DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/330957-what-happens-if-you-ever-lose-chipped-key-your-car.html)

Robert Green October 25th 11 01:24 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF chipped
key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with a device in
the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled that way, too) that
will turn the starter but not engage the engine unless the chipped key is
near the steering column. Do they have the tools to re-create that kind of
key on-site or what? I know locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they have
the original to start with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

RicodJour[_2_] October 25th 11 03:00 PM

On Oct 25, 8:24 am, "Robert Green" wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF chipped
key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with a device in
the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled that way, too) that
will turn the starter but not engage the engine unless the chipped key is
near the steering column. Do they have the tools to re-create that kind of
key on-site or what? I know locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they have
the original to start with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

If misplacing things is a problem, going without that car for a while
until the key can be replaced would be an issue, and your travel
patterns would make your retrieval problematic, getting a spare makes
sense. It's insurance, right? Peace of mind.

http://www.brandtlocksmiths.com/doc/DOcAC.htm

Tony Hwang October 25th 11 03:48 PM

Robert Green wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF chipped
key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with a device in
the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled that way, too) that
will turn the starter but not engage the engine unless the chipped key is
near the steering column. Do they have the tools to re-create that kind of
key on-site or what? I know locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they have
the original to start with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

Hi,
You can buy a blank key with virgin chip. Having it cut is easy but
programming is done by a dealer. I don't know locksmith have something
to program it.

Steve Barker[_6_] October 25th 11 04:14 PM

or just get a car that doesn't have that ****. sigh

--
Steve Barker

Pete C. October 25th 11 04:21 PM

Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Some locksmiths are equipped to program chip keys. On some vehicles you
are able to program new chip keys yourself as long as you have two
working chip keys to use in the process. It's a *really* good idea to
get extra keys when you get the vehicle and put a couple away somewhere
safe.

George October 25th 11 05:40 PM

On 10/25/2011 10:48 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Many locksmiths and even the local ACE have key programmers.

harry October 25th 11 05:44 PM

On Oct 25, 4:14*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

They nearly all have in the UK. You have to the dealer with proof of
ownership and chassis number. The manufacturer sends the identity
number via the internet or fax which is progammed into the key.
Cost $100 per key (seven years ago), so best not to loose it.

dpb October 25th 11 07:04 PM

On 10/25/2011 10:14 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/25/2011 5:24 AM, Robert Green wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF
chipped key that starts my car? ...

or just get a car that doesn't have that ****. sigh

Are there any (just a question, I've not seen anything recently in what
I've either looked at or bought that has the option to not)?

Stormin Mormon October 25th 11 08:03 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon October 25th 11 08:04 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

I doubt it. I'm not sure if the electronic hooplah is
mandated by our nanny government, or if it's what the car
makers want to put in. In any case, probably can't find a
simple vehicle any more.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Kurt Ullman October 25th 11 08:31 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

HeyBub[_3_] October 25th 11 09:04 PM

Robert Green wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF
chipped key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with
a device in the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled
that way, too) that will turn the starter but not engage the engine
unless the chipped key is near the steering column. Do they have the
tools to re-create that kind of key on-site or what? I know
locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they have the original to start
with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for
inside the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the
immobilizer).

Before you go to the dealership for the spare key, try the BORG. On my last
trip to HD, they had a selection of chipped key replacements in the $40-$60
range.

DerbyDad03 October 25th 11 09:22 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

On Oct 25, 3:31*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
*"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

* *But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

Just a guess:

Hook the programmer up to the car's computer and download the code
required to program the key.

If the original key was required, then I doubt *anyone*, including the
dealer, would be able to duplicate the key.

Here's a related, and somewhat humorous, story.

I coach Girl's Softball. The team met in the high school parking lot
and we all boarded the bus. A few minutes down the road our short
stop's cell phone rang. Turns out Mom has one of those push-button-
start cars where all you have to do is have the key nearby, like in a
pocket, to start it. It also turns out that Mom had let the daughter
drive the car to the school with Mom in the passenger seat. Guess who
still had the keys in their pocket? The girl on the bus!

Mom was worried that the car was going to stall on the way home and
wanted us to come back. Even though it was still running, she assumed
that it wouldn't stay running without the key nearby. We weren't about
to turn around, so she took a chance and drove home (about a mile).
She made it home, moved her husband's car out of the driveway so she
didn't block it in and then shut her car down, leaving it sit until
late that night when we got back from our game.

