DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   BORG (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/330874-borg.html)

Higgs Boson[_2_] October 22nd 11 09:31 PM

BORG

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

TIA

HB

Han October 22nd 11 09:42 PM

BORG

Higgs Boson wrote in news:1ea3940d-d04e-49b1-bd37-
:

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

TIA

HB

Come on, Home depot and the like have assimilated many a Mom & Pop hardware
store. Hence the comparison to the Borg of Star Trek fame.

--
Best regards
Han

Eddie October 22nd 11 09:53 PM

BORG

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

TIA

HB

No such luck?
http://tinyurl.com/5td5fmm

Oren[_2_] October 22nd 11 09:59 PM

BORG

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:31:52 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

TIA

HB

BORG = Big Orange ( store )

In Tijuana = Casa Depot

Oren[_2_] October 22nd 11 10:08 PM

BORG

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:59:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

BORG = Big Orange ( store )

More precisely: "Big Orange Retail Giant "

Steve Barker[_6_] October 22nd 11 10:53 PM

BORG

On 10/22/2011 1:31 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

TIA

HB

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=borg&page=2.

or could be it's just

Big
Orange
Retail
Giant

--
Steve Barker

RicodJour[_2_] October 22nd 11 11:06 PM

BORG

On Oct 22, 5:08*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:59:53 -0700, Oren wrote:
BORG = Big Orange ( store )

More precisely: "Big Orange Retail Giant "

I always though it was "the Borg", as in resistance is futile, suck
the life out of you, orange-aproned cyborgs that look like people.
Like the aliens on Star Trek, but with less of a sense of humor.

Red Green October 22nd 11 11:29 PM

BORG

RicodJour wrote in news:7ac0455f-0fe6-45eb-b1d1-
:

On Oct 22, 5:08*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:59:53 -0700, Oren wrote:
BORG = Big Orange ( store )

More precisely: "Big Orange Retail Giant "

I always though it was "the Borg", as in resistance is futile, suck
the life out of you, orange-aproned cyborgs that look like people.
Like the aliens on Star Trek, but with less of a sense of humor.

z) All of the above

[email protected] October 23rd 11 12:15 AM

BORG

wrote:

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

Big Orange Retail Giant (A.K.A. Home Depot).

Oren[_2_] October 23rd 11 12:41 AM

BORG

wrote:

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

Big Orange Retail Giant (A.K.A. Home Depot).

This is the same person complaining about his news reader. One day is
asterisks, then some other thing for quoting the message.

Just today he perfectly quoted our Texas friend.

I still stand by my measurement. There is a malfunction between the
chair and the keyboard. Slip in a little Kalifornication for good
measure.

Nothing worse than a man ****ing and moaning.

Sorry.

aemeijers October 23rd 11 12:54 AM

BORG

wrote:

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

Big Orange Retail Giant (A.K.A. Home Depot).

That is one definition. IMHO, it derives from Star Trek TNG, and the
huge cube ships of one of their main enemies, the Borg collective.
Modern big-box home centers, floating in a sea of asphalt, sorta
resemble the Borg spacecraft. It is a generic term for all of them at
this point, not just the orange guys.

Like most internet jargon and slang, there is probably no way to know
for sure where it came from.

--
aem sends...

[email protected] October 23rd 11 01:03 AM

BORG

wrote:

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

Big Orange Retail Giant (A.K.A. Home Depot).

This is the same person complaining about his news reader. One day is
asterisks, then some other thing for quoting the message.

Her. Higgs Moron is an old hag.

Just today he perfectly quoted our Texas friend.

I still stand by my measurement. There is a malfunction between the
chair and the keyboard. Slip in a little Kalifornication for good
measure.

No question.

Nothing worse than a man ****ing and moaning.

There sure is! An old hag ****ing her pants and whining.

Sorry.

She certainly is.

[email protected] October 23rd 11 01:08 AM

BORG

wrote:

Have seen this a lot recently, referring to big box stores? I tried to
look up BORG, but no luck.

Anybody?

Big Orange Retail Giant (A.K.A. Home Depot).

That is one definition. IMHO, it derives from Star Trek TNG, and the
huge cube ships of one of their main enemies, the Borg collective.

Certainly, but in the AHR context it's a tag for HomeDespot.

Modern big-box home centers, floating in a sea of asphalt, sorta
resemble the Borg spacecraft. It is a generic term for all of them at
this point, not just the orange guys.

True. The original was HomeDespot. Lowes isn't exactly orange. ;-)

Like most internet jargon and slang, there is probably no way to know
for sure where it came from.

