Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

On Sep 15, 11:02*am, willshak wrote:
X-post to alt.building.construction and alt.home.repair

I currently have a 100 gal propane tank owned by the propane company.
It is refilled by automatic delivery and the price is set by the company.
At one time I had a tank owned by another propane supplier.
I switched from that company to the company I currently use. This
required that the old company had to come and remove their tank. I was
reimbursed for the propane left in the old tank. The new company
installed their tank and I was locked into whatever price they charged.
I want to own my own tank so I can shop around for the best price when
having my tank refilled, much like I do with my fuel oil tank.
Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
Anyone have any ideas?

I can't help you with your quest, but have you asked the propane
companies if they'd have issues with filling a largish tank owned by
the customer? There might be liability issues that would throw a
wrench in your plans. Filling their own tanks keeps the liability
within their control. There might be insurance issues that prevent
them from filling your tank. They might also have issues with filling
a tank where there's no 'contract' or assurance of continuity.
Automatic delivery is the easiest thing for them. Changing customers
costs the company money.

I think those questions have to be answered before you start shopping.