I guess they'll stay running even if the key is moved away from the
vehicle.

Han October 25th 11 10:01 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"Robert Green" wrote in
:

A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF
chipped key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with
a device in the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled
that way, too) that will turn the starter but not engage the engine
unless the chipped key is near the steering column. Do they have the
tools to re-create that kind of key on-site or what? I know
locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they have the original to start
with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for
inside the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the
immobilizer).

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

My service station guys lost the key to my 2005 caravan (they say in a
car that was going to Newark for shipment to East Africa or something).
I had a spare, and the chief said he would pay for a replacement. Local
Chrysler dealer charged $275 ...

--
Best regards
Han

Pete C. October 25th 11 10:09 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

Depends on the vehicle I would think. If you or the locksmith have the
"real" factory scan/diag unit you can normally program new keys without
any current keys.

Higgs Boson[_2_] October 25th 11 10:15 PM

On Oct 25, 1:04*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Yer kiddin'? Do you know anyone who actually BOUGHT one of those that worked?
Straight question. Also: for older cars or just recent models?

I lost the key with clicker for my Nissan, and the dealer quoted $265.
So I worry about losing the remaining key.

SRN October 25th 11 10:15 PM

"Robert Green" wrote in message
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF
chipped
key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with a device in
the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled that way, too)
that
will turn the starter but not engage the engine unless the chipped key is
near the steering column. Do they have the tools to re-create that kind
of
key on-site or what? I know locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they
have
the original to start with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for
inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

Do yourself a big favor and get spares made now. If you still have to
working keys you can buy inexpensive (relatively) chipped key blanks on
Ebay, and have a locksmith cut them for you, then program them yourself.
This why anyone with security keys needs to always have 3 programmed keys so
if they lose one they still have two to use to program a new spare. If you
only have one programmed key, you will have to have a dealer, or a locksmith
with the capability, make new copies for you.

George October 25th 11 10:16 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

On 10/25/2011 4:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 25, 3:31 pm, Kurt wrote:
In ,
"Stormin wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

Just a guess:

Hook the programmer up to the car's computer and download the code
required to program the key.

If the original key was required, then I doubt *anyone*, including the
dealer, would be able to duplicate the key.

Why not? You always have to design in a method just for such events. I
have only seen it done once and the dealer had to contact the
manufacturer for some sort of hash that they entered via their
diagnostic unit.

Stormin Mormon October 25th 11 10:23 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

I've never done one. And it's been years since I read any
articles in the locksmith magazines I get. I wouldn't want
to try and answer specifics. I'd be sure to get it wrong.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,

Bob_Villa October 25th 11 10:30 PM

On Oct 25, 7:24*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF chipped
key that starts my car? *This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with a device in
the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled that way, too) that
will turn the starter but not engage the engine unless the chipped key is
near the steering column. *Do they have the tools to re-create that kind of
key on-site or what? *I know locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they have
the original to start with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

I'm not sure about now...but when I worked with a locksmith in '99,
the GM cars had 20 different chipped keys plus the 10s of 1000s of
different key-cut combinations. You had a key-reader to find the
proper chipped key blank, then cut the key. So, if you had a spare
key (non-chipped) and then got your key chip number. You could have
that in the event you lost the original!

Reed October 25th 11 11:07 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

On 10/25/11 3:31 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
"Stormin wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

It is a common mis-understanding that what gets "programmed" is the
key. Wrong. The car's computer is programmed to accept that specific
new key (or keys) individual PIN code, which any new key is provided
with in it's packaging.

Same for remote controls, which is why the used ones people buy on
eBay etc (and don't get a code) end up being paperweights.

When I worked at a dealer, we had many cases of people losing their
last key, and car had to be towed to nearest dealership for
programming a new key.

Also re these new remote keys, we did have a case where guy went to
airport, got out of car, it kept running til it ran out of gas while
he was gone.

Kurt Ullman October 25th 11 11:13 PM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

In article , George
wrote:

Why not? You always have to design in a method just for such events. I
have only seen it done once and the dealer had to contact the
manufacturer for some sort of hash that they entered via their
diagnostic unit.

I kept the number that was on the keys when I got it. Non-chipped, I
just read the numbers to the dealer and they made a new key. I wonder if
the numbers are all I need with a chipped key.

G[_5_] October 25th 11 11:14 PM

Robert Green wrote:

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

I lost a key to a 2006 Chevy pickup once. Had to go to the dealer and
prove ownership, they made me a key in 10 mins. based on the VIN#.