Certainly "BORG" was from ST but it was re-acronymed to HD; force-fit, really.
"Big" and "Giant" are obviously redundant but needed to fit the mental picture
from ST.

Oren[_2_] October 23rd 11 02:31 AM

BORG

On Oct 22, 5:08*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:59:53 -0700, Oren wrote:
BORG = Big Orange ( store )

More precisely: "Big Orange Retail Giant "

I always though it was "the Borg", as in resistance is futile, suck
the life out of you, orange-aproned cyborgs that look like people.
Like the aliens on Star Trek, but with less of a sense of humor.

z) All of the above

_Red Green Crosses Lake Superior_

Pic:

"Although much less prevalent, illegal border-crossings from Canada
are much more entertaining" Duct tape is absent.

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/2011/10/17/white-trash-repairs-red-green-crosses-lake-superior/

Red Green October 23rd 11 03:33 PM

BORG

Oren wrote in
:

On Oct 22, 5:08*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:59:53 -0700, Oren wrote:
BORG = Big Orange ( store )

More precisely: "Big Orange Retail Giant "

I always though it was "the Borg", as in resistance is futile, suck
the life out of you, orange-aproned cyborgs that look like people.
Like the aliens on Star Trek, but with less of a sense of humor.

z) All of the above

_Red Green Crosses Lake Superior_

Pic:

"Although much less prevalent, illegal border-crossings from Canada
are much more entertaining" Duct tape is absent.

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/20...-repairs-red-g
reen-crosses-lake-superior/

Chuckle

Suspicious pic.
Can't see ship name with a rear shot. "Possum" ???

Possible imposter ID:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../3a/ZZ_Top.jpg

Couple of notable comments posted

- Red Green would have put a much bigger outboard motor
on that, or at least 7 of those small ones.

- So… the first 903 of them sunk?

Oren[_2_] October 23rd 11 11:20 PM

BORG

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:33:57 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On Oct 22, 5:08*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:59:53 -0700, Oren wrote:
BORG = Big Orange ( store )

More precisely: "Big Orange Retail Giant "

I always though it was "the Borg", as in resistance is futile, suck
the life out of you, orange-aproned cyborgs that look like people.
Like the aliens on Star Trek, but with less of a sense of humor.

z) All of the above

_Red Green Crosses Lake Superior_

Pic:

"Although much less prevalent, illegal border-crossings from Canada
are much more entertaining" Duct tape is absent.

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/20...-repairs-red-g
reen-crosses-lake-superior/

Chuckle

Suspicious pic.
Can't see ship name with a rear shot. "Possum" ???

Possible imposter ID:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../3a/ZZ_Top.jpg

Yep. That guy is from Texas.

Couple of notable comments posted

- Red Green would have put a much bigger outboard motor
on that, or at least 7 of those small ones.

- So… the first 903 of them sunk?

The way it used to be in the South.

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/data/500/redneck-boat.jpg

A somewhat modern bass boat:

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/500/redneck_bass_boat.jpg

http://www.weeville.com/redneck%20bass%20boat.jpg

Red Green October 23rd 11 11:33 PM

BORG

Oren wrote in
:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:33:57 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
m:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/20...sh-repairs-red
-g reen-crosses-lake-superior/

Chuckle

Suspicious pic.
Can't see ship name with a rear shot. "Possum" ???

Possible imposter ID:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../3a/ZZ_Top.jpg

Yep. That guy is from Texas.

Couple of notable comments posted

- Red Green would have put a much bigger outboard motor
on that, or at least 7 of those small ones.

- So… the first 903 of them sunk?

The way it used to be in the South.

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/data/500/redneck-boat.jpg

A somewhat modern bass boat:

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/500/redneck_bass_boat.jpg

Which object has a higher IQ than Earl?

Foam
Lumber
Chair
Rope
Motor
Battery
Rocks
Water

All of the above [Hint: it's this one]

http://www.weeville.com/redneck%20bass%20boat.jpg

Oren[_2_] October 24th 11 12:01 AM

BORG

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:33:13 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

[...]

Earl's child on TimeOut

http://www.the-miles.org/files/old/RedneckTimeOut.jpg

Red Green October 24th 11 11:39 PM

BORG

Oren wrote in
:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/20...rash-repairs-r
[...]

Earl shows some hint of intelligence - the right fastener for the right
job.

Oren[_2_] October 25th 11 02:16 AM

BORG

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:39:32 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Earl's child on TimeOut

http://www.the-miles.org/files/old/RedneckTimeOut.jpg

Earl shows some hint of intelligence - the right fastener for the right
job.

....and the fastener is non-metric