for non
profit or government agencies, I was audited every quarter because of
the low sales tax reported. They never found an error, and after 18
months they flagged my account so I wouldn't lose a day and a half's
work every 90 days.

Michael A. Terrell November 27th 11 12:16 AM

wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

It's not luck - it's competition. There's a Stop 'N Rob on every street
corner. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a box of corn flakes in the next twenty
minutes, paying $6.00 for the box is of secondary importance.

Or go to Dollar Tree and get it for $1. I just bought five bags
there. I recently bought six cases of Progresso soup there. Winn-Dixie
wants $2.59 a can. That was a savings of $114.48 on 72 cans. The two
stores are only a couple hundred feet apart.

I eat a lot of Spam..the potted meat, along with canned Corned Beef.

Most stores sell Spam for $2.49-3.00 a can. Thats 1.40-2.00 higher than
I buy it at the dollar stores.

A considerable savings

And you get a lot of space saving rectangular cans to store hardware
in, too. ;-)

BobR November 27th 11 01:46 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 26, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
On 26 Nov 2011 01:30:59 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

You (NY media) get a very different story than the rest of the country..

Town had to let go police officers, cut library hours, and a whole lot
more because of Christie. *Both daughter and son are high school teachers.
But we have already gone over the problem whether good teachers are under-
or overpaid.

Boo hoo! *You're *BROKE*. *Deal with that first!

Exactly what they are wanting to do. Glad to see you finally agree.

HeyBub[_3_] November 27th 11 01:59 AM

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

It shouldn't be hard, rationally. If 5,000 people a month use the local
library and only three people a year want their dog psychoanalyzed, the a
surplus in the budget of $5,003 dollars is easy to allocate.

But, of course, budgets aren't distributed rationally.

HeyBub[_3_] November 27th 11 02:07 AM

BobR wrote:

Then your issue was with the local vendor and only the local vendor.
That doesn't change the fact that buying on the internet from out of
state vendors that don't collect the sales tax is giving an unfair
advantage to the internet vendor. Amazing that your internet vendor
in state was able to calculate the tax.

I reject the notion of "unfair advantage." Passing tax laws to interfere
with the marketplace is a terrible idea. It wasn't too many years ago that
some states had "fair trade" laws that prohibited stores from selling at the
price they wanted, such as a "loss leader." New Jersey, and its law
prohibiting self-serve gas stations is another example. As a consequence,
motorists in New Jersey have to pay more than those in neighboring states
for gasoline.

No, the absence of a sales tax on internet sales is a "competitive"
advantage, not an "unfair" one. Let the local store compete on location and
immediate sales. Plus, there's nothing to stop the local store from offering
their products on a web site. All they need is a 12-year old male to be
their webmaster.

[email protected] November 27th 11 02:27 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:46:53 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
On 26 Nov 2011 01:30:59 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

You (NY media) get a very different story than the rest of the country.
Town had to let go police officers, cut library hours, and a whole lot
more because of Christie. *Both daughter and son are high school teachers.
But we have already gone over the problem whether good teachers are under-
or overpaid.

Boo hoo! *You're *BROKE*. *Deal with that first!

Exactly what they are wanting to do. Glad to see you finally agree.

That's what Cristie wants to do. Han, and the rest of you lefties want to
whine about how "unfair" it all is to the poor unions. Suck it up, bucko.

BobR November 27th 11 05:07 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 26, 8:27*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:46:53 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
On 26 Nov 2011 01:30:59 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

You (NY media) get a very different story than the rest of the country.
Town had to let go police officers, cut library hours, and a whole lot
more because of Christie. *Both daughter and son are high school teachers.
But we have already gone over the problem whether good teachers are under-
or overpaid.

Boo hoo! *You're *BROKE*. *Deal with that first!

Exactly what they are wanting to do. *Glad to see you finally agree.

That's what Cristie wants to do. *Han, and the rest of you lefties want to
whine about how "unfair" it all is to the poor unions. *Suck it up, bucko

Know what happens when you make ASS-U-mptions? You make an ASS out of
YOURSELF! And you just made a very big ASS-U-mption that was totally
wrong.

BobR November 27th 11 05:14 AM

On Nov 26, 8:07*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
BobR wrote:

[...]

I must totally disagree, it is a totally unfair competitive advantage
that can't be make up by setting up and selling their products on the
web.

[email protected] November 27th 11 05:48 AM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 8:27*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:46:53 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

You can lie to yourself but the rest of the world has an IQ 3.

Han November 27th 11 01:25 PM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

" wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 8:27*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:46:53 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

When the wealth of the nation has flowed to the rich you still want to
tax the less fortunate? That will get you exactly what you don't want.
Read the papers, watch TV, etc, and perhaps you will get the message.
--
Best regards
Han

[email protected] November 27th 11 04:19 PM

OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 27 Nov 2011 13:25:29 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 8:27*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:46:53 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Nov 26, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Tax at greater than zero? You bet! Everyone should have skin in the game.

That will get you exactly what you don't want.

You're nuts.

Read the papers, watch TV, etc, and perhaps you will get the message.

Well, most of the rest of the world has an IQ 3.