Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Does air compressor make good tire inflator?

I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps an
older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

I don't like the tire chuck -- I have to flip a lever to compress the
rubber washer to seal around the valve stem. This lever is hard to
operate and the seal often leaks. The pressure gauge is way off.
To make it worse, I have a scooter with hard to reach valve stem.

I'm thinking of getting a compressor with a tire chuck. I believe this
is more like the ones at gas station which I like -- you push the tire
chuck onto the valve stem with one hand, press a "trigger" with the
other hand and the air starts pumping. Release the trigger and a
built-in gauge shows the pressure fairly accurately.

Would a small compressor like this work?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G9

I'll probably buy a tire chuck like this as well:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...lo ckType=G21

I never owned or used a compressor, so I'd like to hear others' opinions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2011 6:46 AM, bob wrote:
[...]

I'm no expert but a while back bought the cheap (I believe $39) 3 gal HF
compressor but needed to buy extra hoses and attachments. I suspect the
Sears unit is too small for anything but inflation as my HF unit is too.

Found the compressor gauge is not adequate for inflating tire alone as
you need to check with a separate gauge which maybe the bottom Sears url
would do.

Previous tire inflator was similar to yours and works fine except it
takes much longer. To inflate something like a flat tire on my wheel
barrow, compressor is much better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2011 7:37 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/9/2011 6:46 AM, bob wrote:
[...]

I have pretty much the exact same setup, with the same opinion, in my
garage. The $39 HF model is a twin to the $69 or so Sears 'evolv' model,
but the Sears version comes with lots of accessories, albeit cheap junk
ones. HF usually has the real Goodyear 20-foot hoses on sale, and the
cards of brass fittings and such.

I did buy an itty-bitty brad nailer (for trim work that I will probably
never get around to) to use with the HF baby pancake, but I'm scared to
try it out, for fear I will be disappointed- shoot 3 nails, wait 3
minutes, etc. The setup I have does tires okay, albeit slowly, but in
hindsight, I shoulda bought a bigger one. Maybe next time Sears or HF
has a sale, I will, and take the cheap accessories it comes with and
bundle them with this toy, and sell it on CL. Still nice and shiny, so I
should be able to get most of my $ back out of it.

I do also have a many-years-old Cambell-Hausfield 12v compressor,
pretty much like OP described, with a fingernail-buster of a plastic
latch on the end. Slow, but seems reliable, and it is portable. It folds
up small, so worth keeping in trunk on road trips.

I miss free air at gas stations, plumbed from a big comressor so you
could get more than 30 pounds in a tire. These coin-op buzz-boxes they
have now are useless junk. That is why I broke down and bought my own
setup. These damn aluminum rims on the car need topping off at least
once a month.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anybody buy one that was too big? [was; Does air compressor make good tire inflator?]

I think at least 3 of us in this thread have said variations of this;

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
minutes, etc. The setup I have does tires okay, albeit slowly, but in
hindsight, I shoulda bought a bigger one.

I know I did.

Has anyone in history ever said; "That compressor is just too big--
I'm going to get rid of it and get a smaller one?"

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2011 5:59 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I think at least 3 of us in this thread have said variations of this;

wrote:

-snip-
minutes, etc. The setup I have does tires okay, albeit slowly, but in
hindsight, I shoulda bought a bigger one.

I know I did.

Has anyone in history ever said; "That compressor is just too big--
I'm going to get rid of it and get a smaller one?"

Jim

Scenario- a tradesman just starting out with a vanilla pickup, not a
service body, who has to load and unload all his tools twice a day,
because SWMBO's car is in the garage along with all the spare tools, and
he has to park outside.

Yeah, it probably doesn't happen often, but I'm sure it HAS happened.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-09, aemeijers wrote:

Scenario- a tradesman just starting out with a vanilla pickup, not a
service body, who has to load and unload all his tools twice a day,
because SWMBO's car is in the garage along with all the spare tools, and
he has to park outside.

Yeah, it probably doesn't happen often, but I'm sure it HAS happened.

It's all relative to the tool. Nailers do not run wide open for 5-30
secs. Therefor, do not need CONTINUOUS air. Mechanics tools, like
impact, ratchet, chisel, drill, do run for extended periods of time.
That's why constuction ppl use portable systems that look like two
Paris Hilton SCUBA tanks on a handtruck and max out 5 CFM. Tire shops
driving 1/2"-3/4" impact wrenches use 15-20 CFM compressors w/ 150-200
gal tanks.