About $50.

--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,

October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan (Colbert Report)

Pete C. October 26th 11 01:27 AM

"Stormin wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

It is a common mis-understanding that what gets "programmed" is the
key. Wrong. The car's computer is programmed to accept that specific
new key (or keys) individual PIN code, which any new key is provided
with in it's packaging.

Yes, however there is truth to needing active keys to program a new one.
On some Fords at least, you can program new keys yourself as long as you
have two current active keys to use in the process, if you don't have
active keys you have to get the vehicle to the dealer and have them use
the VCM/IDS setup to program new keys.

Same for remote controls, which is why the used ones people buy on
eBay etc (and don't get a code) end up being paperweights.

When I worked at a dealer, we had many cases of people losing their
last key, and car had to be towed to nearest dealership for
programming a new key.

Yes, which is why I recommend getting extras when you get the vehicle
and storing them somewhere safe. If I loose my current keys I still have
two stored away so I'm both not stuck, and I can still program more keys
myself.

Also re these new remote keys, we did have a case where guy went to
airport, got out of car, it kept running til it ran out of gas while
he was gone.

Yep, and you can also accidentally unlock the vehicle you just locked if
other stuff in your pocket presses the button while you're walking away.

Larry W October 26th 11 02:10 AM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

In article ,
Pete C. wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

Depends on the vehicle I would think. If you or the locksmith have the
"real" factory scan/diag unit you can normally program new keys without
any current keys.

Just wanted to add, on many vehicles, the _key_ is not programmable.
rather, the scan tool or key replacment procedure programs the
vehicle ECM (computer) to recognize the key. What's more, certain
make/models have ECM with a limit on the number of keys they will recognize,
and no way to "free" a key code no longer used; IOW, once you've
programmed the vehicle for new keys 10 times (typically, might be more/less)
that particular vehicle will not be able to have any more new keys added
without a new ECM too. Good luck with that.

Robert Green October 26th 11 02:41 AM

"G" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for

inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

I lost a key to a 2006 Chevy pickup once. Had to go to the dealer and
prove ownership, they made me a key in 10 mins. based on the VIN#.

About $50.

Interesting. This car's had the original key replaced (insurance only paid
for one key when the original van came with two) so I bought a second one,
chipped, for $75 at TruValue by giving them the new key (the older, original
keys will open, but not start, the van). So now I have two and that's
probably enough because I can always clone the second key if the first is
lost. I've got an entry only key for the wallet (had them make a plain
copy - which doesn't work - bad cutting - but which will be recut by
TruValue when I return to them). Now I have to see if I can hide the
chipped spare in the car somewhere far enough from the steering column that
it's not "seen" by the immobilizer circuit.

The reason I've asked all this is today I parked in a lot next to a storm
drain grate and dropped my keys. Only exceptionally good luck kept them
from sliding right into oblivion so I began to wonder how much of a tragedy
that would be as I began to look for a chain to attach the keys to my pant's
belt loop.

Good input from everyone and not the comedy fest I had feared with a
potential straight line like the subject "What happens?" What happens is
you could be seriously screwed or inconvenienced and for $75 it might not be
a bad idea to buy some more insurance. I might even ask Tru-Value to give
me the code for the chip in the key (they have to have a reader) that I can
write on the wallet key as a little more (and cheaper) insurance that a
locksmith can get me in if I screw up and dump the keys in a black hole.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 02:42 AM

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that's what I will do when I get Tru-Value to rework the plain key I
had made for my wallet so even if I lost the keychain, I could wait for the
locksmith INSIDE the van!

Thanks, Bob

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 02:44 AM

"SRN" wrote in message

[...]

Three keys it is. The downside seems steep enough to warrant the $75
expense.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 02:46 AM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"Han" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote in
:

[...]

That's what my Chrysler dealer wanted - fortunately TruValue did my dupe for
$75. Makes you just love dealerships even more than before. Reminds me of
the universally adaptable joke: Who's your second favorite profession? Car
dealers. Who's your first favorite? Everybody else!

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 02:48 AM

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 1:04 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

That's obscene. Based on Han's experience, you should be able to buy them
somewhere else for $65 absent the dealer's $200 markup. I'm worried, too.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 02:49 AM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Tru-Value did it for $75 for a Cripesler, other cars were in the same range
you mention. Still others even Tru-Value wanted $100+ for.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 02:53 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I doubt it. I'm not sure if the electronic hooplah is
mandated by our nanny government, or if it's what the car
makers want to put in. In any case, probably can't find a
simple vehicle any more.

