Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Q about dimmable CFLs vs Non-dimmable ones

I replaced the incandescent bulbs in a 6 bulb fixture with
non-dimmable CFLs. I didn't realize it at the time I did it that the
switch was a dimmer switch. Realizing it was a dimmer switched
circuit I tried dimming them. Didn't work, they were either on or
off. So just to see what would happen I took out two of the CFLs and
put regular incandescent back in. With the inc bulbs there the dimmer
would dim the non-dimmable CFLs. Not as well as real dimmable CFLs
but certainly enough to be dim enough to satisfy my needs in the
dimming department. there is a slight buzzing when I dim this setup
but it's not enough to be a problem to me for the few times I want to
dim them.

So what's different about the dimmable CFLs compared to the
non-dimmable ones? Do they just add a resistor in parallel inside the
dimmible bulbs???

dimmable CFLs? Nate Nagel Home Repair 19 September 2nd 09 01:08 AM
Dimmable CFL Tony Hwang Home Repair 40 May 26th 08 10:10 PM
20W Dimmable CFL Peter Watson UK diy 4 January 15th 08 11:40 PM
Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs/Lamps (CFLs) *do* exist [email protected] UK diy 7 March 3rd 06 10:15 AM
Converting remote controlled, dimmable, incandescent fan lights toflourescent non-dimmable SMS Home Repair 4 November 26th 05 08:38 PM