Simple physics, really. Try pumping up a car tire with a 10 speed
bicycle pump. You'll go blind or die of old age before you get 1 PSI
in that tire!

nb --former gunite rig operator. 600 CFM!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert Finkelbaum, 1913-1947 was killed by his wife, when he
said that. Survived by his wife (now in the pen) two sons,
four cats, and a big ugly dog.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
I think at least 3 of us in this thread have said variations
of this;

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
minutes, etc. The setup I have does tires okay, albeit
slowly, but in
hindsight, I shoulda bought a bigger one.

I know I did.

Has anyone in history ever said; "That compressor is just
too big--
I'm going to get rid of it and get a smaller one?"

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 03:46:59 -0700, bob wrote:

I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps an
older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

They're handy, but. . . hey take a while, and I managed to do $500
worth of damage to my wiring harness with one. My mechanic says
they are good for his business. They are marginally too much
power for most power outlets so they work fine until the stars align
and you run them a little longer than normal -- then they melt the
harness together.

I think I'll put another power outlet under the hood with a bigger
gauge wire- because they are handy as hell.
-snip-

Would a small compressor like this work?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G9

It will work fine--- But. . . . A compressor is something I didn't
own until I was 50-something. Then I smacked myself in the head and
couldn't believe I hadn't bought one 30 years earlier.

If you *ever* do any woodworking, metalworking, brickworking,
painting, or blowing up of large inflatables- you might want to get a
bigger compressor. That one will fill tires, and maybe run a nail
gun.

It probably won't run any; painting tools, shears, nibblers, scalers,
chisels, cut-off tools, or air hammers. I'd look over what's
available in tools-- pick out what I'm likely to use someday & buy a
compressor that will run them. Keep in mind that compressor
manufacturers inflate their SCFM numbers, and tool manufacturers
deflate them. So a tool that says it needs 6 SCFM isn't likely to
run well on a compressor that says it will produce 6 SCFM.

OTOH-- that one won't break the bank and doesn't take up much room.

I'll probably buy a tire chuck like this as well:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...lo ckType=G21

I love my Milton 506;
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-Industr.../dp/B000BMIQ4O

I never owned or used a compressor, so I'd like to hear others' opinions.

I've never been a proponent of get the biggest- newest- bestest- or
any of that. I get 'good enough'. But I have been a little
frustrated when I've gone to use some air tools and didn't have enough
CFMs to use them. [I have a harbor freight 8gallon 4-6CFM compressor
that was about $120 & has paid for itself 10 times over in a few
years. But if I had it to do over again, I'd get one that would do
8-10 SCFM so I could paint and use my sand blaster a little more
efficiently.]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 03:46:59 -0700, bob wrote:

I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps
an older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

They're handy, but. . . hey take a while, and I managed to do $500
worth of damage to my wiring harness with one. My mechanic says
they are good for his business. They are marginally too much
power for most power outlets so they work fine until the stars align
and you run them a little longer than normal -- then they melt the
harness together.

I think I'll put another power outlet under the hood with a bigger
gauge wire- because they are handy as hell.
-snip-

Would a small compressor like this work?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...No=9&blockNo=9
&blockType=G9

It will work fine--- But. . . . A compressor is something I didn't
own until I was 50-something. Then I smacked myself in the head and
couldn't believe I hadn't bought one 30 years earlier.

errrr...., you too huh? And I thought it was just me :-)

If you *ever* do any woodworking, metalworking, brickworking,
painting, or blowing up of large inflatables- you might want to get a
bigger compressor. That one will fill tires, and maybe run a nail
gun.

It probably won't run any; painting tools, shears, nibblers, scalers,
chisels, cut-off tools, or air hammers. I'd look over what's
available in tools-- pick out what I'm likely to use someday & buy a
compressor that will run them. Keep in mind that compressor
manufacturers inflate their SCFM numbers, and tool manufacturers
deflate them. So a tool that says it needs 6 SCFM isn't likely to
run well on a compressor that says it will produce 6 SCFM.

