Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attn: Anyone? - A real puzzler leaking windowŠ

Hi and thanks for looking in,

I have a two story 1940s brick house. There is an upstairs west-facing
bedroom window that is never a problem. Right below that is a large
downstairs west-facing window that is the problem. Both windows have
been thoroughly calked and recalked.

When it just plain rains, no matter how heavily, there is no problem.
But when the rain is blowing in from the SW, rainwater drips in from
the top molding of that downstairs window.

Now, I can stand outside with the hose on full blast and soak that
entire west-facing wall all day if I wanted to and there wouldn't even
be a drop of water from that molding.

But when the rain blows in from the SW, it drips. And every year, it
drips a little more than it did the year before.

Anyone who has solved a problem drip like that - please tell me how you
did it. You'll be appreciated more than you'd ever know,

Thanks for reading this far.
Mike Sully
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attn: Anyone? - A real puzzler leaking windowS

"Mike Sully" wrote in message

[...]

My guess is that the window is not leaking, but roof flashing or something
not easily seen and water is running inside the wall. Are you standing on
the ground with the hose? Maybe it needs a little higher angle of attack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Mike Sully" wrote in message

[...]

Second that. The leak is in the roof, not the window. And the leak could be
almost anywhere on the roof, including the peak.

Can you inspect inside the attic? That might give you a clue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 05:48:48 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:
"Mike Sully" wrote in message

When it just plain rains, no matter how heavily, there is no problem.
But when the rain is blowing in from the SW, rainwater drips in from
the top molding of that downstairs window.

My guess is that the window is not leaking, but roof flashing or something
not easily seen and water is running inside the wall.

Maybrobably (1) the sill, or (2) the lintel of the window above.

The sills of older brick homes (like mine) were often just a soldier
course. As the house settles (and weathers) those bricks can
completely seperate from the mortar, and you can barely see it (like
mine).

We're solving the same problem (SW corner) with $7000 of tuckpointing.

I'd check the suspect sill/s by tapping them with a hammer and/or
trying to wiggle them out, see if they're loose.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2011 2:06 AM, Mike Sully wrote:

[...]

Just a WAG, but I'd suspect a small leak in outside flashing of upstairs
window (or higher), and water is traveling down INSIDE the wall until it
runs into downstairs window. Previous owner here had to replace kitchen
window because FU'd wrap on gutter fascia put water on top of soffit,
where it ran over to wall, got behind siding, and ran down to window.

'Blows in from the SW' is a good clue. Get up there on a ladder, and
look at cracks or areas with evidence of ponding, that face southwest.
And in general, look for even tiny-looking cracks in mortar, and around
the lintel above both windows. Being 1940s, the tail end of 'real' brick
construction, are your walls 3 layers of brick, or brick veneer over
conventional studding? I suspect a little tuckpointing, or maybe even
just a carefully applied tube of faux mortar caulking, might dry you
right up. If the wall looks good, time to move higher, to the fascia and
roof. Get up in attic with a bright droplight, and look for water trails
or mold in that corner of attic- you could have a bad shingle, or
worn-out seal on a vent stack or something.

Most of us have been there- intermittent leaks are a real PITA to track
down.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:06:24 -0700, Mike Sully
wrote:

[...]

Are these stationary windows with weep holes (drains)? For a
stationary window they have been known to be installed upside down,
with weep holes at the top instead of the bottom. They collect water
and drip inside. If they have weep drains make sure they are not
clogged with dirt, etc...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attn: Anyone? - A real puzzler leaking windowÅ*

On Aug 1, 2:06*am, Mike Sully wrote:
[...]

Could be the roof, masonry, upstairs window two windows over. Old
brick work can soak up water like a sponge. Old house means it a real
brick wall 2 or three layers of brick thick with a space between them.
Drill some holes in the mortar near the foundation and see if water
drains out. Another clue to this may be if the brick on the bottom of
the house stay wet for a long time after the top dries out....compare
to the opposite side of the house where you dont have a problem.

Jimmie

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thank you both!

I'm off to find a ladder and a magnifying glass.

I WILL let you know how it turns out.

Your brand new best friend, :-)
Mike

A good Car Talk Puzzler jeff_wisnia[_2_] Metalworking 47 April 22nd 11 03:54 PM
Another RCD puzzler Luke UK diy 58 November 10th 10 06:33 PM
Christmas Light Puzzler - HELP Reactor Electronics Repair 21 December 12th 07 02:58 AM
International Real Estate Directory -Find Real Estate, Rentals, Real Estate Services, Real Estate Agents and Brokers. MyDirectory Home Repair 0 December 28th 06 08:57 PM
PUZZLER??? Jack the Lad UK diy 12 February 7th 04 04:59 PM