Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Simplex Grinder Pump

Have one of these in a 2006 built seasonal home. The pattern has been
it works fine when I get here and as the season progresses it needs
manual operation more and more.

Now it needs it all the time with the exception that it will pump down
on auto when it gets to the backup float. So the alarm goes off when
I'm in the shower and it pumps down but just for so long after the
alarm goes off.

I assume it has a bottom and top float?? Or it would pump down before
the alarm goes off. Any ideas as to what I could do to fix this. I
have been able to loosen the top enough to get a hose in there (after
powering down). But that didn't help.

I'm thinking there may be water in the lower float that possibly
evaporates some when I'm gone for 6 months. I'm pretty handy. Just
couldn't get the pipes apart enough to break it down all the way.
Seems like waste was coming in past the check valve when I tried to
loosen the exit pipe on it. So I aborted 'that' plan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2011 1:18 PM, in2dadark wrote:
[...]

The first step, is to identify what you have. You need to open the
control panel and see what's attached, and how. A basic simplex will
have 3 floats. On-Off-Alarm. It sounds like your "on" float, or the
"alarm" float, has a problem. You are going to have to open the pit to
do any repairs or replacements. I would suggest flushing the pit with
clean water and bleach first.