OTOH-- that one won't break the bank and doesn't take up much room.

I'll probably buy a tire chuck like this as well:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...No=21&blockNo=
21&blockType=G21

I love my Milton 506;
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-Industr...ge/dp/B000BMIQ
4O

I never owned or used a compressor, so I'd like to hear others'
opinions.

I've never been a proponent of get the biggest- newest- bestest- or
any of that. I get 'good enough'. But I have been a little
frustrated when I've gone to use some air tools and didn't have enough
CFMs to use them. [I have a harbor freight 8gallon 4-6CFM compressor
that was about $120 & has paid for itself 10 times over in a few
years. But if I had it to do over again, I'd get one that would do
8-10 SCFM so I could paint and use my sand blaster a little more
efficiently.]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I tried my air wrench on the three gallon pancake
compressor. Works for a few seconds, then I have to stop and
let the air catch up. If I had more space, I'd use a 40 gal
empty water heater, for expansion tank.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j1rg7m
:

I tried my air wrench on the three gallon pancake
compressor. Works for a few seconds, then I have to stop and
let the air catch up. If I had more space, I'd use a 40 gal
empty water heater, for expansion tank.

Even a 6 gal pancake cannot support the required SCFM for many air tools.
For air tools other than nailers, this is the wrong tool for the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2011 6:39 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I think I'll put another power outlet under the hood with a bigger
gauge wire- because they are handy as hell.

Check your fuse block location; most vehicles I've seen in last 10 years
or so have an extra accessory location or two; the pickups (a Chevy and
a Dodge) have two 30A fused spare locations. Makes it a "piece o' cake"
to do so and fused besides w/ a neat install.

I put the fuel transfer tank pumps on them to get rid of the cables w/
an inside-mounted keyed switch to minimize the ease of somebody emptying
the tanks into _their_ vehicles. At nearly $4/gal, losing 150 gal
of diesel isn't chump change any more...and far more prevalent an
occurrence than used to be, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Jim Elbrecht typed:
wrote:

I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to
this (perhaps an older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

They're handy, but. . . hey take a while, and I managed
to do $500 worth of damage to my wiring harness with one.
My mechanic says they are good for his business.
They are marginally too much power for most power outlets
so they work fine until the stars align and you run them
a little longer than normal -- then they melt the harness
together.

I think I'll put another power outlet under the hood with
a bigger gauge wire- because they are handy as hell.
-snip-

Would a small compressor like this work?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G9

Yes. IMO that's more than enough for what you've stated you want to do. Has
a good set of specs that well match the bigger ones except for the size of
the tank and probably run-time of the motor for a larger tank. The output
psi setting is accurate; e.g. when it says 40 or 60 or 90 say, that s the
precse output psi you will achieve. Didn't notice whether it would run on a
cigarette lighter but it's going to run fine on 120 V ac as long as your
wiring/amp specs meet or beat its requirements.
Looks like a good deal. HATE mail-in rebates, though!

HTH,

Twayne`

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
[...]

Get one that runs off the house current, not the car's battery.

Compressors have two measures: Maximum pressure (PSI) and cubic feet per
minute (CFM). For tires, CFM is relatively meaningless - you've got all day.
Where CFM matters is using air tools where the compressor has to keep up
with the tool. For piddly jobs around the house, 90-100 PSI and 1 CFM should
be sufficient. These specs are adequate for inflating tires, using a brad or
staple gun, and blowing the sawdust out of your pocket comb.

An acceptable compressor, for $60, is he
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2011 7:54 AM, HeyBub wrote:
bob wrote:
[...]

That's the one I discussed. I apparently got it at its cheapest.
Notice there are no accessories.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:44:53 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 8/9/2011 7:54 AM, HeyBub wrote:

An acceptable compressor, for $60, is he
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

That's the one I discussed. I apparently got it at its cheapest.
Notice there are no accessories.