I have to say that when I was in a serious crash, spinning around at over
55mph, watching the doors blow open and everything in the car lifting up in
the air in slow motion, flying out of the car from centrifical force, I was
sure glad to have those damn nanny-mandated automatic seat and shoulder
belts keeping me from joining my briefcase, sunglasses, tissue box and
under-seat tire iron as they levitate upward and outward. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 03:01 AM

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 10/25/2011 10:14 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/25/2011 5:24 AM, Robert Green wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF
chipped key that starts my car? ...

or just get a car that doesn't have that ****. sigh

Are there any (just a question, I've not seen anything recently in what
I've either looked at or bought that has the option to not)?

This was a great deal for a kneeling van with a handicapped ramp, electric
everything, auto-wheelchair lockdowns, etc. that was a couple of years old.
New = $49,000 with the Braun modifications. I got it three years later,
almost new, with only 22K miles for under $25K. Bought it from an Ebay
lister who didn't get his reserve price after three tries and took my offer
outside of Ebay which, in my mind, makes up for the number of immense screw
jobs I got from Ebay before I stopped doing business with them. I didn't
think that Ebay would offer much in the way of fraud protection and that
state vehicle law would.

So I had little choice in the accessory options. Yes, it's probably
unethical, but I am a "transactional ethicist, like most people. If the
"good deeds" outweigh the "bad deeds" in general, I'm OK with it. (-: It
is called FeeBay for a reason. It made my dad's last days on earth
schlepping back and forth to doctors and hospitals a little bit easier, so
it was worth every cent. Now, it's my main vehicle. With the ramp and the
specially lowered floor, it's a great cargo hauler.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 03:10 AM

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
[...]

Not many left. This was just too good a deal to pass up. Half price at
three years old with only 22K and a good inspection report AND only thirty
miles away - a rarity for Ebay Motors. If you needed one (and IIRC, you've
got some health issues that might require it some day) you would have jumped
at this one. I reviewed over 100 handicapped vans very closely because
there are a lot of rip off artists selling beat to death rejects from city
paratransit services on Ebay. This one was in-state, nearly new, private
party with kid that had improved enough to no longer required using a
motorized wheelchair. A win all around.

A kneeling, ramped van is just about the only way to move a heavy power
wheelchair around. You can get them with swing-out lifts which are better
for tight parking spots (the ramp style requires a full-sized parking spot
next to it to deploy in). But the lift styles won't operate manually and
occasionally drop the chairs, sometimes on the already damaged feet of the
wheelchair user. I would recommend them only to retired crane operators.
(-:

More than you ever wanted to know about handicapped vans.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 03:11 AM

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Yep, that's where I will probably be getting my second spare. TruValue
sells my particular key for $75.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 03:50 AM

"Stormin wrote:

[...]

Okay. $75 isn't a bad 1-time insurance premium to pay to make sure I've
always got an original. That seems to be the "key" to the whole chipped key
problem. Life is *probably* going to be easier if you either have the code
number and a plain metal key or a spare chipped key - or both. Thanks!

--
Bobby G.

RickH October 26th 11 05:18 AM

[...]

I carry a spare un-chipped key in my wallet that will get me into the
car. To start it I have a spare chipped key well hidden inside the
car. Ace hardware will make a chip key for around $75 (which is a
bargain over the dealer). Carrying a spare chiped key in the wallet
hurts my ass because they are so thick.

hr(bob) [email protected] October 26th 11 05:42 AM

On Oct 25, 11:18*pm, RickH wrote:
[...]

hurts my ass because they are so thick.- Hide quoted text -

I do exactly the same as Rick .

Robert Green October 26th 11 06:15 AM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Pete C. wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

[...]

If I manage to lose nine keys or have nine more teenage kids try to steal
it, I'll just give up on driving. I'll have to look up the bill. I believe
my insurance company and I were charged about $400 for a new immobilizer.
Had a $500 deductible - total bill for kids popping the door and then the
steering column lock was over $1,000.

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 26th 11 06:23 AM

What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

"Stormin wrote:

[...]

Been there, done that. The late Robert Bass suggested heat shrink tubing to
cover the remote and that provided just the right amount of resistance to
prevent accidental pocket firing. Coated both remotes. Next time I'll use
clear shrink tubing rather than black so I can still see the key labels.

--
Bobby G.