Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Richard Muller is saying what?

Hmmm,
Now what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Now what?

It's sad. You roll a grenade into a newsgroup and everyone just sits there
smoking their cigars. What's Usenet coming to?

-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Douglas Johnson wrote:

Hmmm, Now what?

It's sad. You roll a grenade into a newsgroup and everyone just
sits there smoking their cigars. What's Usenet coming to?

Is this the grenade?

===================
In the Sydney Morning Herald on October 28, Eugene Robinson, a columnist
with the Washington Post, reported the findings of the most
comprehensive study of the Earth's temperature ever undertaken.

The study had been conducted by the Professor of Physics at University
of California, Berkeley, Richard Muller. His team had collated 1.6
billion temperature readings.

Interestingly, Muller had begun his study as a climate change "sceptic",
mocking Michael Mann's "hockey stick" graph; sympathetic to those
responsible for hacking the University of East Anglia Climategate
emails.

The "denialists" were confident that Muller's study would produce
results favourable to their cause. Muller even received a grant of
$150,000 from the great sponsors of US denialism, the fossil fuel
industry-based Koch brothers.

As it turned out, however, the study confirmed earlier findings. Since
the 1950s the Earth's temperature has indeed risen by about 1 degree
Celsius. Muller argued in the Wall Street Journal:

"When we began our study, we felt that sceptics had raised
legitimate issues, and we didn't know what we'd find. Our
results turned out to be close to those published by prior
groups."

He concluded:

"You should not be a sceptic, at least not any longer."

Of course these results were immediately contested. Muller was once a
climate change sceptic. His new enemies are climate change denialists.
Nothing illustrates the distinction between climate change scepticism
and denialism more neatly than the differences that are presently
opening up between Muller and his critics.
======================

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3611206.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 10:43*pm, Douglas Johnson wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
Now what?

It's sad. *You roll a grenade into a newsgroup and everyone just sits there
smoking their cigars.

Who's passing out cigars? I didn't get one.

What's Usenet coming to?

The end of the road. When this generation dies off it'll just be a
Google archive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 1:15 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:43 pm, Douglas wrote:
Tony wrote:

Hmmm,
Now what?

It's sad. You roll a grenade into a newsgroup and everyone just sits there
smoking their cigars.

Who's passing out cigars? I didn't get one.

What's Usenet coming to?

The end of the road. When this generation dies off it'll just be a
Google archive.

When the archive stops getting hits, they will pull the plug. A virtual
Library of Alexandria, and with nothing to burn for fuel, it'll just go
Pfft.

--
aem sends...