I got the same one but it's red, with accessories which includes
hose, brad gun, tire chuck and air gun.
http://www.sears.com/evolv-3-gallon-...p-00915206000P
It was $59.99 when I bought it last year. Guess it was "on sale" when
I was in there picking p a saw.
Sears marks down tool prices sometimes.
Even at $79 it's a better deal than at Harbor Freight.
I was doing 3 rooms of new woodwork so the just the brad gun made it
worth the price.
For the brad gun it doesn't come on often.
For a 15" car tire of standard width down to say 20 psi you have to
fill it at least twice to get to 35 psi and it takes about 5-7 minutes
to get your tire up, versus 5-10 seconds with a good compressor.
Since there's no clip-on you have to hold the chuck the entire time
and if your back or legs are bad it's a PITA.
Better than nothing, but I got my tires refitted so I don't have to
worry about checking them every week.
For a scooter the 12v is fine for pumping up.
I carried them in cars/vans for years and they work, but slow.
So what, they clip on so you can walk away.
Get a stick or dial tire gauge. A lot cheaper than that trigger gauge
and probably just as accurate.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-645075-.htm
DA wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

An acceptable compressor, for $60, is he

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

It's true, you can get this one at HF for only $39 with a coupon but I
would have to say it's only barely passable. At 3 Gal and 100 psi it just
does not store enough air to do anything but adjust 4 tires from 32 to 35
psi, and that's if you don't have any air escaping for any reason. I also
have a 6 Gal/135 psi compressor and I can just grab it and inflate the
tires (well, not from 0 to 35 of course) of two cars using just the stored
air, then plug it in when I'm done. Problem is: the 6Gal one is three
times as heavy as the 3Gal HF pancake and so I'm using the small one now
and doing one car at at time.

So, if you can keep it plugged in while you're inflating those tires and
the tires are not too big, it should suffice.

-------------------------------------
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , bob wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking of getting a compressor with a tire chuck. I believe this
is more like the ones at gas station which I like -- you push the tire
chuck onto the valve stem with one hand, press a "trigger" with the
other hand and the air starts pumping. Release the trigger and a
built-in gauge shows the pressure fairly accurately.

Would a small compressor like this work?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...No=9&block Ty
pe=G9

Shop around. The same hundred dollars buys you this at Lowe's:
http://www.lowes.
com/pd_103500-43657-FP209599DI_4294795218_4294937087_?productId=120553 5

I'll probably buy a tire chuck like this as well:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...kNo=21&blo ck
Type=G21

For Heaven's sake, why?? Both the Sears compressor you're looking at, and the
one at Lowe's, come with a tire chuck and a gauge on the compressor. Why would
you buy an extra tire chuck you don't need, for nearly half the cost of the
compressor? If you're planning to spend over $140 already, spend a bit more
for this:
http://www.lowes.
com/pd_253750-70-C2002-WK_4294795218_4294937087_?productId=1072413

I never owned or used a compressor, so I'd like to hear others' opinions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , bob
wrote: [...]

[...]

Same one I got years back just an older model. Awesome, portable.

Just last week discovered a slow leak in the morning on one tire. Pumped
tire up planning to get it fixed after work. Just in case I lost too
much air during work, pumped up compressor and threw it in the trunk. If
too low when I got out of work, just bring hose out of trunk and
inflate.

I did get the combo kit because I absolutely needed the finishing & brad
nailer.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Later on I bought a factory warranty Porter Cable roofing nailer online
for $125...a year ago got an air assisted hardwood flooring nailer
online for $120. Boy are they a breeze compared to the straight arm &
hammer.

I never owned or used a compressor, so I'd like to hear others'
opinions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:15:19 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

I did get the combo kit because I absolutely needed the finishing & brad
nailer.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I bought this PC Combo kit maybe 7-years ago. The finish nailer I
would guess, has had 25,000 finish nails through the gun. Dropped
guns, beat-up compressor and they keep ticking along.

Later on I bought a factory warranty Porter Cable roofing nailer online
for $125...a year ago got an air assisted hardwood flooring nailer
online for $120. Boy are they a breeze compared to the straight arm &
hammer.

I borrow my friends PC framing nailer now and then :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-09, Oren wrote:

I borrow my friends PC framing nailer now and then :-/

Define "framing". Number 16 box nails through 40 ft of hose? Still, those
nailers work only every few seconds, at most. An impact wrench running long
enough to take off a commercial tire shop's impacted lugnut is quite
another thing. Gotta have the pressure AND the CFM.

How cool are air tools? I change out a water pump, including removal
of front grill and radiator, and had it all buttoned back up within 40
mins! Admittedly, a '74 Dodge van is the easiest vehicle on earth to
work on, but it woulda been a 2-3 hr job without air. A 3/8" drive
butterfly impact wrench is a joy to hold and use!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-09, Oren wrote:

I borrow my friends PC framing nailer now and then :-/

Define "framing". Number 16 box nails through 40 ft of hose? Still, those
nailers work only every few seconds, at most. An impact wrench running long
enough to take off a commercial tire shop's impacted lugnut is quite
another thing. Gotta have the pressure AND the CFM.

16d nails. Just on my kit I can sink a few nails to repair the fascia
board. Nothing fancy.

How cool are air tools? I change out a water pump, including removal
of front grill and radiator, and had it all buttoned back up within 40
mins! Admittedly, a '74 Dodge van is the easiest vehicle on earth to
work on, but it woulda been a 2-3 hr job without air. A 3/8" drive
butterfly impact wrench is a joy to hold and use!

nb

I have a full drawer with numerous air tools. Some are 30-years-old.
Others? 25.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been a while, but I think my 1974 Dodge Dart, didn't
need to take the radiator out to change the fuel pump. The
slant six were easier than the V-8, 318.

And air tools sure make the job go better.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"notbob" wrote in message

How cool are air tools? I change out a water pump,
including removal
of front grill and radiator, and had it all buttoned back up
within 40
mins! Admittedly, a '74 Dodge van is the easiest vehicle on
earth to
work on, but it woulda been a 2-3 hr job without air. A
3/8" drive
butterfly impact wrench is a joy to hold and use!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps
an older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

Why would you buy a compressor? Buy an air tank such as:

http://toolmonger.com/2007/03/03/dea...r-tank-for-17/

The one on my work truck is prolly 8 years old, used regularly, exposed
to the elements (durable), and very cheap. If you buy a 'good' compressor
you've paid too much to air up scooter tires. If you get a cheap one, they
usually fail within a year. Fill it at your local station, it'll hold enough
air
for your tires for a year. If not, you need new tubes/tires. If too heavy,
move down to a 5 gal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"83LowRider" wrote in
:

bob wrote:
I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps
an older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

Why would you buy a compressor? Buy an air tank such as:

http://toolmonger.com/2007/03/03/dea...n-air-tank-for
-17/

Those things are a f'n joke. It can only fill until the pressure in the
tank & tire are equalized. So, you load up the gas station unit with
quarters and see IF it can pump up the tank with 135 PSI. Ooops! timed
out. More quarters. Later you try to inflate any normal size tire (not
bicycle, wheelbarrow, handtruck, 30 series pothole disaster tires).
Transfer tank volume runs out when equalized at maybe 20 PSI. Good
enough, go to gas station, load up machine with quarters, finish pumping
up tire, hurry to fill transfer tank too, ****-timed out and only at 70
PSI, more quarters. There! Done!! That was easy.

"... really handy when you want to air up a tire in a place where you
can’t easily get electrical power or stretch a hose."

errr...you pump up a compressor, disconnect and take it anywhere needed.
It doesn't need to be plugged in to discharge ya know.

The one on my work truck is prolly 8 years old, used regularly,
exposed to the elements (durable), and very cheap. If you buy a 'good'
compressor you've paid too much to air up scooter tires. If you get a
cheap one, they usually fail within a year. Fill it at your local
station, it'll hold enough air
for your tires for a year. If not, you need new tubes/tires. If too
heavy, move down to a 5 gal.

WTF is a prolly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Those things are a f'n joke. It can only fill until the pressure in
the tank & tire are equalized. So, you load up the gas station unit
with quarters and see IF it can pump up the tank with 135 PSI. Ooops!
timed out. More quarters. Later you try to inflate any normal size
tire (not bicycle, wheelbarrow, handtruck, 30 series pothole disaster
tires). Transfer tank volume runs out when equalized at maybe 20 PSI.
Good enough, go to gas station, load up machine with quarters, finish
pumping up tire, hurry to fill transfer tank too, ****-timed out and
only at 70 PSI, more quarters. There! Done!! That was easy.

Who the **** would pay for air? The OP said he used it to air his
scooter tires. A 10 gal tank at 100psi will hold enough air to
pump his tires for a year. Nice rant tho.

"... really handy when you want to air up a tire in a place where you
can't easily get electrical power or stretch a hose."

errr...you pump up a compressor, disconnect and take it anywhere
needed. It doesn't need to be plugged in to discharge ya know.

And if the sole use is his scooter tires, how does that apply?
Do you think he intends to strap it to his bike?

The one on my work truck is prolly 8 years old, used regularly,
exposed to the elements (durable), and very cheap. If you buy a
'good' compressor you've paid too much to air up scooter tires. If
you get a cheap one, they usually fail within a year. Fill it at
your local station, it'll hold enough air
for your tires for a year. If not, you need new tubes/tires. If too
heavy, move down to a 5 gal.

WTF is a prolly?

WTF is a RedGreen or 'ofeeeeeended'?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only free air is a bike pump you fish out of a trash
can. Otherwise, we all pay for compressed air in some form
or other. I bought a compressor. What yah gonna do?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"83LowRider"
wrote in message ...

Who would pay for air? The OP said he used it to air his
scooter tires. A 10 gal tank at 100psi will hold enough air
pump his tires for a year. Nice rant tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The only free air is a bike pump you fish out of a trash
can. Otherwise, we all pay for compressed air in some form
or other. I bought a compressor. What yah gonna do?

Many of our local convenience stores have the quarter machines
available (usually 50 cents to a dollar), but all service stations
around me still offer free air. The WalMart a mile from me has
a tire/service center that I usually fill my tank at. I guess it's
still true --- location location location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"83LowRider" wrote in news:j1s261$fb3$1@dont-
email.me:

Red Green wrote:
Those things are a f'n joke. It can only fill until the pressure in
the tank & tire are equalized. So, you load up the gas station unit
with quarters and see IF it can pump up the tank with 135 PSI. Ooops!
timed out. More quarters. Later you try to inflate any normal size
tire (not bicycle, wheelbarrow, handtruck, 30 series pothole disaster
tires). Transfer tank volume runs out when equalized at maybe 20 PSI.
Good enough, go to gas station, load up machine with quarters, finish
pumping up tire, hurry to fill transfer tank too, ****-timed out and
only at 70 PSI, more quarters. There! Done!! That was easy.

Who the **** would pay for air? The OP said he used it to air his
scooter tires. A 10 gal tank at 100psi will hold enough air to
pump his tires for a year.

Nice rant tho.

"Thanks for listening" :-) It was something to do while watching the
market rebound this morning.

"... really handy when you want to air up a tire in a place where you
can't easily get electrical power or stretch a hose."

errr...you pump up a compressor, disconnect and take it anywhere
needed. It doesn't need to be plugged in to discharge ya know.

And if the sole use is his scooter tires, how does that apply?
Do you think he intends to strap it to his bike?

OP didnt't say sole use. Just said he had a PITA scooter.

The one on my work truck is prolly 8 years old, used regularly,
exposed to the elements (durable), and very cheap. If you buy a
'good' compressor you've paid too much to air up scooter tires. If
you get a cheap one, they usually fail within a year. Fill it at
your local station, it'll hold enough air
for your tires for a year. If not, you need new tubes/tires. If too
heavy, move down to a 5 gal.

WTF is a prolly?

WTF is a RedGreen or 'ofeeeeeended'?

WTF is a RedGreen

You don't know cuz you prolly spend too much time in those AOL "rooms".

or 'ofeeeeeended'?

Whiney ass modern day people who go into crisis mode and need counseling
because someone called them a faggot and said there mother wears army
boots. They're ofeeeeeended at everything.

Somewhat different in my single digit years.

"Stanley, you are the stupidest asshole pollock I ever met."

"Well Tony, it's better than being a ****ing slime ball guinea
like you."

Tony pops Stanley in the face. Stanley gets Tony down, sits on
his head and farts.

Later that day Stanley & Tony are having a ball building a
buggie out of various crap they scrounged up. They both go home
later and each mom ask them what they did today. "Ah, nothin'
really. Me and Stanley/Tony just played."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Who the **** would pay for air? The OP said he used it to air his
scooter tires. A 10 gal tank at 100psi will hold enough air to
pump his tires for a year.

Nice rant tho.

"Thanks for listening" :-) It was something to do while watching the
market rebound this morning.

Likely temporary.. There will be no stability in any of the markets
until we dump our current prez.

And if the sole use is his scooter tires, how does that apply?
Do you think he intends to strap it to his bike?

OP didnt't say sole use. Just said he had a PITA scooter.

I didn't catch that PITA part, but if it has leaking tires, it's
indeed a PITA scooter.

WTF is a prolly?

WTF is a RedGreen or 'ofeeeeeended'?

WTF is a RedGreen

You don't know cuz you prolly spend too much time in those AOL
"rooms".

Ahhh, so you prolly did know what prolly means.

or 'ofeeeeeended'?

Whiney ass modern day people who go into crisis mode and need
counseling because someone called them a faggot and said there mother
wears army boots. They're ofeeeeeended at everything.

That would cover most of todays whiney ass youth then.

Somewhat different in my single digit years.

"Stanley, you are the stupidest asshole pollock I ever met."

"Well Tony, it's better than being a ****ing slime ball guinea
like you."

Tony pops Stanley in the face. Stanley gets Tony down, sits on
his head and farts.

My brother (being ten years older than me) used to win that game
all the time. My only hope was a sneak attack.

Later that day Stanley & Tony are having a ball building a
buggie out of various crap they scrounged up. They both go home
later and each mom ask them what they did today. "Ah, nothin'
really. Me and Stanley/Tony just played."

Oh sure, the fart game is all well and good til someone lets slip
a wet one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Somewhat different in my single digit years.

"Stanley, you are the stupidest asshole pollock I ever met."

"Well Tony, it's better than being a ****ing slime ball guinea
like you."

Tony pops Stanley in the face. Stanley gets Tony down, sits on
his head and farts.

Later that day Stanley & Tony are having a ball building a
buggie out of various crap they scrounged up. They both go home
later and each mom ask them what they did today. "Ah, nothin'
really. Me and Stanley/Tony just played."

Males insult each other, but they're only joking; females praise each other,
but they're joking, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
[...]

PepBoys and Harbor Freight sell nice little 12V compressors that plug into
your cig lighter or clip onto the battery posts. NOT the yellow plastic
$7 POS,but the metal ones,they go for around $20,PepBoys had their
MasterFlow MF-1040 on sale for $14 after rebate,I have one,and it's
good.150PSI.
It does tires fine.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Does air compressor make good tire inflator?

In ,
83LowRider typed:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

Why keep trolling the same boring tripe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:

WTF is a prolly?

WTF is a RedGreen or 'ofeeeeeended'?

Why keep trolling the same boring tripe?

Well, let's see... I've lurked around here for a long time.
I made my first post ever here, in this thread telling
the OP he may want to consider a holding tank. Seems
on topic so we'll discount my first ever post.

My second ever post is a reply to RedGreen, when
you throw this turd in the pool. Since we're discounting
my first post (as it was on topic) it seems at the time of
your reply, that your boring tripe reply to me is equal to
my boring tripe reply to RG.

And good luck with your valiant efforts to clean up
USENET... God knows it's long overdue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
with some various tips and air chucks and so on. I've been
satisfied with it. Wait a while, they come down around $40
on sale, now and again.

They make a clip on air chuck, can't find it on the web.
About $5.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-09, bob wrote:
I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps an
older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

Worthless junk! Any inflator that runs off your car battery or claims
to be oiless is useless.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G9

No. A bigger version of the useless doorstop, above.

I'll probably buy a tire chuck like this as well:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...lo ckType=G21

I never owned or used a compressor, so I'd like to hear others' opinions.

You should think abut what you going to use this thing for, in the
long run. A serious compressor is a serious tool and can be a
lifesaver in oh so many ways. As one poster stated, that pancake
compressor can blow the dust off your comb. So what? I can do that
when I whistle. It can run a staple gun? So can my hand. I'm sorry,
but these are all junk for the handyman who is intimidated by changing
a lightbulb. If you want a serious source of air power, you buy a
serious air compressor. That air chuck you gave a link to is a
serious air tool requiring a serious supply of air, that you'll never
get from these rinky-dink wannabe compressors.

If you want a serious air compressor, you buy an AC or gas driven oil
compressor with an adequate air storage tank. It should deliver a min
of 10 CFM (cubic ft per min) at 100 psi (lbs per sq in). I'd say 40
gal tank, min. 90 gals is way better. What will this get you? It
will supply you with the kind of air supply you USED to find a most
any good gas station, but seldom do, any longer. And, unlike another
poster claimed, CFM DOES matter. It's what allows you to drive a 1/2"
impact wrench long enough to take 5-6 lug nuts off a wheel on your
car. The 40 gal tank gives you enough reserve air storage to remove
all 5-6 lugnuts without waiting 30 seconds for the air pressure to
build back up. Once you discover the wonderful world of air power,
you'll buy all kinds of air tools. Drills, chisels, files, impact
wrenches, ratchets, etc. Air power is awesome and revolutionized
railroads and transportation. Embrace it, use it, love it!!

Sorry.... got carried away.

All evangalizing aside, it's better to have a good compressor than
those plastic piston pieces of ptui, most often described as
"inflators". HA! You can buy one like I describe for as little as
$300. Do it. You won't be sorry. It will open up a whole new world
of air driven possibilities.

As for your commercial grade air chuck you like so much, it needs REAL
air. Here's why. When you go to inflate a totally flat tire, it may
be off the bead. In other words, you've lost or partially lost the
seal between wheel and tire. One of those lil' wimpy inflators will
NOT supply enough CFM to overcome the rate of leak from that lost
seal. IOW, the air will leak out faster than the wimpy inflator can
deliver it. A good high CFM air supply might be enough and usually
is, but you'll never get it from a battery compressor cuz they have an
oilless plastic piston the size of your pinkie finger and deliver
about 0.015 CFM, or about 1 PSI per hr! If your tire is just low on
pressure and you just want to get it back up and you have a few hours,
go for it. I'd rather find a gas station. OTOH, even most stations
now have those same oilless compressors with no air reserve and a
slightly larger piston, the size of you thumb, and cost up to a
dollar!, so they deliver about 1 PSI per minute. Down 10 psi? Ten
mins! Snore.

If you have a motor home, etc, and want the best of both worlds,
portability and adequate pressure, do like one other poster
recommended, buy an air storage tank. Looks like your gas bbq/grill's
propane tank. $10-15, refillable, and has what you need to drive that
nice air chuck you like so much ....for about 5 seconds! But, that
may be enough. Still beats an "inflator".

That's my opinion. You asked for it.

nb --lifetime mechanic and longtime air compressor owner
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote in
:

On 2011-08-09, bob wrote:
I have an electric tire inflator that looks similar to this (perhaps
an older model):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...2875116000.jpg

Worthless junk! Any inflator that runs off your car battery or claims
to be oiless is useless.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...dNo=9&blockNo=
9&blockType=G9

No. A bigger version of the useless doorstop, above.

I'll probably buy a tire chuck like this as well:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...dNo=21&blockNo
=21&blockType=G21

[...]

You don't like pancakes. I'm ofeeeeeended.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote in :

[...]

Get yourself a decent dial gauge with a bleeder. IMO, even the low end
ones are better than those on-hose ones.

http://tinyurl.com/3wxjxj4

A really decent one:

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-T.../dp/B000COS8FI
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-09, Red Green wrote:

Get yourself a decent dial gauge with a bleeder. IMO, even the low end
ones are better than those on-hose ones.

http://tinyurl.com/3wxjxj4

A really decent one:

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-T.../dp/B000COS8FI

Yikes! That's a bit of overkill. I bought one like the smaller
Victors and have had it banging around in my glove compartment and/or
toolbox for 25 yrs. Still dead-on within +/- 2 psi. OTOH, that $40
model would be good for checking the calibration or the $7 Victor.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-09, Red Green wrote:

Get yourself a decent dial gauge with a bleeder. IMO, even the low end
ones are better than those on-hose ones.

http://tinyurl.com/3wxjxj4

A really decent one:

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-T.../dp/B000COS8FI

Yikes! That's a bit of overkill. I bought one like the smaller
Victors and have had it banging around in my glove compartment and/or
toolbox for 25 yrs. Still dead-on within +/- 2 psi. OTOH, that $40
model would be good for checking the calibration or the $7 Victor.

nb

Yep, the Victor is the one I went for and still have.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Tire-Gauge-with-Bleeder---Dial---Mini-Victor_1060034-P_N3192_A|GRP2068_____